1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Update:Houston Murder Rate Rising: post Houston crime here Newbies and Wokies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tinman, Nov 18, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

@tinman

Im not ignoring the thread subject but on another subject Houston is not long from passing Chicago in population. I just found out a few weeks ago. Chicago is only a few 100K bigger. I thought it was much bigger

tinman likes this.
  3. tinman

Supporting Member

lots of people have moved to Houston from other cities.
    It's because it's cheaper and has less taxes. Texas in general has seen a massive spike in migration to the state.

Two Sandwiches and pgabriel like this.
  4. Senator

Senator Member

It's a huge cultural issue regardless of city, and from the excuses
    @JayGoogle and the like make, you understand why its not gonna change regardless of president. @pgabriel makes a lot of intelligent points in debate, but is seen as not black enough or something weird by those who don't have the courage to confront facts

pgabriel likes this.
  5. tinman

Supporting Member

population decrease for chicagp

pre pandemic reasons

pgabriel likes this.
  6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Now would be a good time to defund the police.. eh??

Corrosion likes this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Bro, stop tagging me.

PGA doesn't make intelligent points about this, neither do you. You think rap music is the cause while PGA keeps going on about how no one cares despite being proven wrong on that front over and over again.

Both of you are brick walls that shout the same points over and over again despite them getting smacked around by every poster here.

jiggyfly and Blatz like this.
  8. body slam

body slam Member

what was going on in the early 80's that Houston was named the murder capital of the US?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It was defunding of the police!

Might have to do with economic collapse due to the 80s oil bust. We are also in a midst of the greatest economic collapse within a short time frame ever. That might be the main cause. It's not just Houston. It seems to be a pattern for the whole nation.

Note that however other crimes are down. I think rape, residential burglaries, drug offense are all down national wide.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/29/us/coronavirus-murders.html

Like many American cities, where economies have been ravaged by the pandemic, Oakland has seen a surge in gun violence, including six killings of juveniles since June and a 40 percent increase in homicides over all. To the south, in Los Angeles, the picture is equally bloody, with the city on pace to have more than 300 homicides for the first time since 2009.

Beyond California, major cities from Minneapolis to Milwaukee to New York, and even smaller communities like Lubbock, Texas, and Lexington, Ky., are all confronting the same grim pattern, with some places, like Kansas City, Mo., and Indianapolis, setting records for the number of killings in a single year. Philadelphia, which was gripped by unrest this week after the police shooting of a Black man, is among the cities with the highest increase in homicides — its 404 killings this year are a more than 40 percent increase compared with the same period last year.

Dr. Rosenfeld has studied crime trends during the pandemic for the Council on Criminal Justice, a nonpartisan research organization, and found that homicides increased an average of 53 percent across 20 major American cities during the summer.

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

From a historical perspective, I don't understand how anyone could believe this is cultural. Crime has dramatically decreased since the 1700s/1800s and even more dramatic decrease since the 1990s. This country is increasingly less white over that time period. I guess you could argue that hispanic people are less violent than white people.

But, I think the logical argument is that crime follows the economy. As the economic condition of people improves, they are less likely to commit crimes and vice versa. I think the immediate term increase in crime/murder is a function of the economic fall out due to covid-19.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Crack + oil bust

tinman and Xerobull like this.
  12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Surprising. This has been coming for decades. I was aware of it in the 1990s. And if you count all of the undocumented illegal migrants here, we're far past Chicago.

13. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Many people are saying the police are inflating the number of murders because they get more money that way....

Nook, Amiga, weakfromtoday and 2 others like this.
  14. MystikArkitect

As wealth disparity rises, crime and homelessness go up.

I'm stunned.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Don't forget police snowflakes doing blue-flu sickouts whenever peopel call out their bullshit.

But anyway a lot can be traced to the Trump-McConnell Defund THe Police movement to starve states and localities of funds lost because of COVID19

Nook, FranchiseBlade and Blatz like this.
  16. Senator

Senator Member

No, because there are cultures of poverty all over the world (and america) that don't commit anywhere close to these rates of violent crime. Because i grew up in poverty and know the kind of people who did resort to violence/hard drugs/the whole cycle of it'ssomeone else's fault vs the self sufficient. Your weak far left mentality has destroyed inner cities like baltimore and strong conservative leadership/accountability/change of culture is only way to change. Plus, that enables more small businesses to thrive which is really what hard hit areas want to pool resources/move on up

17. Senator

Senator Member

Single parent issue
    Glorification of violence issue
    No accountability issue (michelle obama making sure to pardon jussie smollet etc.)

the truth is america is a competitive place , more diverse than any country in the world, and that attitude doesnt get you anywhere. it SHOULD not get you anywhere. But the repeated excuses for it, pretending breona taylor was about race from so called "educated" etc, it's a vicious cycle some cultures cannot get out of. And remember, culture does not equal race. Culture equals your thoughts and actions.

18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Maybe it's possible to not have high crime in poverty stricken areas of the US but you would be challenged to find areas with high crime and no poverty. Which is really my point.

You get out, You get a career, you don't commit crimes. It's really that simple. I think if you asked anyone from the culture that was successful, they would tell you the difference was the focus on their own economics.

The funny thing is you mentioned a far left mentality. Reliance on economic condition as a means of improving one's self is a classic conservative viewpoint. Wanting someone else to lead you out whether that's 'strong conservative leadership' or otherwise is the antithesis of self reliance and quite liberal.

If you really want to help young black people - stop trying to tell them what music to listen to, how to dress, or how to live, and stop putting them in jail for a bag weed. Every successful black man I know listened to rap when they were young and we all wore the trendy clothes of the time. The people I grew up with that went down the wrong path were in the same culture as me but they just never found a solid career so crime became a low risk high reward endeavor.

Deckard, B-Bob and IBTL like this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The two cities have been very close in population for decades.

We won't come close to their murder rates .... they'll be more than double Houston's figure.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I always assumed Chicago was the size of Los Angeles. I thought Chicago, NYC, and LA were in a different population class from cities like Houston and the next five biggest cities and checking before hitting post reply Los Angeles isn't near NYC but officially 1MM more than Houston and Chicago