1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Full MLE Targets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Matt78777, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

They have Harden, Westbrook, Gordon, McLemore, Clemons, House, Nwaba, Tucker...and the 2 draft picks? They don't need 1 player they need 5 lol...take your salary expectations and divide by 5, that's who we are getting.

saleem likes this.
  2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yes.

3. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Anyone have a list of targets for the 12.8m trade exception?

I'm having some trouble finding good ones. I thought that Dedmon could fit it perfectly but he’s making 500k too much.

I found a couple of SF that could work like Lamb or Warren (would have to add draft value for both, more for Warren than Lamb) but not many PF or Centers making about 12m. They could decide to not use all of it but the options are pretty limited from what I see.

4. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I’ve heard that it won’t be $12.8M. It is actually going to be less depending on how much of Ariza’s salary was guaranteed.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  5. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

That sucks. I also just saw a tweet from Bima saying that it’s unlikely that they use both bc of the hard cap implications which would cause them to have to dump salary. Things can still happen like Harden, WB, PJ or Gordon trades/salary dumps but right now it’s impossible.

I have a feeling that everyone is going to be really disappointed when the Rockets use a good portion of the mle to sign Tate. I think he is definitely going to sign with the Rockets but I don’t think it will be for a minimum salary.

D-rock likes this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

We'll probably take on some salary to add assets...assets that we may need in the future when we have to dump salary. Gordon's contract is probably giving Tilman nightmares at this point.

The amount of assets we've burned to dump salary is absolutely nauseating. I could almost tolerate just not spending, but the price we've had to pay to drop salary is completely unforgivable.

ROXTXIA likes this.
  7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You don’t hire Silas and start the season with no screen setting center.

saleem and D-rock like this.
  8. Fantasma Negro

Josh Jackson, Harkness, and Noel. I like Baynes too but Noel has better pick n roll lob potential

D-rock and saleem like this.
  9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

FIFY.

malakas likes this.
  10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The owner has been a two-faced salary shedding liar who sacrifices draft picks and players (where the only opportunity cost is the luxury tax) ever since day 1. There was a brief moment in time in the beginning when he was truthful and admitted that he was relatively poor compared to the other owners and how that impacts his ability to spend. Then he went back to boasting about spending whatever it takes to win while slashing operating funds.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Using this will no longer put TF above the LT or the team at the apron?

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It seems to me trade exceptions are rarely used. I believe you cannot use them in sign and trade situations or in conjunction with any other asset. Is that correct?

13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

no it won't be.

The TPE comes from trading Covington.

The Rockets trade 12.8 and take on nothing.

Ariza never made it to Houston. We could theoretically sign him as a FA once he's waived by Detroit at the lower guarantee.

joshuaao likes this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I will go out on a limb.

Houston in: Bobby Portis / RJ Barrett / Mitchell Robinson / Wayne Ellington / picks

x

Knicks in: Westbrook

https://tradenba.com/trades/pUa1VtgmO

TPE = $12.8M
    WB trade clears = $11.3M
    waive W Ellington= $8M

Pick up Jeff Teague /Trey Burke.......Favors.........Christian Wood

Rockets Roster (20/21)

PG) Jeff Teague.................Eric Gordon / Trey Burke
    SG) Harden.......................RJ Barrett
    SF) Tucker.........................House / Nwaba
    PF) Bobby Portis..............Christian Wood
    C) Favors...........................Mitchell Robinson

Better team than last season. House excels in Silas scheme.

.....and trade exemptions as well.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don't believe they'll give up RJ Barret. Will have to be a full salary dump for Houston, getting back Portis, Gibson both on 1 yr contracts, and one pick probably 2021 knicks via dallas. That will generate cap space. They will then use the NTMLE on somebody. I think Wood and Ibaka will be too expensive but I would hope for Wood.

D-rock likes this.
  16. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Either him or Ibaka is our best option. We actually won't end up using the NT-MLE in this case. It would disappear after taking back the contract, but we can basically offer that $12mil range in this case (I believe). I think I'd rather have Wood, but if Ibaka is part of keeping the gang together, that's my pick. Just doesn't seem like an ideal situation for Ibaka to sign into unless Russ and Harden convince him they want to stay in Houston long-term.

The idea of signing Ibaka with Harden and Russ deciding to stay would be great though! Basically traded RoCo to get Ibaka/future picks (fills a bigger need), and brought another member of the gang in to appease Russ and Harden. Would go a long way of solving our biggest weaknesses as well. Wish we could offer him a little more than the market so he has to say yes, then everyone may just roll with it and realize the team just improved so much. (Wishful Thinking!!)

JoeBarelyCares, joshuaao and treyk3 like this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Is this possible within the cap rules?
    @BimaThug

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

(super wishful thinking)

Wood into TPE
    Tucker into Philly TPE for Thybulle
    Full MLE to Ibaka

Russ
    Harden/Gordon
    Thybulle
    Wood/House
    Ibaka

D-rock and joshuaao like this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

What would Detroit get for giving up Wood?

D-rock likes this.
  20. dje243

dje243 Member

What no T-Will?