1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Webber maybe a dream.....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by carlit0, Jun 14, 2001.

1. carlit0

carlit0 Member

06/14-WEBBER IS A DREAM- As fans and media continue to drop names daily on who will sign where and what players will switch teams, the name most want-Chris Webber- is not only a stretch to leave Sacramento, for most its a pipe dream. Magic fans say Webber's name with baited breath, but the reality is Chris's game doesn't fit with what the Magic have. They have enough scoring, they need an inside intimidator and that simply is not Chris. They need a rugged rebounder who can control the paint, and again that's not Chris. Add up those factors, then add the pending luxury tax which the DeVos's say they are not going to pay, and you see the Magic don't have a real shot at Webber, unless he shows up asking for an exception, which isn't going to happen. The Knicks would love to add Webber, but they have little to nothing to offer the Kings that will add up to $12 million, which Chris is likely to command. Sure the Knicks could send a ton of luggage but does anyone believe the Kings take a Luxury Tax hit for Larry Johnson and Luc Longley? Allan Houston is not going to agree to a sign and trade, and the team would be foolish to trade Latrell Sprewell. Marcus Camby and Kurt Thomas surely don't equally CWebb. The Pistons are hot for Webber, and Webb being nice says he'd love to return home...to win!... something the Pistons can't promise with their current situation. The Rockets may have a ton of cash, especially if Hakeem does walk away for Washington, Miami or Utah, but are the Rockets any further along than the Pistons? I mean the Roxs do hold three1st rounders, and 2 nice player in Cuttino Mobley and Steve Francis, but they also haven't done anything more than show promise. If Webber is plotting out his "back 9" (sorry Golf term), does anyone really believe he's going to pick a young team that is may be 2 or 3 years away from real solid contention in the West? As you circle the league you can see a number of places Chris could fit, but when you factor that he wants to be in a winning situation with an established winner, as the 1st or 2nd option, that he'll command $12 million, and he is not an inside force. Who's got a place ready for Chris?... I don't see him anywhere but Sacramento. Also consider he still hasn't put his house up for sale, indicates he may see it that way too, and don't give me "the he's holding for Real Estate value", there are far better places own a house for investment purposes.
    http://www.bskball.com/Rumors.htm

This seems to make sense to me, but Sacramento isn't going anywhere neither. Webber will have to gamble a little in order to win his Championship and it may have to be on another team. This may have been the last real year of success for the the aging Kings.
    The new and upcoming teams next year will be the Mavs,Rockets and Bucks. Also for entertainment and ratings the Wizards.

------------------
    "Instinctly u recognize things,now take advantage of what u just recognized!".. Hakeem..

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

but are the Rockets any further along than the Pistons?

That statement right there tells you all you need to know about the source...

------------------
    "Basketball players win basketball games. Athletes win track meets."-- Shane Battier

Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

That guy at bskball is just plain stubborn. He refuses to believe Webber would leave, even now he sticks to the script. Comparing our team to Detroit is lame. The Pistons reek, and that's in the East.

Maybe "bskball" and others will eventually shut up after CWebb signs here and makes for a new exciting young team. I've posted before quotes from mags where Webb says he wants to sign somewhere that will contend down the road, not just now.

"Be happy in your work." The future Rox family (I hope)...Webb, Steve, Cat, Walt, Mo...and, hopefully, smart drafting and trading = shoring up the center position.

------------------

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

That's right!

------------------
    Rarely is the question asked: Guns kill squirrels than REDRUM to fools across the nation?

5. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

His house isn't up for sale!!! Now that would tip his hand, wouldn't it.

Webber and Utah? Whose their strong pivot presence? Malone? Ostertag? Polynice?

------------------
    Time is a great teacher-- only problem is it kills all its pupils.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Are the Rockets really any further along than the Pistons?

Lets see:
    Detroit had a 32 and 50 record with a 390 winning percentage in the CBA....I mean the East.

The Rockets had a 45 and 37 record and a 549 winning percentage in a much more difficult Western conferance and compleatly dominated the Eastern Conferance teams including Detroit.

I don't think it takes a Rocket Scientist to figure out that the Rockets are light years ahead of Detroit.

Prediction...Webber in Houston by August.

------------------

7. The Rocket Guy

Yeah, Bsk kind of asked for it on that one. I have been trying to think of the proper response to him on that analysis of Houston vs. Detroit. It will likely come in my next article on the Houston page of his site. There really is no comparison. Not only were the Pistons 32-50 compared to the Rockets' 45-37, but they were 32-50 playing the majority of their games against a division that the Rockets swept.

Considering Webber's family is largely in the Sacramento area, he is just as likely to keep his house there and buy an additional one in the city he gets traded to.

Webber wants to go to NY, but that whole deal hinges on Allan Houston, who said before the season was over that he would not agree to a sign-and trade. To me, that means he either stays in SAC or he comes to Houston. If "Clutch" is right about Webber planning to be in Houston on draft day, that tells me he certainly is not set on staying in SAC town.

TRG

------------------
    <A HREF="http://www.TheRocketGuy.com

" TARGET=_blank>http://www.TheRocketGuy.com

</A> "You try to improve and do better. It's a journey, not just the destination." - Hakeem Olajuwon

8. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

9. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

sacramento is not going to just let chris webber sign off with some other team. and considering that he has a pretty good relationship with the city and its basketball organization, he'd probably agree to a sign-n-trade. my concern is, which & how many players are we going to package that might interest the kings? the only rockets i'd lose if we had c-webb would be mo tay(would he agree to it? playing in sac)
    and kenny thomas. and probably walt if we could get a solid sf from the draft. hopefully even if they dont think its a fair trade off, they'd take it anyway since there is a chance they might get nothing at all.

i really hope rockets not making the playoff this year would not affect cwebb's judgement of the talent the team has.

10. fba34

sacramento is not going to just let chris webber sign off with some other team. and considering that he has a pretty good relationship with the city and its basketball organization, he'd probably agree to a sign-n-trade. my concern is, which & how many players are we going to package that might interest the kings? the only rockets i'd lose if we had c-webb would be mo tay(would he agree to it? playing in sac)
    and kenny thomas. and probably walt if we could get a solid sf from the draft. hopefully even if they dont think its a fair trade off, they'd take it anyway since there is a chance they might get nothing at all.

i really hope rockets not making the playoff this year would not affect cwebb's judgement of the talent the team has.

11. fba34

------------------

12. ONfire

ONfire Member

WHY did you post reply so many times?i think webber is gonna wait till after the draft to see what houston,orlando,ny do. then himself and sac-town will decide on there future.

------------------

TEAM WORK BABY.

13. ROXTXIA

I wonder the same thing sometimes. If Webber insists on a sign-and-trade to placate the team he'll leave behind, then I think, maybe, the possible 3-way with Chicago that has been mentioned; Cato + KT for Fizer; Fizer to the Kings. (This is just speculation, of course. Fizer's no Webber, but he came on strong when he played his natural spot later in the year.)

And I just read Brad Miller's option was picked up, so maybe he'd be in some kind of trade.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROXTXIA (edited June 15, 2001).]

14. SandB/Bill

SandB/Bill Member

Oh Boy.. I can't beleive this.. What do you guys have to show that Houston is a better team than Sacramento? You were swept by Sac last year and now you say Sac is a loser because we lost to the Lakers? Damn, you guys need to get real. BTW, I love your takes on Webber, I would be willing to make a reasonable bet with anyone on this board that Webber does NOT come to Houston, If Webber stays in the West, he will be with the Kings.

------------------

15. Ric@HPF

Ric@HPF Member

actually... everyone's misinterpreting the writer's point. he's not directly comparing the two teams, which, based on their conferences, would be foolish -- but, instead, comparing how close they are to competiting for a title: "...are the Rockets any further along than the Pistons?"

everyone here wants to compare records straight up and remind that the east is far inferior. it is, but that's exactly why this is closer than you think: detroit was the 10th seed last year, houston was 9th. if we assume "elite" team means top 4 in your conference, considering the dearth of dominant teams in the east, which team has an easier route to home court advantage in round one?

i'd wager there's little difference, if maybe not a point or two in detroit's favor. they have to make up 16 games with a weak schedule.

the rocks, meanwhile, have to make up 8 games with a far more difficult schedule. and considering houston played .385 ball last year against the west (a fact far too many people in this forum choose to ignore) indicates to me houston's nowhere close to being anything more than chew-'em-up-and-spit-'em-out first round fodder at this point.

------------------
    Ric
    http://www.houstonprofootball.com

16. ROXTXIA

Then you're deluded. The fact that Webber is on the NBA-darling Kings might be everyone's wet dream, including yours, and most people will berate him for leaving, but Sacramento is too small and one-dimensional for him.

But go ahead and post on a Kings web site that we're all deluded over here, ha ha, those stupid Rockets fans, the Rockets suck, etc. etc. But when he leaves for whatever team, I don't suspect you'll be posting here again...?

------------------

17. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

SandB,

Nobody ever said Houston was better than Sac. One poster mentioned that Houston plus Webber is better than Sac without Webber which is true.

------------------
    "Modern bourgeois society with its relations of production, of exchange and property, a society that has conjured up such gigantic means of production and of exchange, is like the sorceror, who is no longer able to control the powers of the nether world whom he has called up by his spells."

18. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

sand b, ill say this yes u guys had a better team than us this yr, but lets compare both teams without webber for a minute, the kings have peja(hes great), with some nice role players, the rockets have mobley and francis(two young stars), with similar role players in place..so i dont really think its a stretch to say we dont have better pieces to put around him, and unless chris has changed his stance on the city or was just bluffing i think houston is his home next yr all teams and things considered

------------------
    How Sweet It Is! How Sweet It Is!
    Gene Peterson on the rockets winning the 1995 championship over the Orlando Magic

19. KanHoop

KanHoop Member

I agree that if CWebb leaves, it will be in a sign-n-trade, a la Grant Hill and T-Mac last year. In those trades, the talent Orlando had to give up didn't come CLOSE to equalling the guys they got. The only key is that it has to add up under the collective bargaining agreement. So Houston will have to come up with $12 Mil in salary to give away, plus freshly drafted players or future picks (which don't count as anything toward the $12 M).

A three-way deal with Chicago is a good idea, but Krause would never give up Fizer for Cato & Kenny T. Unlesss maybe there were a sweet draft pick in there, too.

Does anyone out there know who might add up to $12M in current salary? I think you'd have to throw in Cato, who's pretty highly paid, and at least one more vet -- Walt? Could Sacramento demand Cutino (instead of the 13-pick, maybe)? I bet Rudy and Steve would kiss him goodbye for Webber.

- KanHoop
    PS I love these threads. Best I've ever seen. Great that y'all actually talk basketball instead of just smack in all caps.

------------------

20. Rockets-R-Us

Rockets-R-Us Contributing Member

Ric@HPF - I am in agreement with your assessment of our performance against the West. We did suck against the W.C. elite!!

I have also stated several time since joining last month that I do not believe C-Webb will end up here, primarily because I don't think the talent we have to give in a S&T (which I agree is the only logical move for him and Sac.)is any better than what they can get from NY. If Sac can get Tim Thomas and ??? (Rice, Othella, etc.) that is at least as good as anything we would give up.

No way does Cat get tossed into a 3-way S&T for C-Webb, that would actually weaken our team, as the combination of K.T. and Mo-T are equal to the production of C-Webb!

------------------
    Our purpose in life is to find our gift, and the meaning of life is to give it away!