1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nah. Not worth saving with this owner.

saleem likes this.
  2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

man i get it .. its cruel and unusual punishment being a Houston sports fan, but we gotta rise above all that incel, passive aggressive, mopey ass attitude. Just giving up.

You gotta ride. Let management have it and all that good stuff, but when you slouch and bow your head all defeated and walk away thats on you. you live with that.

absolutely right - FU Tilman .. thats what fans do. James wants out? FU too James. FU too Russ. We got TWO RINGS here .. I watched it live. So while you guys forget the good times and become Mavs fans I'll stick around and remind Tilman what a winner looks like.

Rox Nation b****.

jim1961 likes this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If you still, after these laughably embarrassing 3 years with him, still need more time to adequately judge Tilman as an owner, I'm sorry...but LMFAO

lakersuck2, topfive and Ubiquitin like this.
  4. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

absolutely

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm in the Seattle area, so I know first-hand how difficult it is to get an NBA franchise in your city. Once it's gone, you could be looking at decades before it comes back, if it ever does.

Houston got lucky with the Texans because they had someone who was willing to crazy outbid everyone on a new franchise.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This isn't about walking away. Quite the contrary, it's about appreciating the past decades and understanding that we got to be the fans of a team with a solid organization that at least tried to bring a winning team to the fanbase. That's no longer the case, and in that sense, it's an ending. I sincerely wanted to express my appreciation as a fan for everything the organization delivered as I recognize going forward, it's not going to be that way.

Vik, Ubiquitin and J Sizzle like this.
  7. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

The more I look at the past few years the way other teams are structured. I don't think was only Tilman. It is having 2 $40 million dollar contracts on the books, no matter who that is, it makes very difficult to built out a complete team particular in an era where switching and spacing is one of the predominant philosophies.

bulkatron likes this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

suck it up bro. This is TWOSTON Texas .. Clutch City .. the owner is a dumbass, make your presence felt! Hit his twitter up .. hit his insta .. make sure you leave a comment card at his restaurants. Whatever .. be part of the solution!

Dont walk away bro. If you lived through the "loveable losers" era of Kyle Lowry, Goran, Luis, KMart .. then this too shall pass.

I get where you're coming from, but we have to remain stoic. Everything happens for a reason.

9. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

1) he didn’t need to take on more salary with Russ
    2) a title eases a lot of pain. His cost cutting did not put us in a position to win a ring
    3) his refusal to take on salary and to give up picks to shed salary is not indicative of a desire to win

sorry, but other franchises have not thrown away a chance to win it all with a contender featuring arguably the best player in the NBA

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I thought getting Pippen had ruined my Rockets fandom. (Of course Dream declining, and the lean years of Francis era also took a toll.) It took me some years to get back my interest. But Tilman has topped that. He has easily passed Pippen as the most hated person in this organization's history.

11. ball king23

ball king23 Member

at least we did not get this reaction

12. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Just want to be clear. I'm not defending the Westbrook trade. They should have made different moves at that off season, but I just feel by that time the writing was already on the wall, especially when they didn't move on from Dantoni and try something a bit new.

My point is that every blames him for "breaking up the 65 win team" that would have won a title if 1 hamstring stays healthy or a historic 0-27 streak doesn't take place. But it's not like Ariza and Moute were as good players in following year. Moute was even hurt for most of the next season.

Most of the board is just assuming that if they ran it back, they would have certainly matched the success of a 65 win team. But the chances are the team still would not have done that. And would that team had a better chance than wounded Warriors team without Durant for the last 1.3 games? It's not Paul was great in the 2nd playoff run. Of course we will never know, but

I’m just saying everyone wants one villain, 1 person to blame. There is plenty of responsibility to share, and plenty of pieces to this story that have resulted in this situation.

#52 rpr52121, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  13. cur.ve

cur.ve Contributing Member

I was in high school when the Rockets won their championships. Now I'm middle aged. At this rate, not sure if I'll see Houston with the trophies again. This sucks.

Richie_Rich and saleem like this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

that’s not the point

ever since the 17-18 season, Tilman’s primary objective has been cost cutting and avoiding the LT even tho the Rockets were supposed to be a contender aiming for a title...that affects who u target in trades...that affects moves made around the margins to try and improve the roster

Tim MacMahon said today that it seems like the Rockets have given up on trying to convince Harden to stay, but before when the primary objective was trying to salvage the relationship with Harden, it was reported by The Athletic that Tilman was currently hellbent on avoiding the LT for the foreseeable future...that is a great strategy to try and convince Harden to stay

saleem, BHannes2BHonest and HP3 like this.
  15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I would feel for you guys down in Houston, but daddy lives in Sin City!

Just kidding, guys! The franchise should remain in Houston. Las Vegas Rockets doesn't even make sense.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not a consolation but the mighty Spurs are rebuilding at the same time.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder whose rebuild will be faster.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I understand that is all bad ideology, strategy and optics.

My point is that you need very Rocket red-tinted lenses to think that a few moves made around the margins would have clearly or even most likely resulted in a title in 2019 or 2020.

19. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

agree - but the decision to sell picks to duck the tax seem to come from one key person. Do you think Harden and Morey are behind that?

saleem likes this.
  20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Of course, but you could also have a coach better at developing young players and Front Office who recognize that using those picks to draft cheaper quality talent rather than using them nearly exclusively as trade bait for more expensive players. It's like Les was always paying the Tax.

Recognizing the cap restraints with basically the only 1 super-max superstar-led contender, and then essentially the only team with 2 supermax contracts means adapting strategies.