1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KOC: "I've been told Morey would offer Ben Simmons plus more"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My problem is that I can imagine Simmons playing with Harden very easily, only James wouldn’t be here because the scenarios have him going to Philadelphia. Westbrook can’t shoot, so while he might be able to toss lobs to the kid inside very effectively, Simmons can’t play the “point center” with him. Defenses will let Russ take 3’s all day.

Bummer. So if both have to go, we need a hell of a lot more than Simmons, if he’s included.

topfive, D-rock, Caesar and 1 other person like this.
  2. psaman17

psaman17 Member

You trade for Ben Simmons then you ask Westbrook to GTFO. You dont play them together. I imagine we can trade Westbrook for expiring if we wanted to.

D-rock, Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sure. I added that to my post while you were writing this. It still leaves us with a problem.

D-rock likes this.
  4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Absolutely. Rockets can play hardball as ending up being the team with Harden is winning.

5. psaman17

psaman17 Member

There is no problem. When you trade a James Harden you arent trying to compete anymore. The goal after that is to rebuild. You find pieces that work around Ben Simmons. Making the playoffs is no longer a priority. We go into FULL asset accumulation mode after that. Trade everybody and anybody that can net you a future pick and build around that.

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

true , but lebron had 7 years of nba xp at that oint while simmons has played 3 seassons .

I dont think simmons and lebron are in the same stratosphere . but as far as guys under 25 , idk if id rather have anyone other that simmons ( thats on the table , luka .. for example is not. )

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That’s a problem for me. I want to enjoy what I’m watching. I’d also like to see us win a few games.

bballjunkie likes this.
  8. TexAg713

TexAg713 Member

I'm totally fine with Tilman publicly saying he won't trade Harden to Philly, out of spite or whatever. Denver did the same thing with Melo and the Knicks for months. It worked. Melo was eventually traded to NY after the Nuggets pretended to be jilted lovers and were eventually able to extract a motherlode of assets from the Knicks. I think it's a smoke screen to get a better deal, people need to chill.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It’s a nice theory and yes, it’s been done before. I’m just not sure Tilman can grasp the concept.

Red.Glare and D-rock like this.
  10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Tillman can **** right off but agreed this aspect of his tenure isn’t a big deal.

mikol13 and D-rock like this.
  11. Caesar

Caesar Member

From 1 year ago

T for 3 likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Very true. Simmons strength is being a ball handler/playmaker and I'd argue Simmons was better than Lebron coming into this league. While shooting is key to the modern NBA, so is playmaking which is what you'd be getting Simmons for.

With Simmons's defense, playmaking, and versatility he would be a middle class version of Lebron at 25. The drawback being, he would require a certain team around him to mask his severe shooting weakness but I think he's still a foundational piece.

Deckard and D-rock like this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Well, that's what all those draft picks are for right?

And there are some 3ball snipers that can be had for vet min or portion of MLE, FA or from G League.

6'6 Justin Holiday
    6'7 Ryan Broekhoff
    6'4 Dakota Mathias
    6'7 Paul Millsap
    6'3 Gabe Vincent
    6'6 Jacobi Boykins (Vipers)

Just a tier below +36% 3PFG.

6'4 Tyler Johnson
    6'4 Avery Bradley
    6'6 Justin Anderson
    6'9 Jonah Bolden
    6'9 Chris Boucher
    7'0 Dragan Bender

Dankstronaut and jim1961 like this.
  14. riko

riko Member

Morey just got rid of Horfords deal wow

D-rock likes this.
  15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I think harden in a vacuum is worth that. I agree that the sixers won’t offer it, and Simmons + picks isn’t near enough IMO. So, you move on from the sixers.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I would want Embiid and picks.

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe OKC will buy him out and Houston can finally sign him!

D-rock likes this.
  18. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Horford + a first and second for Danny Green?! I think that’s a bad move by Morey, and you can forget about Simmons coming here if he’s doing that.

HTown_TMac and D-rock like this.
  19. riko

riko Member

His contract has two years remaining meaning next season it becomes a very, very attractive trade piece along with the billion first round picks they have it could be converted into a very good piece. A all star type player who wants to get out of a bad situation .

Presti is playing his hands well

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

More likely OKC trades Adams instead.

The traditional center is no longer modern basketball. Horford is perfect small ball 5.

Without Morey, Rockets are going backwards.