1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is the Trump Coup underway?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Nov 10, 2020.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The reason why I think you are trolling now is that the vast majority of Trump supporters are pretty confident that Biden is going to be sworn in but they still believe the election was rigged. So they are on phase 2 while you are on phase 1 which is weird. No one actually believes Trump's lawsuits will accomplish anything worthwhile.

HP3 likes this.
  2. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Ahh...who's trolling now?

Please tell me you aren't serious. You don't have to give me a link to anything, but please confirm that was posted as a joke.

3. fchowd0311

No. How are those links jokes? Why are you calling someone a troll for sincerely answering your question?

4. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I honestly, thought you were joking. My bad.

Here's one for YOU: https://www.emptywheel.net/
    Marci Wheeler - her site get's some good comments. Some from the intel community. Some Hackers too. She's biased, but biased to your liking. Thank me later.

5. fchowd0311

Can you point to some things that vouches for their credibility like I did with NYT and WSJ by describing how they generate revenue and their 100+ year reputation they have to stand on to generate said revenue?

6. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Huh? No, I can't. The link I sent will get you into the weeds and out of the mainstream. It's not right-wing either. Marci is totally left wing.

Don't take this the wrong way, but those are the same news outlets that helped propagate the yellow cake fallacy and were used to sway opinion into supporting the 2nd Iraq War. They are heavily influenced by lobbyists, politicians and the intelligence communities. Mainstream is dead to me.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

They should remake idiocracy. It’s happening before our eyes.

8. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It was a minority, but there were anti-war voices represented in the mainstream. Particularly if one ventured out to international press.

The mainstream news definitely operates within certain ideological boundaries, and it is important to be aware of that. But that doesn't mean you ignore it if you want to be actually informed about the world at large. There is a lot of BS out there that falls outside those boundaries, and the mainstream press -- with its investigative resources -- can often be a good resource for exposing why its BS. To cynically assume that anything from the mainstream is illegitimate would be a mistake.

joshuaao, jboslett, CometsWin and 2 others like this.
  9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

All mainstream leftist outlets that have an agenda to push for their billionaire overlords. Independent media is the future.

B@ffled likes this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Gets. Not "get's". G**damn, it's / its has really ruined English spelling.

RayRay10 and B@ffled like this.
  11. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Yeah. You're right. I do read articles published by those MSM outlets. Typically, I'm led there by a link. And it would be wrong to say all of it is 100% garbage or propaganda. I was one of the ones who who was for the war. I bought in 100% and at the time I believed it was for the greater good.

12. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

I'm so lazy now, I hardly bother.

It's / Its.... It is = It's or It has ....correct?

get's...nada. My pinky slipped it in. I was considering buying the grammar app. Forgot what it's called (Grammarly?). I could use it in my email. But it may change my personality on the board...hahahaaaaaaaa!!!

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Sorry to be the grammar jerk. It's such a common thing, anyway. :cool:

RayRay10 and B@ffled like this.
  14. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

There's a whole lotta truth in that post. MSM needs to be sent a message. What would be awesome is if they had to tag each piece as opinion or objective. If tagged objective, they would be then forced to correct any errors or reporting that turns out to be false. But the real problem is the small amount of wealthy people who own those rags. We all fight against the 1%, but they are the ones giving feeding us their news.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

And I was against the war and very skeptical of the mainstream's enthusiasm for the US war machine, and continue to be to this day. So I'm sympathetic to your view that we can't just pretend anything from the mainstream news is the pristine truth. They are invested in portraying a certain narrative about how the world works. But in trying to do so, convincingly, they (at least the well-reputed ones) must use facts and form logical arguments. So there's some good information in there, whether or not it leads us to the same conclusions they want to us reach.

B@ffled and RayRay10 like this.
  16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I heard it first from you in the bbs. Hadn't seen articles in my newsfeed because I don't read trashy rightwing conspiracy rags. But apparently enough people do that the NYT felt they needed an article to debunk it.

On NYT, yes they have a bias in their worldview. All journalists and news organizations will have their bias and it effects what and how they report. As a reader, you need to know who you're reading and what their lean is. Aside from bias, there's also professionalism and journalistic integrity. And you can see why NYT has a reputation for professionalism if you're reading for it. Which is why I don't much like the fragmentation caused by the internet where people are reading random articles from some aggregator or marketing platform as if it was just a news commodity and the author didn't matter. Being familiar with the lens a paper sees the world through, and being able to trust in the professionalism of their journalists is really important. Especially nowadays. So, yeah NYT has a bias. I have a feel for it because I read it every day. But I trust them more than anyone because I know they're pros and I know I agree with their worldview. I've got no problem with them.

17. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...people can b!tch and moan about the truth all they want to, to me...

...as long as they bother to tell the truth in the first place...;)

#177 mdrowe00, Nov 13, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  18. CCorn

CCorn Member

Trump will soon settle with licking all the doorknobs at the White House and say he called minesies.

19. noppeper

noppeper Member

You are just F5-F5-F5'ing for the Trump News Network to come online.

If you read the news from multiple sources, then you can at least weed out some of the bs. With the Trump News Network, you won't have to do that, since it will ALL be Enquirer level bs.

jboslett, RayRay10, vlaurelio and 2 others like this.
  20. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Trump news network would be horrible. I see folks on the right calling to boycott or drop Fox News because they are angry about Fox calling AZ early. There's been a couple of other issue too. The cut Newt Gingrich off because he mentioned George Soros. That was crazy the way that happened. It was deliberate. They are suggesting OANN and Newsmax. I tried Newsmax one morning and it was like watching Rush Limbaugh, just a different personality. No thanks. I'll stick to local news because it's informative and pick up the rest of the news cycle clicking around.

The whole idea of 'Trump News' flies in the face of what we on the right feel we're fighting against, and that's state media mesaging, like in Russia. Fox does this on behalf of Trump, save a few voices who dissent from time to time. Believe it or not, Juan is one of my favorites. I respect a guy who knows he's gonna get hammered on but still fights the fight he believes in. And he does it in a graceful manner given the circumstances.