1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Ex-Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow, sues team

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Do WHAT?, Nov 8, 2020.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I am interested in what you think my “agenda” is. Your opinion that I “don’t really understand the depths of human nature” whatever that means, is meaningless. Not sure why you’re sniping.

What one person characterizes as a “witch hunt” might otherwise be described as “owners excommunicating an unlikable GM who broke the rules, both written and unspoken.”

SamCassell likes this.
  2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]
    In the filing we find Luhnow's lawyers alleging that Tom Koch-Weser, the Astros' director of advance information and the "Dark Arts/Codebreaker" guy, was told by the Astros that he could keep his job as long as he implicated Luhnow.

http://www.astroscounty.com/2020/11/tuesday-morning-hot-links.html

I was wondering what his basis for the lawsuit was. That does sound damning if true.

"
    Was told by the Astros" had to be Crane, right?

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I wonder who was twisting Crane's arm?

Another possibility is that Luhnow and Crane were not getting along that well before the scandal. That does not sound that likely. But Crane did throw Luhnow under the bus. :shrug:

For those keeping track at home,

Cora lead the cheating effort and is now a MLB manager again.

Hinch who tried and failed to stop the cheating is now a MLB manager.

MLB office could have told teams to stay away from those two, but appears to not have.

Lunhow who at best had second hand knowledge of the cheating is still unemployed. Luhnow's record of building a WS champion is not disputed and should be considered one of the best MLB GMs. Luhnow is unemployed. Finding a great GM is a harder get than finding a great manager, so one has to wonder if the MLB office is telling teams to stay away from Luhnow.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Probably because he wants to be a GM again. Since no one is knocking on his door and seems to be black balled, he's going to get what is rightfully his. I hope he gets his money. He deserves it as much as anyone. Best GM in the biz and can't get a job? It's pretty obvious what's going on, and they will pay him because they don't want him going really public about the stuff that went down.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

If your not cheating you'r not trying.

He will get another job making as much money as he did with the Astros he has skins on the wall.

I have no idea why you think he will have to settle for a lower level job, people have done far worst and have ended up with better jobs just look at wall street.

raining threes likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have to disagree, winning trumps everything and as ownership trends younger they will actually look over the suing especially if it has merit.

Somebody desperate will hire him and I bet he is suing because some owner told him he is being blackballed.

RayRay10 and raining threes like this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That allegation makes no sense to me, does anybody really think the players did not know or that MLB would just tell Lunhow about it and not all of the players?

If so that's malpractice by MLB.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Big difference Hinke did not get the chip and did not leave them the foundation to be contenders for the next 10 years, some of that is because baseball and basketball are different but Hinke also has some huge misses on draft picks.

Excuse me but has Tampa won a WS or been in the championship game 4 years in a row?

#68 jiggyfly, Nov 10, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    raining threes likes this.
  9. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

I figured it out.
    [​IMG]

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Is it that those players where drafted or that they were developed to their full potential.

Lunhow was the one who saw something in Altuve and kept him up full time and the pitching ultimately won them the world series and Gurriel had as much to do with winning as the other 2.

It was a team effort and Lunhow put together the team.

11. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

You can say it was Lunhow who "saw something in Altuve" after he'd been in the organization for years, but in 2011 (before Luhnow took over) his slash line in the minors was .389/.426/.591. As a 21 year old. He only hit .276 in the majors in a partial season, but it didn't take a lot of projection to see at that point he was worth giving full-time ABs to. Especially on a basement-dwelling 2012 club. I'm willing to give Luhnow a lot of credit for the moves he made. But letting Altuve play full time wasn't one of them. He lucked into that. (Too bad he let J.D. Martinez go from that same squad).

12. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Meanwhile Boston is bringing back everyone. Any doubt that his new salary will more than make up for the earnings he missed out on since being "fired"...plus a little extra thank you money for taking the fall.

13. raining threes

If he broke rules, which he said he didn't.

I guess owners don't put winning first.

14. raining threes

Spot on

Diggity doesn't want to hear this though.

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wow!

Talk about a huge middle finger.

I am not one to usually get into the league is out to get us talk but this **** here just reeks and the silence by the major media speaks volume.

I have been waiting for some writer to take the contrarian stance but they all seem to be milking the "scandal" for all its worth.

The Astros really pissed of a lot of people.

raining threes, TWS1986 and RayRay10 like this.
  16. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

The Astros would never have been busted for the sign-stealing scandal if Brandon Taubman had not acted like an insensitive, drunken ******* towards female reporters (one being an MLB senior reporter that used to cover the team in Alyson Footer) in the locker room after the Astros won game 6 of the 2019 ALCS, and the Astros’ organization compounded the problem by immediately sending out a press release defending Taubman and blaming the female reporters for the incident.

Those acts galvanized all reporters to find any dirt on the Astros, and, suddenly, there was interest in seeing if Mike Fiers’ claim about the Astros illegally stealing signs electronically had any merit. It did, and the rest is history. Fiers had been telling this story for years, and no reporter took him seriously until the Astros’ organization pissed off the media.

#76 DVauthrin, Nov 11, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We knew MLB & Crane settled on this. It's classic MLB modus operandi. They are so bold(big time hypocrisy at work)...and it grows more audacious with each passing year.

By not paying Luhnow off, and blackballing him, they forced him to eventually sue.. in an attempt to make him look even worse. They obviously settle, but...it all stinks to high Heaven.

raining threes, jim1961 and RayRay10 like this.
  18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Dude I have no idea what I did to make you grind this axe.

Owners don’t put winning above what they view as the integrity of the game or the value of their product.

Ive already said I don’t blame Luhnow for suing. I think it says something about him that he waited to do it until after it became clear no other team would hire him. If your assertion that Luhnow’s firing and blackballing was the result of a witch hunt designed to cover up wrong doing by other teams and the league, why hasn’t Luhnow come out with that? What he alleges in his lawsuit seems like hearsay. If he sticks to his gun and rejects settlements in order to get the truth out there, I will eat crow and my opinion of Luhnow will change dramatically. If he settles, which I consider highly likely, then he’s just another guy trying to get his.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Maybe he wants to get what is rightfully his without destroying the game. Everyone loses if it comes out that every team was cheating.

raining threes and RayRay10 like this.
  20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

[​IMG]

msn, raining threes and RayRay10 like this.