1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

As said, that's a food bank line in Dallas from August.

Ziggy likes this.
  2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

We are staying put for Thanksgiving, but we usually do. We sometimes invite friends and neighbors over for desert, but not this year.

We were traveling Xmas to see my wife's parents. My son is a HS senior and this might be the last time we do Xmas at grands as a family. My wife's parents are about 80, so they are high risk and we are staying put. Covid ****ing sucks.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Family's plan before Christmas is everyone to isolate as if they have it and then rapid test before entering bubble with my father-in law, mother-in law, and brother-in law. Though, my wife and I have already had it so I don't think there is as much risk for us two for another couple of months.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Ubiquitin likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I found out today the student I mentioned above in a previous post ended up testing positive for COVID. *sigh* No telling how many people were infected by the child. Not saying it's her fault, of course, but you get a feeling for how this thing is spreading.

Kim likes this.
  6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I usually visit my parents, but not this year. No sense in risking it for me.

7. Asian Sensation

“******* street racers!”

Ubiquitin likes this.
  8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Great news that there two vaccines now with nearly equal effectiveness. Should be enough to cover all the at risk groups by the end of the year.

https://apple.news/AvKQN6ueqS0uVocxc1Q_KWg

Pfizer Says Vaccine Is 95% Effective in Final Data, Will Seek Authorization

Shot could be on track to go into distribution by the end of the year if health regulators permit

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will accept that the news report I saw likely made a mistake reporting the numbers that said these numbers still show that there are risks to younger people. While these risks are much smaller for those younger than 50 they are not zero and also these numbers don't counter that younger people are transmitting the virus. Nor that there are longterm complications to COVID-19 that can affect younger people, nor that young people who become symptomatic are also using healthcare taxing our health care system.

Also all of these arguments regarding that while young people are at less risks still ignore that the elderly are and arguments against lockdowns and other restrictions essentially amount to that elderly don't matter to this society.

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

Pfizer (BNT162b2, given in two intramuscular doses 21 days apart) had >90 percent vaccine efficacy in preventing symptomatic COVID-19 at or after day 7 following the second dose [205]. This effect was assessed on an interim analysis of 94 confirmed COVID-19 cases among over 30,000 participants.*

Moderna (mRNA-1273, given in two intramuscular doses 28 days apart) had 94.5 percent vaccine efficacy in preventing symptomatic COVID-19 at or after two weeks following the second dose [206]. This effect was assessed on an interim analysis of 95 confirmed COVID-19 cases (5 in the vaccine group and 90 in the placebo group). Eleven cases were severe, and all of these occurred in the placebo group. No major safety concerns were reported.*

Although these data are promising, full trial reports are needed to critically assess the vaccines' impact and safety, including the effect on severe COVID-19 as well as the effect on microbiologically confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infection (both asymptomatic and symptomatic, which could have implications for transmission). The durability of effect will also need to be evaluated over time.

edited by the Great ExileD

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When it comes to the talk of lockdowns, I get that some desperately want authoritarian rule, but I believe it's best to err on the side of freedom and liberty.

Those who are afraid are free to lock themselves in their homes for the next few years if that's what they want. Those who aren't afraid should be free to live their lives.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ubiquitin and Ziggy like this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Thought you might appreciate this

https://stm.sciencemag.org/content/12/570/eabd3876.full

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

YES LOCK ME DOWN. LOCK US UP. WE WANT TO HIDE UNDER THE BED. PLEASE, DADDY. That's it, you nailed! You figured it out, bro! Best poster of all timeeeeee. Genius. You so smaaaaart. A+, 100, all hail!

[​IMG]

Jimmy Chase likes this.
  16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

robbie380 and Ubiquitin like this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

First off the restrictions are nothing like authoritarian rule. Frankly it's rhetoric like this that is very unhelpful.

The concept of "freedom" isn't just do what you want whenever you want and the rest be damned but only exist within a social concept that has responsibility.

Second this those risking their lives have a direct impact on the rest of society when they end up straining our health care system.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah what was i thinking, there's nothing authoritarian about the government forcing their citizens to stay locked in their homes unable to work to provide for their families unless they are the specific people the government allows to do those things.

After all, there's a virus going around that can harm a small percentage of the population, it completely justifies imprisoning the rest of the population.

JumpMan likes this.
  19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

20. Roscoe Arbuckle

Can someone do a "Celebrities we've lost to Covid?" post? Like at the Oscars every year?

LOL. I'm joking. I've already researched this. But, hey! Knock yourself out.

What celebrity have we lost to Covid this year?