1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biden wants student debt cancellation: Schumer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by GreatOne1978, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Here's what everyone is overlooking ....

People aren't going to college to be average earners .... they are going to be above that.
    Thing is , even if you send everyone to college , there aren't that many jobs that pay above the average , there are going to be people stuck in those lower wage groups no matter what. And someone is going to say .... It isn't fair , well , it aint fair but there's no way to make life fair , hell there's no way to make opportunity fair cause who knows when opportunity knocks ?

I don't even think its possible to "prepare everyone equally" and that's what college is - preparation.

Colleges , particularly those for profit types like to mislead people into believing they will be in that above average bracket after graduation .... Often that just aint the truth of the matter.

We really need to dispense with the idea that college is mandatory for success .... colleges have become predatory because of that idea making costs and the associated debt load rise as a result.
    Then there's the fact that so much of that education is **** that has nothing to do with the end result .... but we have to pay for those classes anyhow or don't get the "degree".

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The median value of American homes have increased by nearly 3 fold in the past 50 years. The median value includes all of America and isn't an average where it can inflate due to wealthy home values. It's the most accurate representation of the increase in the cost of living in this country.

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

And how does this prevent you from moving to suburbs?

5. fchowd0311

We really need to understand the concept of strawmen. Not sure who you are debating against who believe college should be the only route.

No politician, no activist, no one here believes that so my question is, who are you debating? The ether?

6. fchowd0311

Because the median value of housing in the suburbs also nearly increased by 3 fold since the past 50 years.

7. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Then move further out.

8. roxstarz

roxstarz Member

Will an executive order be able to write off student loans? It doesn't look like the filibuster is going away anytime soon even if the Dems get both Georgia seats.

9. fchowd0311

Ya the value of property have also increased there. And many people can't afford a car that can handle those miles of driving back and forth 5 times a day. Also for many minority groups, rural communties can be scary as those communties are not used to seeing people that have hijabs or are brown. Things like new mosque development is met with protests. Not exactly welcoming. Minorites feel much safer in suburbs.

Again, rural communties have fewer jobs and the jobs they do have offset any savings you get from lower property values with lower wages.

Nook likes this.
  10. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Then don't move to rural communities? In any case, this will never escalate into armed revolution. You understand that, right?

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

If so, that would mean that the loans could be reinstated through executive order.

12. s3ts

s3ts Member

I mean, just go into what I'm dodging. I have a very deep mental image of the American dream, but it isn't just doing nothing and getting a ton of money.

13. fchowd0311

It definitely will if these trends of housing, healthcare and education keep rising and greatly outpace wage increases. It definitely is heading towards that direction. The real question is whether we are 10 years out or 30 years out.

Nook likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

Working full time isn't doing "nothing". There are millions of people who of no fault of their own might not have the mental capacity, have learning disabilities etc who can only perform menial jobs. They deserve housing, healthcare, food etc. I'll call them whiney b****es if they start asking for new Alfa Romeos and 5 bedroom houses with an acre of land.

Nook likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

You have no idea of what my concept of apartment or home is.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nope and once again you show a serious lack of self awareness and thin skin.

You make decent arguments but when you get push back you start to sprinkle in hyperbole.

I love the way this thread was going and I hate to derail it by people focusing on your slavery comment.

It's not fair to the thread or fair to actual slaves.

17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

It's really not, but I appreciate the trolling.

18. fchowd0311

Slavery is not a binary concept. There are many forms of slavery. Race based chatel slavery is probably the worst example of slavery. So no I'm not comparing that slavery to the slavery of working full time and still not deserving basic life necessities.

I understand how without that context it can sound offensive so I hear your concern.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't really think that is a idea that is thought of by the majority anymore.

College is more of a status symbol these days in my opinion.

20. fchowd0311

It definitely is. And I don't appreciate the trolling. Do you want me to show you trends of median household debt and median household wages?

Nook likes this.