1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj]Covington traded for Ariza

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zeeshan2, Nov 16, 2020.

1. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Sending RoCo away is a joke…it's not rebuilding, it's dismantling for good.
    Damn it, stupid tilman.

D-rock and ksny15 like this.
  2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Tanking was a bad word. I meant rebuilding.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

They can tank actually, the Rockets picks, IIRC all of them are top 4 protected.

So, they have to go full tank mode, top 3 bottom worst team and hope the lotto gods give them some luck.

D-rock likes this.
  4. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Westbrook
    Harden
    Ariza
    Ibaka
    Turner

Amel likes this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

‘if they are the worst team in the NBA there is a 48% chance it falls outside the top 4. There is no bottoming out, give it up the rules changed.

6. TimDuncanDonaut

If Russ' contract was hard to shop around, wasn't RoCo the sweetner to make it more attractable? Now they can't even used that.

D-rock likes this.
  7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

That's a dangerous to attempt. Imagine we ****ing land the 5th pick. The year of tanking would be an absolute waste.

D-rock and Deckard like this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I mean, that means there is about a coin flip's chance they keep their pick. I'm saying technically they can still tank.

9. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

Maybe harden and Westbrook ain’t goin nowhere

10. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

Who knows at this point tho

11. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I know some have posited the theory that ariza trade is to make harden happy due to their close relationship...

But would anyone be surprise if Tilman cuts ariza before 11/20 when his contracts becomes fully guaranteed. Only 1.8 million or so of arizas contract is guaranteed.

AleksandarN and Hank McDowell like this.
  12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

makes no sense. Being that bad and losing your pick is absolutely devastating. Next year yes. Harden isn’t being moved just yet,

ElPigto and HP3 like this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

True, it's risky, but if they are going to put young unproven players on the floor then it will naturally result in having a terrible record any ways.

ElPigto likes this.
  14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It makes a lot more sense to trade him in a sign and trade scenario or of course you drop him. I doubt Ariza is staying here.

HP3 and blahblehblah like this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Sometimes parts of trades are announced and we learn it's part of a bigger deal. That's what could be happening here, could be a three team trade.

fattz likes this.
  16. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Kevin Love please!

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Keeping Harden a year just to keep him is bad if you're going to rebuild because he gets all the leverage. He gets to say "I want to go here." and you have to appease him because no one will trade him for a 1 year rental...well, Maybe the Raptors do that again but he loses a TON of value next year.

ksny15 likes this.
  18. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Then trading Covington to a Western rival would be a mega mistake. Either Morey took all the smart people in the FO with him who don’t just pay attention to box scores or Tilman and CO are ****ing mental. Houston isn’t going to be competitive this year even if they keep Harden and Westbrook. 2 disgruntled starts who hate the owner and then you lose one of the most important pieces on the team for rookies and mid tier ones at that? If they wait to trade them the value will be even less next year.

19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

We cannot waive him without a buy out. By trading him here his money was guaranteed.

I am telling you.
    Ariza is here to try to fix this locker room.

Maybe it doesn’t work but you don’t give away Russ after spending tons of assets and you don’t trade Harden until it’s completely toast. Even then you only send him for the most assets which must include a young star so no Nets.

Add Myles Turner via Gordon + FRP and sign KCP to lower MLE and we are better than before.

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Link? My understanding is that his deal is partially guaranteed.

21. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Not much of Ariza’s contract is guaranteed. Knowing Tilman, they probably plan to release him and keep the cheap draft picks to begin the rebuild and save some money at the same time. That’s my guess anyway, and I’m expecting to see more
    My thoughts EXACTLY.

fattz likes this.