1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

55% of Americans have shares in the stock market...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by London'sBurning, Nov 18, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you want to decrease homelessness
    remove access to heroin, alcohol, and meth

the main reason homeless people don't want to be homeless shelters is that they don't have drugs

London'sBurning likes this.
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Yall just got some FB Tinman

Appreciate it

tinman likes this.
  3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think the percentage that owns individual stocks is much lower, because that pool includes mutual funds and retirement accounts right?

pgabriel and tinman like this.
  4. tinman

Supporting Member

I will quote a great American when he talks about capitalism:

What is this, a blizzard, that I can't have money in my pocket
    And people not talk about me?
    This world is a trip; I don't know what's going on these days
    Got this person over here talking about me, this person
    Ay, listen, let me tell you something, it's my prerogative
    I can do what I wanna do

I made this money, you didn't; right, Ted?

We outta here!

https://genius.com/Bobby-brown-my-prerogative-lyrics

[​IMG]

95% of the D&D don't know who this is

5. tinman

Supporting Member

99ers again asking smart questions cause they are smarter than everybody else
    @Space Ghost

6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

It's a gallup poll, so I'm not entirely convinced it's accurate. When I reference the stock market, I'm more speaking in a broader sense of all types of investments, be they shares, bonds, gold/silver, crypto, property. Whatever has value that is expected to increase over time that you can buy more of.

Like if you start out with a 401k with not much invested yet, don't 401k investors invest into higher risk/reward investments until enough money is deposited to make more secure lower risk/reward investments the more worthwhile option?

#26 London'sBurning, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Trump supporters: F the other 45%. Besides Fox the only non Fake News told them it is solely because the 45% did not have enuf "personal responsibility"

8. tinman

Supporting Member

The stock market has existed for a very long time and has been essential in the success of our economy.
    People who don't invest in it and decide to put their money into a piggy bank can't be mad at people who take risks to invest into companies and corporations that make all the products you are using now to get on this site.

there are people who clearly don't understand basic economics like inflation, depreciation and taxes.

look people can do whatever they want to make earn more money, but selling crack on the corner is pretty dangerous.
    Most of us stick to investing.

@London'sBurning

9. tinman

Supporting Member

For the people who don't like making money, please give it to me and @Ziggy and @Jontro

we'll give it to some girls at Treasures, they're probably going to take half of it and invest it in Tesla and Amazon like the rest of us.

Jontro and Ziggy like this.
  10. tinman

Supporting Member

@London'sBurning @Ziggy @Space Ghost @rocketsjudoka @RayRay10

Society is telling you that there's only 2 ways of thinking and the majority of people do this except for the few smart ones like Elon Musk and the people I tagged above.

When James T Kirk was at Star Fleet Academy they told him that the Kobayashi Maru Scenario was a no win scenario and cannot be solved.
    Yet James T Kirk changed the rules so he thought out of the box not in one direction or another.
    @Xerobull

We're the James T Kirks of the world

You are all just Borg

Xerobull likes this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

I got a B in economics
    and it's obviously some of you decided to not take that class and got a C in Art History by cheating with the pictures of the Baroque paintings in your sleeve

D&D = Art History Dropouts who are mad that didn't invest in the stock market and now are stuck working at Subway or the GAP

@pgabriel

12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm here because Tinman tagged me but read quickly through the OP's proposal.

It's interesting and I agree that lack of personal savings and investment is a huge problem with US society. In Singapore they mandate that individuals have to put aside a certain amount of their salary into a "Central Provident Fund (CPF)" The CPF acts as a social security, health saving account, and rainy day fund. It can only be used under certain conditions.

As others have noted in the US Social Security is supposed to fill the goal that you are looking at in terms of a mandated savings. Social Security isn't tied to the stock market because while the market over the long term rises doesn't mean that at any given time you will recoup your investment. For example anyone that was planning on retiring in 2008 was in for a big unpleasant surprise. The other problem I can see with your idea is that while giving everyone an investment tool for many they don't invest because they can't afford it. While many Americans do spend frivolously many more's paycheck ends up being spent every month just paying rent/mortgage, health insurance, food, and other necessary expenses. The idea behind UBI is that it will help cover those immediate costs.

Another issue that is frequently brought up here is that personal debt is negative savings that is a drag on wealth generation.

I think if we can address those first that might be more of a benefit economically than providing an individual market investment funded through payroll taxes.

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

We've been conditioned to grow the economy with consumer debt and handouts to corporations. This country has experienced economic growth based on increased disposable income of the average American in a long time.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The GOP didnt kill pensions

Globalization killed pensions

Democrats dont make Hispanics come here and dont make jobs go to China.

Globalization does that.

People who are upset at pensions need to stop living in the past. We had an economic advantage over everyone while they had to rebuild after WWII. Now we have to compete

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Everyone can invest. Middle class invest in 401ks. Letting the economy collapse benefits no one

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I never thought we'd be staring down the barrel of a race war. Still don't think we are (but who knows).

But I think a war between those that can retire and those that cannot is looming at some point unless somebody does something. For whatver reason, nobody can retire anymore, nobody is planning for it, and we're kind of just deferring dealing with the issue. We're not cooked yet, but the pot has started boiling.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@DaDakota

When GM filed for bankruptcy in 09, ALL their debt was retired worker obligations

Thats what happened to pensions

#37 pgabriel, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  18. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

When you write "mandate a law," do you mean we force people to open investment accounts? I don't hate the idea, but that's going to be challenged and deemed as unconstitutional. If you mean some giant tax payer funded investment program, I don't hate that either.

London'sBurning and pgabriel like this.
  19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The stock market represents the economy the same way twitter represents the electorate.

London'sBurning likes this.
  20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

What if the $100 can be used for any investment of your choice? SP500 ETF, QQQ, Mixed allocation ETF, Apple, Tesla, 3x leveraged Nasdaq TQQQ, Bitcoin, bull call spread options for additional leverage? This would encourage speculation and gambling on the economy pumping it to incredible levels for traders.

tinman likes this.