1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I had highlighted that earlier. I'm not sure it's funny, but it's an odd correlation: if it's legitimately above the data noise, I can see only two possible explanations: (1) behavior of the mentally ill puts them in a higher risk category (doubtful, if one is for example depressed and staying at home); or (2) something about the physiology of mental illness (a big umbrella) puts a person at greater physiological risk of their body interacting with SARS-CoV2 virus (but that seems almost impossible, unless the virus was first and foremost a CNS-based virus.

I just don't get it and am even hoping it was a mistype. (?)

Invisible Fan likes this.
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Not a typo, the study goes into more detail (abstract for tl;dr purposes):
    "A psychiatric diagnosis in the previous year was associated with a higher incidence of COVID-19 diagnosis (relative risk 1·65, 95% CI 1·59–1·71; p<0·0001). This risk was independent of known physical health risk factors for COVID-19, but we cannot exclude possible residual confounding by socioeconomic factors."

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(20)30462-4/fulltext#:~:text=A large case-control study,disorder, depression, and schizophrenia

B-Bob likes this.
  3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm not really putting much weight into this because a very quick google search showed this phenomenon is not unique to covid. I also remembered the British guy Dr John Campbell talking about how all serious infections can have collateral damage to the body and take longer to recover from than we generally realize is the case. I'll try to find the video later.

BallaDoc and tinman like this.
  4. conquistador#11

I suppose that's better than hearing loud voices like the Green Goblin

Invisible Fan likes this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

Hope everything works well and they have a fine recovery. My thoughts and prayers to you and your family.Stay safe.

6. malakas

malakas Member

Awful news. After all the precautions you have taken to get it in such a way..shows how really infectious this germ is.
    I hope you all have a good and quick recovery.
    My thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

B-Bob, FrontRunner and Yung-T like this.
  7. malakas

malakas Member

Over here everything was going fine and then suddendly since last week BAM everything ballooned and exploded.
    The deaths right now are like 10 times more than the first wave.
    40+ deaths per day..that's the equivalent if the USA had 1200+ deaths per day. Awful.
    The ICU beds are almost full.
    Relatives decide to not even incubate their old relatives and let them die.

The CDC even was surprised and said that they are checking if the virus has mutated and became more infectious.

Today they decided to have a complete curfew from 9 PM.
    Yet there are a lot of people including old who decide to suddendly begin "sports" aka wearing sports suits and going outside and sitting on a bench for chat and coffee in hand.

I think at this point the government should rip off all the benches from the plazas and parks and start filming coffins and morgues to get everyone serious to the situation at hand.

FrontRunner and Yung-T like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Speedy recovery, we are all under threat until a vaccine comes along, and even then.

Yung-T and malakas like this.
  9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Nook,

I'm so sorry to read your news. It's scary. We all have a moment or two when we let down our guard somehow---touch our face before washing our hands, that kind of thing. I'm often telling myself, Wait....did I just...?

My 78 year-old uncle and 77 year-old aunt have Covid. They live in Iowa, no mask mandate, probably caught it at the gym. I'm trying to get an update from my dad but we haven't chatted much since the election. My uncle's been hospitalized.

I hope the symptoms subside soon.

B-Bob, FrontRunner, Yung-T and 2 others like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Speedy recovery Nook to you and your fam.

11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I assume you are fairly young since you have an 8 year old, so chances of it getting bad are pretty slim. We had go through our friends group. We had 8 cases across 3 families, and a few showed no symptoms, most only had symptoms for a day, and the worse being sick ( a little worse than a cold) for a week. I hope you guys get well soon.

Nook, Yung-T and malakas like this.
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Get well soon!

FrontRunner, Nook and Yung-T like this.
  13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Curious what gym did you go to and how many people there wear masks?

14. HTM

HTM Member

How is this possible @Nook I thought you were locked down out in the country somewhere with some other families?

Mild snark aside, I wish you and your family the best.

Nook likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

We were locked down for a long time until my partners tried to take my business away so I had to come out.

So far it hasn’t been fun but no one has had to go to the ER.

London'sBurning, malakas and B-Bob like this.
  16. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

It is interesting to see UK, IT, ES, FR, DE and Greece all have sharp spikes in Covid deaths to levels unseen since April this past week, while on the other hand the US also has the highest amount of Covid cases per day ever but at the same time no noticeable increase in deaths. Hopefully this is not due to a new deadlier strain of the virus.

malakas likes this.
  17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I do Brazilian jiujitsu so no masks and obviously no social distancing lol

tinman likes this.
  18. HTM

HTM Member

Ah, that's too bad. I hope you were able to straighten out that situation.

Well, I shall keep you and your family in my prayers/intentions. I wish everyone the best.

19. Major

Major Member

One other explanation is that people who have mental disorders - things like anxiousness - maybe simply be more likely to get tested out of concern or with just mild symptoms. So it could have nothing to do with actual level of ilness but simply higher diagnoses.

malakas and B-Bob like this.
  20. Major

Major Member

I think the big difference is that all those other countries largely stamped out the virus and got deaths down to 0 over the summer. Deaths are still rising here - we're up like 40% in the last month, but the US never had that same dip - we've continued to have people die all summer, so it's not having that same rise now in deaths relatively speaking. But overall, our deaths are higher relative to our April peak than Europe is to their peaks. Our death rate per case isn't as high as it was back then, but most people think that's largely because our testing was so poor that we were missing so many cases back then.

malakas likes this.