1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next Texans Head Coach (and GM)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gucci888, Oct 5, 2020.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. Remix

Remix Member

The ****ing "Team Chaplain" is costing the organization a chance at the best candidates who can actually make a difference going forward. The fact he wasn't fired along with B'OB is a ****ing joke and tells you a lot about Cal McNair.

Why does being a Houston sports fan have to be so excruciating

gatsby, red5rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. Fantasma Negro

4. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I don't believe him entirely, because he's trying to push a book for the time being and would do anything to generate personal good will (however he did take the bullet for firing Palcic). It is good that the Easterby issue has risen this far up the list of fan's grievances (in a 2-7 season) and hilarious that they have to actually address it like "no come on guys we're not that dumb."

5. Texanstradamus

I’m stopped paying Attention to Matt Miller when he had bridgewater as the 1# overall pick and compared him to Aaron Rodgers

But with that said For some one to be holding so much power he is awfully quit after he was in damn near every interview this offseason. I do think that once the GM comes in with full control easterby will be gone

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

that was one of the dumbest things ive ever heard

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Coo

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

to think that Cal McNair needs a platoon of 10+ different people to help him select a coach and GM is pretty telling.

everyone in the world knows who the top 5-7 candidates could be. why spend millions to have someone tell you that? bring in the obvious guys and make the best selection.

Just more concerned with the net profits than establishing a winning culture. McNair will never feel the pride of building anything. It will always be some other guys creation.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Couldn’t disagree more. We’ve seen firsthand how much Cal can be influenced by the people around him. I mean look at all that BoB and Easterby was been able to convince him to do since he took over. Hell there is still actual concern that Easterby could snake his way in as the permanent GM.

I actually find it much more comforting that he’ll be consulting with folks outside the organization. Don’t care how much it costs him. You need as many people as possible telling him f*ck no to Easterby first and foremost.

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

he shouldnt be an owner of an NFL team if he doesnt know how the in's and outs work. He saw his daddy run this team for a while, and he never picked up anything. The Billy Madison of NFL owners over here with an MBA from UT and no common sense? Maybe Janice should be more involved seems like she has more balls.

Who's to say that this consulting firm doesnt have an agenda too? What if they sell Cletus on some hotshot D3 coach?

Dabo
    Bienemy
    Brady
    McDaniels

pick one.

the money is incidental, the optics are cringe inducing. AFter all the consulting fee's we hear that Romeo and Easterby might "run it back" for next year? And all because they cant do face to face interviews because of Covid???

Leadership starts from the top down - if Cal had the stones to ax Obrien in season he should feel as strongly about setting up his staff. Sure get advice, ask around, but make that YOUR decision.

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

edit: FWIW Korn Ferry was responsible for the hire of Bill OBrien.

12. gucci888

Trust me I believe Cal is as inept as they come but not sure what you are complaining about exactly. It will be his decision and he is doing exactly what you are suggesting, getting advice and asking around. He’s just doing it formally with the leading firm in the industry.

And no Korn Ferry is not coming with an agenda or suggesting some D3 coach. They best serve themselves by adding more and more successful hires to their resume. They are far from batting 1.000 but I’d much rather them do a lot of the legwork than guys Cal has chosen to surround himself with (namely Easterby).

And yes they did suggest BoB but honestly it wasn’t a bad hire until Cal lost complete control over him. They also suggested the Seahawks GM/Pete Carroll and Dan Quinn who took their teams to Super Bowls. Their full list is extremely hit or miss. But this has more to do with how I feel about the Texans FO vs Korn Ferry.

#332 gucci888, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Verbal Christ likes this.
  13. Fantasma Negro

14. gucci888

Pure delusion.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think he understands. Everything he says is EXACTLY what fans don’t want to hear.

gatsby and Buck Turgidson like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

LOL.

If you were an NFL front office guy with any chops whatsoever...would you take this job (promotion) knowing that you would have this chiseler looking over your shoulder and going to the owner and/or media behind your back, or would you say "no thanks" and wait on a better situation?

But hey, it's all ok, because those certain posters have kept saying " Easterby won't be involved" "Someone has to be the temporary GM" "Easterby won't be the GM" over and over. Good ol' Texans.

#336 Buck Turgidson, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  17. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

Why are all houston teams going to hell? It’s so depressing

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

John McClain said something totally different after his conversation with McNair the SAME day. Easterby's fate is will be decided by the new GM. He said he doesn't know what was said to Schefty.

red5rocket likes this.
  19. gucci888

Schefter isn’t putting that in quotation marks unless that is exactly what was said to him. So either McClain is pulling this out of thin air or Cal is losing it.

20. Buck Turgidson

At this point it doesn't matter. You're down to B/C level talent, unless someone shocks me.

Will be the same with the HC I'm afraid.

red5rocket likes this.