1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this team really ready for the playoffs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

I'm a Rockets fan for life. I'm not bashing them with this thread. This thread is on an overall basis, including with last night's game.

I care about the welfare of this team and the players who are on this team. Watching last night's game, the team chemistry is just crap. Francis wants to do one thing, Yao does another, and the rest of the team doesn't know what to do. This had been going on all season. I'm betting JVG and the rest of the coaching staff is getting tired of it. How come this team can't flow?

2. Sane

Sane Member

They lost by one point to possibly the most talented team in league history.

I don't understand this. If it were Denver or Memphis in LA last night, they would've gotten blown out.

3. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ready or not, the Rockets are in.
    Move on.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The reason we don't flow is because of our fundamental weaknesses which have plagued us thoughout the last few years but there is promise for the future if we succeed in getting better players who can fit around Yao.
    I'm very happy that we are in the playoffs and trying hard. This will be a great experience for us and can make us a better team.

5. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

It's an experience thing. It's the first playoff game after five years of the lottery. You can tell at the end the Rockets were a little frenzied and didn't know what to do. But I think one of the commentators said that you don't go from no playoffs to champions in a year, you have to take baby steps I think that the goal is to make this series competitive, win a series or two next year, and then seriously contend in year three.

6. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Lakers are seriously OVERRATED. If they pass Rox, they could get beat hard by Spurs. Despite they have 4 HOFs, it is still a Shaq & Kobe team. And Shaq is nowhere from the level he was two years ago.

In the game down the stretch last night, it was all Steve Francis' one on one penetration. I don't know it was by design or SF felt he had to do that last night. But I know if our offense only has one effective play, no ball movement, no team involvement, Yao and JJ don't show up, then we not gonna win any series despite our outstanding defense.

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Answer- Hardly! The dont even play as a Team , just a bunch of Individuals that give lip service to the fact that Basketball is a Team Game.

8. jacago

jacago Member

Kareem Rush saved lakers' azz

9. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Keep blaming the players -Van Gundy is only the coach..... He has control....

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

6-games in . . and the Rockets game is the only one
    that is close.. . and it is against the most dangerous opponent
    IMO

yet according to the chicken littles that post here
    we just sucked

Rocket River

11. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Well said.

You need to sign off your posts with "Cry Me a Rocket River" :D

12. edc

edc Contributing Member

Very simple. Jeff. Van. Gundy. The man couldn't coach "flow" if his life depended on it.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't know why I bother, but did we even see the same game? How in the hell do you think the Fakers were held to 72 points... by all the guys running around playing their own game, flappin' their lips?

(insert roll-eyes here... feel free, put in a dozen of them)

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Deck.....if you are gonna quote the Snowman....at least erase most of it's dribblings so those of us that use the ignore list dont have to see it...ok?

Appreciate it amigo...;)

15. edc

edc Contributing Member

The Lakers missing open shots in the third quarter helped tremendously.

16. dragonsnake

dragonsnake Contributing Member

It was one of those extremely physical games that take everyone out of flow. The Rockets show great poise after the poor start. They showed championship mental toughness against one of the best teams in a unbelievable hostile environment.

Given this is the first playoff game of many Rockets's players, I am proud to see they hold their own against lakers.

Hope players can learn lessons from this one and bounce back in game 2.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sorry about that... my apologies. :p

18. kbourda

kbourda Member

Well my quick take is, yes this team is ready for the playoffs. Briefly, this team cannot be ran through a center that takes fade away jumpers on every touch that he doesn't pass on. Yao has to understand when your position is in the trenches you have to get dirty. It's a shame when I see our guards go to the hole and draw more fouls than our center. I see nothing but greatness written on the Rockets. They will be fine. Rome wasn't built in a day.