1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

All 50 States, Ranked by Their Food

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by adoo, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I like "lowbrow" food, but that just sounds like wings and fries in a box. What's different about it? The price? Seriously -- I wanna know. lol.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

It's nothing different its just that nobody was really doing that basic of a meal and the price andthe fact that everybody was doing it.

I still don't know anybody who really does it now just some random stands and convenience stores.

When I moved to Baltimore in the early 90's it was a revelation as a broke graduate student.

3. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Texas is #1.

King1 likes this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Boss Hog sez so.

/Thread

BossHogg713 likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I get the broke part. Like when I think of Maryland, I think of crab cakes or something. Not price friendly for broke students, but it's something they're known for or that you can't find necessarily done as well in 95% of the rest of the country. When people said Nashville hot chicken was great fried chicken, I said "whatever - it's fried chicken and they dump cayenne on it, probably". Once I tried it? No. It's that good. It's more than super hot chicken.... and hardly anybody other than chains from Nashville do it as good (I tried KFC's and that was just sad).

The chicken box concept just seemed like a wings and fries in a box meal that pretty much you could get anywhere, but you're right if the price is cheap. I used to get garlic chicken on a stick or wings and fried rice from Timmy Chan pretty cheap. Back when I was in college it was about hitting chinese food buffets or cici's for $2.99 or $3.99 (back in the 90's). Eat one meal and have it last the whole day so you wouldn't have to spend more money. LOL.

Invisible Fan and jiggyfly like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Actually it's just like wings and fried rice from Timmy Chans but if they did it in every convienence store.

Remember Wendy's buffet?

What was the mexican restaurant that had the all you can eat? I remember getting high AF and gorging on Flautas

7. Buck Turgidson

Pancho's?

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeppers.

We used to kill that place.

Had my 1st sopapillas there, I know it is thought of a cheap now but I loved that place.

Invisible Fan and Buck Turgidson like this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

OMG, we wore that flag out. That food always got its revenge on me later, though. lol.

Invisible Fan and Buck Turgidson like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Never went to Pancho's a lot, but did have 1 memorable trip there on the trip back from a Saturday afternoon football game. There is no way in hell that place made money off 45 HS football players eating all they could.

The Ninfa's on Richmond/Kirby had a solid happy hour free buffet back in the day. Go in after work, have a couple of margaritas and dinner for $10

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Prob the non-name brand price to goodness value that now fetches from 6-9 bucks depending on size.

Korean Fried Chicken is the t*** with their dippable sauces and dry seasonings. It used to be cheap like pork belly, but alas...

#71 Invisible Fan, Nov 12, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I'm contemplating making some Korean chicken recipes at home. I already made some buldak using Maangchi's recipe (minus the cheese... next time, I'll add the cheese) and it was awesome. She's got fried chicken recipes on her YouTube channel and her website, too. Here's some buldak to drool over :