1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drive-By Truckers vs. Govt Mule vs. Widespread Panic

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Nov 18, 2020.

?

Drive-By-Truckers vs. Govt Mule vs. Widespread Panic (which do you prefer?)

1. Drive-By-Truckers

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Govt Mule

2 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. Widespread Panic

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I wanted to ask you guys which band do you prefer:

Drive-By-Truckers
    Govt Mule
    Widespread Panic

I don't have anything by those 3 groups but I am getting back on a Southern rock trip again and I have read that these 3 bands are the best of the "new" Southern rock groups. Are they all similar to the Allman Brothers Band? I know that Govt Mule has a connection to ABB with Warren Haynes and I think the nephew or son of Butch Trucks is in Widespread Panic but that doesn't mean their music is the same.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I saw this clip live and ever since I've had them at my #1.

snowconeman22 and Manny Ramirez like this.
  3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Where's Rocketman95 when you need him?

4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

ive actually never heard of the other 2 so i had to go with Mule , Warren Haynes has got some serious soul in his voice.

I know its not one of their OG albums, but deja voodoo is a hell of a work .

Manny Ramirez likes this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I'm really only familiar with the Drive-by Truckers, and I'm biased because they are one of my all-time favorite bands.

They definitely are not an Allman Brothers style blues/jam, band. It's a bit more straightforward rock with condensed, economical song-writing. Their lyrics tend to be pretty direct story-telling (often about the southern experience), so they don't really do the abstract/cryptic songwriting thing. As far as sound, I'd say they are closer to Lynyrd Skynyrd, but a rougher sound...not as polished (they don't have a "Sweet Home Alabama"). They have a good mix of rockers and acoustic/slower songs throughout the albums.

If you're looking for their best stuff to check out, you should focus on the trilogy of Southern Rock Opera (2001), Decoration Day (2003), and The Dirty South (2004). Amazing albums. I haven't loved their most recent stuff, as it's a little too full of on-the-nose, political slogan protest songs and less story telling.

Patterson Hood is the bandleader, and writes most of the songs, and they're great. But their second song-writer, Mike Cooley is their secret weapon IMHO. He only contributes 3 or so songs to most albums, and they tend to be fan favorites. Jason Isbell was even with them for a while before going solo, and contributed a number of really good songs.

Anyway, here's a few of my favorites

7. Buck Turgidson

Outside of their first album, Space Wrangler, which is fantastic and reminds me of college, I really only know Panic from their live shows, which are all kinds of fun.

Govt Mule DBT are solid, though I'm not terribly familiar with them.