1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey AS Philly GM

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket River, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Morey also inherited two stars that are elite defenders, that makes it possible to trade for someone like Curry that is a great shooter but a terrible defender

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

It's also about the fit though, it's much easier to play Curry next to Simmons since he's a top tier defender, Curry next to James would pretty much kill your defense.

YOLO likes this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol, Brand getting erased.

4. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Thats some ridiculous moves Daryl just made. Gamechanger moves

5. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

**** this dude. Made all kinds of stupid trades and pick ups during his tenure here and all the sudden he decides to actually put shooters around his best players. I hope Stone wins a ring before this clown.

ashleyem, Exiled and ipaman like this.
  6. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

Asking Simmons/Embiid to be championship caliber players...again unreasonable expectations (like he overvalued Harden) upon guys hoping you can win a ring. It *may* work in the (L)eastern Conference and getting to the finals but thats about it. Simmons/Embiid can be easily exploited

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

Seeing some of these sour morey guys getting all worked up is hilarious. They’ll tell themselves anything to try to feel better

This thread is going to be just gold for such a long time

#47 YOLO, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Richie_Rich, Deckard, Nook and 7 others like this.
  8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Nook likes this.
  9. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Am I the only one who misses him like an GF that just hit the lottery and got new boobs :)

jiggyfly, amaru and clutchdabear like this.
  10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Man, it's good to see Daryl with the resources to do something.

11. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Sixers Reddit is praising Morey and I don’t blame them.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

I think you maximize the time Simmons spends on the floor with Curry thus allowing space for Ben to operate (such as Westbrook needing space), so it'd be Simmons / Curry / Green / Harris / Embiid. But that's just me.

JumpMan and Tristan_fiore like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good chances neither wins but Morey in the East got it easier.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

[​IMG]

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Philly fans in the comments loving it

Probably referencing the Noel return here

#55 YOLO, Nov 19, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Nook, KingCheetah and amaru like this.
  16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Who knew MOF were a thing...

amaru and J.R. like this.
  17. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

wow, so many revisionists. When Morey was here, he was a god and when he's gone, in 5 minutes let's forget what he did for Houston. Fandom at its' best.
    He needed to have 3 and D players and last I've checked, Curry definitely isn't one. Houston's defense was switch every screen, so Curry would get burned every possession.

Sometimes I wonder if some so-called fans even watch more than only Harden's highlights.

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Morey already making smart moves now that he is not shackled by a GM hellbent on cost cutting.

amaru likes this.
  19. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

20. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I think your post is a solid rebuttal, I do. That said, questioning my fandom or basketball intelligence is not the right path when trying to make someone see your point of view. It comes off patronizing. Especially when speaking to someone who has been a member here 12 years longer than you. I know my membership date doesn't mean I'm always right, but it should warrant the benefit of the doubt before you talk down to me.

As for your argument, I don't necessarily think Curry is the perfect fit. I just felt that in Morey's last 5 or 6 years, where he created a team that lives and dies by the 3 pointer, we would have at least one elite 3 point shooter.

I feel the team may have better served to have a player that isn't a lock down defender, but could make the other team pay by hitting 5/11 3 pointers on a nightly basis.

As far as your take on Seth Curry. There is another team that has been wildly successful with 4 switch defenders and one that is not so great, but that player can hit 3 pointers at an elite rate. That team is the Golden State Warriors, and that player is Stephen Curry. Is Stephen Curry getting burned on every play? The answer is No. He gets burned his share, but he makes up for it by taking and making a large number of 3's. I realize Seth doesn't have his brother's play making ability, but he wouldn't have to playing next to Harden. Just like Klay can't create his own shot, but he doesn't have to because he has an elite scorer creating for him.

I agree 3 and D is ideal, someone like Danny Green is a great example(which is coincidentally someone Morey traded for last night as well), but when your 3 and D players take 50 3's a night in an offense designed to get them good looks, and can't hit at a clip to be in the top half of the league, maybe it would help to get some shooters. Also, I'm a huge Morey fan, that doesn't mean I think he was perfect. Just saying, I think Curry and Green would have been great fits with Houston.

Hank McDowell likes this.