1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biden wants student debt cancellation: Schumer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GreatOne1978, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Here's an example.

My house got flooded in Hurricane Ike. I was on top of **** and filed my insurance claims right way.

18 months later, people who ****ed around for months and still hadn't gotten paid due to backlog, got a check for ~$1,800 from FEMA. I called and said 'where's my check, b****es' and they said it was only for people who hadn't gotten paid yet.

People who have their **** together don't get paid. They don't need to get paid. Yes, there are extenuating circumstances, but for the most part, hustlers are going to recover on their own much faster than those who want to just tread water, destitute, for months or years.

Corrosion likes this.
  2. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

"personal responsibility" The generic idea that a person should try to do their best to work hard and be self supporting is of course good. It is when it is carried over into so many areas, that "personal responsibility" is used as an effective technique to block acknowledgement that it is not enough in to help many people in with so many problems that are socially determined and outside of personal control. If your country is ravaged by war and you become homeless and lose your job, despite good work and education. Other examples are: extreme unemployment, climate change, a ravaging pandemic, bad health, accidents etc.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What’s the extraordinary common circumstance for massive student loan debt?

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

In your linked PDF, it says that 59% of white students took out federal undergraduate loans while black and hispanic students were at 73% and 62% respectively.

Depending on the enrollment numbers of white students, black students, and hispanic students, it's quite possible that a student bailout would benefit white adults more than any other demographic.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I understand what you are saying but that's just an example and surely you know that's what people of a certain persuasion say to paint all recipients as lazy.

Not saying you personally, it just stuck out.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah I thought of that in actual people it would affect more but in impact it would affect minorities more.

Depends on how you look at it.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Sorry bro but your experience is anecdotal. I too got flooded (During Harvey) and filed with FEMA within 24 hours. I got an inspection and paid before the end of October. Bureaucracy isn't simple and mistakes do happen but it's better than nothing. Deregulation has done this for the most part. We allow insurance companies to pick and choose who they cover and when they can just drop out and leave. My House didn't have flood insurance because we weren't even in a 100 year flood plane. Does that make me responsible?

8. Agent94

Agent94 Member

This seems like a dumb idea. What % of people have student loans? This will cost trillions of dollars. What else could that money be used for? This seems like it will reinforce the idea of Democrats being elitist. It's not even equitable within those who have student loans.

It also feeds into the "jumping the line" argument that angers the middle class who feels they bear the burden of taxes without getting anything in return. If you really want to bring in the fed up working class, give everyone an equal check. If you have student loans, then that will help you out. If you need to pay for groceries, it will help you out.

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

seize the endowments to pay off student debt

why is a college grad's debt forgiven, but not the plumber's car payment?

10. glynch

See above and try to expand your news gathering.

11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Fair enough, that's just one example. I talk to everyone and have seen other examples with my own eyes. In a nutshell, waiting for aid is a crapshoot with an uncertain timeline.

12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Stop guaranteeing loans. The money will dry up and not everyone will waste their time in college for that waiter job when they major in something useless and can't pay their loans.

Then having a college degree will actually matter again in the workforce beyond checking a box on an applicaton.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Except previous generations did have to deal with these same economic issues .... particularly on housing and the baby boomers.
    It took two incomes to run a household - that's why so many women are in the workforce now. It was a necessity.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

When you mean previous generations do you mean gen x? Yes, gen x has experienced some of the early effects of housing market inflation and consumer debt crisis. But boomers experienced a far more forgiving economy for single income high school educated blu collar workers.

15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

None of this matters for at least 2 years. The furthest left this country is getting in terms of major legislation is Joe Manchin IF the democrats win the 2 senate seats in Georgia.

16. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

All i have to say is...when you have college football coaches making $8 million per year. I am curious what is the combined salaries of sports coaches vs professors in college.

In other words, why the hell does it cost $20,000 a year to attend a terrible college.

Maybe if things were reasonable priced, people wouldn't have huge loans.

It's always about squeezing another dollar.

Healthcare
    Schools
    Food

Basically the basic necessities cost are sky rocketing. Yet our country keeps using $.50 labor. And we keep reading news how the billionaire, is now 10X richer in less than 10 months.

However you can still buy your favorite t-shirt for $9.99.

#336 MightyMog, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Bullshit.

That generation was the one who put the most women in the workplace , again as a necessity. The mid 70's thru the early 80's were a hard time economically , much worse than anything we've lived thru since.

They didn't call them latch key kids for nothing .... both parents had to work for most households to survive much less thrive.

18. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Back then ppl literally worked SUMMER jobs to pay for college.

jiggyfly likes this.
  19. glynch

A good portion of student loans will never be paid. so you can cut the "trillions of dollars by probably half or more" Like most expenses that help middle class people the "how you going to pay for " argument is suddenly used. Never a question when it comes to bailing out the stock markets, banks or time to replace some obsolete weapons system produced by the one or two sellers on cost plus contracts (free market? lol)

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Nope. Your perceptions don't match statistically. Look at trends like these:
    Home values adjusted for inflation

Average healthcare premiums and deductibles adjusted for inflation

Higher education tuition adjusted for inflation

Those are for most people the most expensive expenses in their lifetimes and all those have been trending upwards in costs greatly outpacing wage increases for the past 50 years. It's gotten progressively worse. You are just flat out wrong.

The people who doing the best the past 50 years at ether people who are already established property owners. Their equity has increased significantly for the past 50 years. They are having it good. Not the people who are looking to be first time home owners. It sucks for them.