1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Two way contract to Mason Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GreatOne1978, Nov 18, 2020.

1. lionaire

lionaire Member

Okay I'm sold. Rafael got us a real one in Jones.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  2. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

I have no idea why late second round picks and ufa's get me hyped. I was convinced shamorie ponds was going to be a legit. So hard to make it in the league. If were holding harden and russ hostage, diakite is the guy to sign, hes gonna be legit.

fckbandwagons, dje243 and jch1911 like this.
  3. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

This guy is sooooo overlooked. People slept. I doubt he helps immediately but he can ball. Silas could turn this man into a monster.

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It’s tough. Some guys are good enough, but never get the opportunity.

Even Clemons in his 1 start dropped a slick 15-10 game.

It takes a bit of luck.

5. TimDuncanDonaut

Confidence is fine, don't let it get in the way of getting coached. Lot of these kids are #1 in their environment, then gets humbled in the NBA.

FrontRunner likes this.
  6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Because THEY ARE NBA players, just unlucky. With MDT and Morey gone, I'm curious if young players get more run. We'll see.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Everybody should probably get used to fringe NBA players signing for the minimum.

Otherwise this is our offseason, watching other teams actually try and win

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  8. dje243

dje243 Member

I mean... there are lots of high impact players who were drafted late second round or went undrafted: Christian Wood is a good and timely example. Shouldn't have let him get away.

9. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Being a lifelong Razorback fan by birthright, this has walked me off the cliff a little bit after the past few days. Let's go!!!

fckbandwagons likes this.
  10. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Yeah remember when everyone thought that UofH guard Rob Gray we signed was gonna be a superstar? Rinse and repeat.

Only half way kidding.

D-rock and fckbandwagons like this.
  11. finsraider

finsraider Member

He definitely patterned his offensive game after Harden. Step backs, drives and contact. Very polished.

his first step isn’t going to cut it in the NBA. College players would bite on it, but nba players won’t.

I think he can shoot, but not sure he will be able to get to the rim at a high level. Just depends on whether he can keep improving. He’s about to turn 22, so reasonable questions about how much more upside he has, which is why he went undrafted I’m sure.

The high performing upper-classman scorer has been a thing for us recently.

courtsidedreams and D-rock like this.
  12. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

The difference between the last regime and this one is, I think this one will actually develop talent better.

courtsidedreams likes this.
  13. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

They're going to have to do better. I'll believe it when I see it, but it would be hard for them to do any worse!

Tristan_fiore likes this.
  14. Bo6

Bo6 Member

watched the one video. looks good. was he not drafted because he doesnt slam dunky?

15. gohogs14

gohogs14 New Member

Defense and athleticism, although he has increased his vertical by 10" in a year.

As an Arkansas fan I love Mason Jones. He was lightly recruited in high school as an overweight 260-pounder and went to junior college, was actually committed to Central Arkansas when he got a late offer from Arkansas out of JUCO. Completely transformed his body and worked his ass off to get better and set some SEC records last year. He's extremely aggressive both on and off the court, will get some technical fouls because he likes to talk and offensive fouls for pushing off but also loves contact and went to the FT line a lot. You can tell he studied Harden a lot in some of the moves he uses to get a shot off but the question is if those will work in the NBA since he probably won't be able to get by on pure athleticism.

I'm sure going undrafted will motivate him even more since he's always used being overlooked to work harder, interested to see how he translates to the next level. There were times in college where he looked unstoppable on offense and he had to carry the team by himself when Isaiah Joe missed some games with an injury. He's the brother of former Duke guard Matt Jones.

16. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Undrafted FA's are always my favorite. Cheap, overlooked, and lots to prove.

17. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Has there ever been a more disappointing Rocket draft pick than Royce White? He was fun to watch and could be effective-- a very poor man's Magic Johnson.

courtsidedreams and BamBam like this.
  18. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Eddie Griffin

19. alethios

alethios Member

Can't blame us for trying. Every once in a while, an undrafted gem pops up (Seth Curry).

20. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

in a weak draft, i think more decent players would slip through the cracks. Might have the same abulity as a late first rounder or dtart of the second round