1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you rather have Roco, #16/Ariza, or the NTMLE?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, Nov 18, 2020.

?

Which direction would have been best?

1. Roco

3. NTMLE

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. finsraider

finsraider Member

IF we get Wood with the MLE, then I’ll take him and the picks over Covington or having Ariza and whoever we would have drafted at #16.

IF we get Wood.

That allows you to go either way. If Harden stays (ie signs that extension), then you deal the picks for upgrades. If not, Wood is 4 years younger than Covington, so you get a reset with hopefully a new young star (Simmons, Tatum, etc.) and a bunch of picks.

2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Wood at 25, under the same annual salary for two extra years compared to Covington. This is the perfect hedge your bet move. He fits in with Harden and Russ, he fits in with one, he fits in with none. When his contract is up, he’ll be 29 (Covington’s age now). We can let him walk or we can sign him to a max (he’ll be worth a max by then). We could trade him down the line if it’s not a fit. This is the move (going rate i don’t know but now but we can surpass the MLE (I’m guessing 10-12.8) and have an advantage to suitors like the Celtics)

joshuaao and DreamShook like this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

People forget RoCo is going to turn 30 this year.

Rockets better get a good free agent or the fandom is toast... oh boy..

finsraider likes this.
  4. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

I imagine Stone must have a master plan for all of this. Because anyone with a modicum of knowledge about NBA transactions understands that Houston is not going to get a better player than Covington with the NTMLE, is not going to get a better player with the Detroit pick, and that none of this is going to help Harden change his mind.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this is the stuff that gets the fans excited for the new season!

clutchdabear likes this.
  6. finsraider

finsraider Member

yeah. I think I see what ownership is doing here.

I really don’t think they intend to trade Harden this year. With our pick swap on Houston’s own pick for 2021, there is no point in tanking, so playing out this year makes sense.

Also, given the haul that NOP got for Davis (who only had a year left on his deal), I don’t think they are worried about getting a bad return for Harden next summer.

westbrook, however, is a different story. I think they will be more open to a deal if they can get a better fitting replacement and some picks. They may not feel they have to move him, but they are likely more open to it.

krmclaughlin likes this.
  7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

they will 100% spend the full NTMLE. they just dumped roco to move far enough under the tax that they could afford to spend it and remain under the tax.

yes we could see it as asset collection. not sure anyone good will sign here knowing you're likely joining a team in turmoil until harden and rus are traded at which point you're on the worst team in the league for the duration of your contract with the likely chance that you're traded shortly thereafter.

we probably don't get Ibaka, Whiteside, wood, because of those reasons. unless we tell wood we're rebuilding around him after harden and rus are gone. if we miss on those guys I'd rather pivot to splitting the NTMLE on young RFA who might be around during the rebuild. Jevon Carter, D'Anthony Melton, etc...

8. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Where is the luxury tax savings option to vote

Ubiquitin likes this.
  9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Whatever option saves Tilman the most money is what I'd prefer

ksny15 likes this.
  10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If Stone wants any shot at keeping Harden, the 16th pick and Ariza doesn't move the needle. Maybe you keep RoCo but think the MLE and trade exemption (assuming they are used) along with the picks (as trade pieces) can possibly net some key pieces. Factor in what we might be able to get for Russ and this is the best shot at appeasing Harden.

If Stone knows a full rebuild looms, keeping Ariza still doesn't make a whole lot of sense and while the 16th pick would've been a logical way to start things, think signing a good young player like Wood is just as fine. Especially if we are expecting bevy of picks coming back for Harden. Don't think deferring the pick is the end of the world.

11. ksny15

ksny15 Member

The MLE will not net any key players that will move the needle for Harden. 1st none of the players available compare to RoCo and 2nd the money will be used on multiple players. There are to many rosters spots and holes to fill.

12. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Can we all please storm tilmans office and physically remove him like fans do for European soccer clubs.

persian hoopa likes this.
  13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Where is the option to keep CP3, Capella and Harden for one more year?

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

No the MLE alone won't do it. But add in the trade exemption, the two future 1st rounders and potential assets for Russ...think that gives us a much better shot than Ariza/16th pick IMO.

15. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

If it opens the door to sign Ibaka and keep Harden, then I think I'd go with the NTMLE.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I don’t think anyone is a GM on this site and I certainly am not. But according to what I read each team has 5.6 mil cash to spend for trades or buying picks. This has nothing to do with the Ariza Non Simultaneous deal which rockets recieved 12.8 mil TPE from.

18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i dont know if u caught it yet... but it looks to be crap...

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Coulda kept RoCo. Just added Traveling Queen to that, we SET

20. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yeah we're hypothetically F'd!

snowconeman22, J.R. and saleem like this.