1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Late Night TV] Conan O'Brien to end talk-show hosting run after 28 years

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Nov 17, 2020.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Conan O'Brien to end talk-show hosting run after 28 years, gets HBO Max variety series instead

Conan will officially come to an end in 2021, to be followed by a travel series.

November 17, 2020 at 01:27 PM EST
    [​IMG]
    After 28 years, Conan O'Brien is officially giving up the late-night show life, at least for now.

O'Brien took over Late Night on NBC from David Letterman in 1993, a position he held until 2009, when Jimmy Fallon took over the gig and O'Brien moved to host The Tonight Show for several months. That was followed by his namesake Conan on TBS in 2010. On Tuesday, WarnerMedia announced that Conan will officially end with the season 10 finale in June 2021.

The one thing surviving are his Conan Without Borders travel specials, which in the past have seen O'Brien tormenting his crew member Jordan Schlansky all across Italy and also heading to Greenland to find out what the country thinks of an American under President Donald Trump.

It definitely feels like the end of an era, but the start of a new one. Beginning in 2021, O'Brien will get his own weekly variety series for the HBO Max streaming platform.

"In 1993 Johnny Carson gave me the best advice of my career: 'As soon as possible, get to a streaming platform,'" O'Brien joked in a statement. "I’m thrilled that I get to continue doing whatever the hell it is I do on HBO Max, and I look forward to a free subscription."

"Twenty-eight years is a monumental achievement in late-night television," Brett Weitz, General Manager for TNT, TBS, and truTV, remarked. "We’re incredibly proud of the groundbreaking work that Conan and his team have accomplished during the 10 years at TBS and are so glad that we will continue to have his presence on our air with the Conan Without Borders specials. We celebrate his success and are glad to see it grow across our WarnerMedia family."

Last year, TBS made the move to reduce the hourlong Conan episodes down to a less-structured half-hour show. O'Brien still maintains his podcast, Conan O'Brien Needs a Friend, which he launched with co-hosts Sona Movsesian (his assistant) and Matt Gourley (his producer) in 2018.

https://ew.com/tv/conan-obrien-endi..._Mz4Is2ddgKkQm6_SwImS0NjnooWfv2zH2Qwg4D4AJLh8

TimDuncanDonaut and Xerobull like this.
  2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, crazy to think he has been on TBS for a decade now. Doesn't feel like that long ago he made that jump.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I love Conan but don't really watch the show anymore. I'll catch YouTube clips every now and then. He does great with the travel stuff. Also has a really good podcast.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Daily content is exhausting just for showing up, let alone finding ways to make people laugh.

He'll prob earn just as much in the long term. Streamers paying ridiculous money for comedians doing specials rn.

Rocket River likes this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

His show has been garbage ever since he went to the 30 minute segments of sit down coffee talk. Then covid hit and it got even worse.

Jontro and Blatz like this.
  6. Outlier

Outlier Member

Conan was the best of them all.

7. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Out of all of them, he would be the funnest to hang out with.

arkoe, TimDuncanDonaut and tmoney1101 like this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

rip goat conan.

tmoney1101 likes this.
  9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

All true and I’d much rather see him on hbo max because I have that service but I don’t have tbs because I don’t have cable. I’m excited for this.

BigM and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  10. TimDuncanDonaut

It's a good move for Conan and WarnerMedia. WB gets to keep their talent in house, which as a studio are known for with relationship to their actors. HBO Max is their future flagship.

Conan's travel segments has always been popular. Jordan will get more air time. Hope they keep Andy at some capacity. (even if a producer behind the scenes)

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

so his tonight show staff will finally be jobless for real this time

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Definitely the best of what's left. The whole genre has sucked since Letterman left.

FrontRunner likes this.
  13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

A little overdue but this is a good development. Conan kinda lost his mojo for late night a few years after the TBS shift.

He's a great creative leader and I think a new medium/project will serve him well.

DonkeyMagic, Ziggy and FrontRunner like this.
  14. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Arsenio got more media attention when he ended his show than Conan.

Ziggy likes this.