1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Update:Houston Murder Rate Rising: post Houston crime here Newbies and Wokies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Nov 18, 2020.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Murder and crime rates rise always when the economy is bad and people do not have income support period.
    The folks who run America consider it cheaper for their interests to try to suppress this by more policing, but this is relatively ineffective and leads to problems as we have seen.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Houston is as sprawling as Los Angeles
    Chicago is more like New York

pgabriel likes this.
  3. tinman

Supporting Member

The projects in Houston and Chicago look different.
    Houston projects are just neighborhoods with homes and apartments

Chicago projects are tall buildings that stick out.
    Makes for good basketball movies

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Ive seen Good Times and ive been to NYC and LA. I want to see Chicago

I lived in Jester Dormitory at UT. There is Jester East and West. They are 14 stories. They were built in the late 40s. I had a roommate who said they were designed by someone who did high rise project buildings

tinman likes this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

Downtown Chicago is awesome
    Just don’t go when it’s freezing

pgabriel likes this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Houston & Chicago have been within a couple hundred K in population since the 80's ...

NYC is just a different animal .... I visited there Once and will never go back - You couldn't pay me enough to live there.

Xerobull likes this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I loved NYC. Been twice. I loved the food variety as well as the food carts. I had some awesome African food there.

Very attracted to the Puerto Rican women. One year i was there for the Puerto Rican Day parade. I love central park, i love that it never sleeps, could go on and on

Nook likes this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

So many of these murderers are out on crazy low felony bonds. Smh at the judges.

Nook likes this.
  9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't much care for crowds of people nor filth ... that city is full of both. It's polluted with people ...

There are nice places and good food .... but in general the place is just nasty and over crowded.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Giuliani cleaned it up. I don't know how dirty it was and i don't know if its dirty now, i doubt it, but when i when i was there in 97 i was shocked how clean it is.

Houston has dirty ghettos because of dumping. Having a lot of space is ripe for dumping. Space aint all its cracked up to be.

That being said thats just a Houston inner city problem

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

pgabriel likes this.
  12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@tinman

Im in Cleveland for a job. A unique situation that had the end day up in the air. Well its ended and my connection to Houston is through Chicago O'Hare tomorrow. I got 2 hrs to connect. I might uber downtown and just go back to airport. Just to see it

Edit: very doable. If first flight is on time i will have 2 hrs and 40 minutes. Can even save and ride train either there or back to airport. It has to be done

#32 pgabriel, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    tinman likes this.
  13. bobrek

From personal experience, I don't think you can make it in 2 hours. But, if you try it... good luck

#33 bobrek, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If first flight is on time i have 2hrs and 40 minutes

15. bobrek

I'm a paranoid airport guy. :) I'd never risk it.

Corrosion and pgabriel like this.
  16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You won't make it

17. Buck Turgidson

Lulz: I asked your boys at google "how large is Chicago metro area?" vs "how large is Houston metro area?"

10,857 sqmi vs 10,062 sqmi

18. tinman

Supporting Member

From Houston to Katy

19. HardenVolumeOne

sadly black americans have to much pride to vote for their best intrests. The crime will continue to rise in our communities with more democrats in office. Its a never ending cycle that started when the state took the father out of the home.

Do nothing democrats.. check this i got WOKE in 2016 after voting twice for obama seeing other groups benefiting from his policies and not me. Oh well, hopefully these 4 years move by rather quickly, and no real damage happens like a war or something

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I had to turn down an offer in Chicago a few weeks ago, triple the rent if I wanted to live near the office, 30-40 miles out if I wanted the same cost and amenities as the current situation, especially any kind of on-site laundry or parking. My last relocation, they paid for everything including full service moving, temporary housing and a separate bonus before my start date to basically cover loss of income, as well as closing costs if I'd wanted to buy a house. If these guys offered any of that, even just save me from weeding out conmen moving companies, it might have been worth considering.