1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KOC: "I've been told Morey would offer Ben Simmons plus more"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Nov 17, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He would be 6'10 WB half the scoring and more defense and allround.

It's disappointing but if you had WB with a post game, it's better than having a project who might become a star. Better than nothing.

Rudyc281, Rocket River and Stephen_A like this.
  2. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Russell Westbrook at 6'10 that plays defense and doesn't chuck shots is a great player.

Rudyc281, bumbum09 and jamisonrocket like this.
  3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

ben simmons isn’t a number 1. And if he is a number 2 he can’t shoot and he isn’t an offensive force. Nets are giving a better deal and seems more desperate to get harden. They might capitulate one of these days.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

True but he isn't the scorer Russ was.

5. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Doesn’t seem like Morey wants to give up Simmons and/or Tiilman doesn’t want to deal with him. Looks like Morey is trying to get Zach Levine and Buddy Hield to build around Simmons and Embiid.

6. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

cant score like westbrook. Cant even average 20 ppg. Think about that. Is that legitimate number 2 option numbers?

7. psaman17

psaman17 Member

No he's not a #2 option. But his all around play is strong enough that i'm willing to overlook his one major flaw. He's still young.

Ben Simmons is atleast a unique specimen. Dimwittle and Levert are just run of the mill NBA role players. Simmons appears to be the best young star prospect we can acquire in a Harden deal.

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Did you see this yesterday on TMZ? https://www.tmz.com/2020/11/17/james-harden-houston-rockets-ric-bucher-revolt-tillman-fertitta/

It had me LMAO! NBA Insider Ric Bucher said on a podcast that Harden and Westbrick want out because there's an internal revolt against Tillman Fertitta because of his ties and friendship to Trump and the Republican Party. This just keeps getting funnier and funnier.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't know if Simmons can be a n1, but he has that potential, the Nets guys can potentially become a 3 or 4 at best.

treyk3 likes this.
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Really? The former number 1 overall pick that is 24 years old and is already a 2-time all-star?

1. One of the freakiest physical specimens the NBA has ever seen. If you have ever seen him live, it is absolutely bizarre how massive he is on the court. Reminds me of seeing Yao or KG for the first time. Massive presence.
    2. His combination of size and ability to control tempo is essentially unrivaled. You'd have to look to Magic and Lebron to find a comparison.
    3. Elite finisher.
    4. Elite defender.

He is about as elite as young prospects get to be honest, and we haven't seen him play without a lumbering C clogging the lane. His inability to shoot from the perimeter stops him from being a top 5 player in the NBA, but sheesh, everything else is A+++ quality... Giannis can't shoot either.

AleksandarN, Caesar, Rudyc281 and 4 others like this.
  11. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I'd be more worried If Simmons couldn't pass/control tempo.

The fact that he is essentially a Point Center is what makes his possibilities so interesting. You could field a monstrous defense with him and If you could find some offensive assassins to help him out on Offense while he controls tempo, well that's pretty intriguing.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is that his top side.
    A walking Triple Double is not bad

Rocket River

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. T for 3

T for 3 Member

If I accept everything else you said (which I will) the bolded sentence alone is enough not to do the deal. Unless, it’s Simmons and....and....and.

14. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Assuredly, the deal will not be straight up 1 for 1.

(But I can't remember a single person saying it would be...)

AleksandarN likes this.
  15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Simmons and Embiid and 3 first round picks. Then I would listen. Simmons + role players + picks would be highway robbery

#195 T for 3, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  16. finsraider

finsraider Member

exactly. Giannis can’t shoot either, and it’s probably the primary reason the Bucks have disappointed in the playoffs.

shooting isn’t a discretionary skill anymore. Even among centers it’s becoming more difficult to stay on the court if you can’t shoot.

So the question in my mind with Simmons is only
    “Can he learn to shoot?” After having a full year of no contact, then 3 successive seasons, I think we can probably say no...he can’t shoot.

I like that they’ve trained him to play to his strengths and avoid his weaknesses. But Westbrook and Giannas so far haven’t gotten the job done, and I don’t see how Simmons comes out better.

T for 3 likes this.
  17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’d do it for Simmons and picks. Unfortunately I don’t think this is a situation that resolves itself with Harden as a Rocket. Simmons though an obvious downgrade from Harden, has elite skills and is very young. Coupled with shrewd drafting you may end up with something down the road.

This is a no brainer for the 76ers as Harden instantly catapults them into contention.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Imagine Simmons flushing those lobs from Harden. A huge target with great hands. He’d make Capela look clumsy.

mikol13, Rudyc281 and RudyTBag like this.
  19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

I think that's fair.

I see him more as a tempo control number 2 guy that could anchor a magnificent defense. You'd really need to match him with an assassin or two to close out playoff games.

20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

While that might be fair for a player of Harden's talent, you won't be getting a dollar for a dollar in this situation, IMO.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.