1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feeling better about Stone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Nov 18, 2020.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

what exactly is there to feel better about at this point. You gave up RoCo for two lottery protected picks and Ariza who is now 35 who you initially didn't want to pay and are now ironically paying him what you lost him for lol. Which broke up a 65 win team in the first place. and you gave him to portland.

If this is what makes you feel better, your expectations are bottom barrel level.

#21 YOLO, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    HP3 likes this.
  2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Yeah I’ll take a competent starter who excels in our small ball lineup vs some rookie at pick 16 who odds are won’t amount to much and a competent bench player. If your trading Harden it’s a good move.

YOLO likes this.
  3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So far so good.

Silas - Home run
    RoCo - a fair return, definitely a precursor to something more, so we'll see.
    Calm amidst the storm...He's been a big part of the team for a long time. While there is continuity, it's already obvious he has a different style than Daryl. Again, a calm/steady counter to Tilly...providing balance.

We'll see, but very early returns are favorable.
    My confidence in him is growing every hour at this point.

4. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

So far pretty good! I understand getting what you can for Russ at this point in his career. Just don’t give up Harden for a song. The Harden trade should setup the franchise for the next 4 to 5 years in terms of compensation.

5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

N
    not one person. Management team. Operations team. Its a collective decision not one mans decision. He just makes the final pitch.

6. jb86

jb86 Member

Stone is doing this the right way.

Plowman and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Ariza is a bench player?

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Do you think he can play starters minutes? He's 35

Denovo likes this.
  9. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Maybe Houston wants to try to swap picks with Washington.
    Wall/2020 9th
    Russ/2020 16th

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I feel 10 feet tall and as strong as an ox.

#30 treyk3, Nov 18, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    Plowman and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Dunno but i would think they want him to replace ROCO in the lineup. Plus CP3, lemarcus Aldridge and Lebron are both over 35.

12. pass_to_Hakeem

Nah it was a good trade. We got a “gentleman’s sweep” with him in the 2nd round.... time to move on. Need to find a place to send Eric Gordon now

Caesar likes this.
  13. Victorious

Victorious Member

I think the Ariza move was to keep Harden happy. If Harden still wants out, at least they got picks out of it.

14. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

I know some Rockets fans usually like to spin everything as positive or eventually come around to it, but what kind of sense is there in trading Covington before Harden or even Westbrook?

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

More flexibility, future assets (picks).

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. csc177

csc177 Member

Stone was in every deal that Morey made since he arrived - he’s not new to this.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

It actually feels like the trade was made to appease Harden. Hopefully this is a sign that Rockets expect to start the season with Harden on the team.

Financially got worse, so no Tillman reasons here
    Who would’ve thought Cov could yield TWO first round picks
    There’s a drop-off on-court, but not as big as some may think
    Cov was a great help defender, but he was exposed on the perimeter in the playoffs
    Not so sure Harden is a big fan of Cov in their interactions. just acquainted.
    Ariza looks more aware offensively. Cov looked a little lost at times on that end
    Ariza and Harden are boys

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Look at this... this crazy forum is getting Stoned...

I'm still waiting to see how this all turns out, but have always been willing to give this guy a chance. He was considered a bright guy before he came to the Rockets, and he's been with the club longer than Morey has.

Silas was my pick for this team's, not because I knew anything, but because he was already around greatness in Curry and the Warriors crew, already coached a great offense in Dallas, and a similar superstar in Donka-Donk. He's also younger and been around young players, so once the Westbrooks and Hardens move on, may relate to younger players better. He seemed like the best fit now and in the future.

BHannes2BHonest, Plowman and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Stone doesn't really matter much, if we're being honest.

He could be the best GM of all time and it won't matter because Tilman won't allow him to make winning moves. We literally just saw that with Morey.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

So they prefer appeasing Harden over constructing a winning team? Seems like a recipe for success...