1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Let's talk about pardoning President Trump....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AleksandarN, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No , I asked a simple question - What has he been charged with ?

If he hasn't been charged with anything , what are you pardoning him for ?

That dude in the video is just baiting people for clicks. Whole buncha talk about .... Nothing at all.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Trump has not been charged since he is a sitting President. But you knew that.

Once Trump becomes Citizen Trump again, he will face legal exposure for all of his alleged criminal acts while President. If any of those lead to convictions, Trump may become very interested in Presidential pardon.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is very likely a sealed indictment waiting for Trump from the Stormy Daniels affair given that he was the unnamed co-conspirator to Michael Cohen. Mueller said that he didn't charge Trump for obstruction of justice because of DOJ policy regarding a sitting President but made it clear that once a President left office he could be charged.

5. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I've been saying this for awhile and still think it is possible that a deal get's struck between Trump and an incoming Biden Administration to maybe not pardon but not pursue him if Trump agrees to go away. I don't think Biden wants to be seen as the President that prosecuted his predecessor. While Biden says that he won't interfere with his DOJ that's not the way much of the country or history will perceive it. My view of Biden is knowing that half of the country still voted for Trump and also that he would like to get his own agenda going would consider a prosecution of Trump as very divisive and a major distraction to what his administration has to do.

I still think the best thing for this country and Trump himself is to resign sooner and leave the transition to Pence. Pence may very well pardon Trump but of course that won't stop state charges so Trump should leave the country and keep a low profile. That might be impossible for him to do though.

dobro1229, fchowd0311 and RayRay10 like this.
  6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Would President Law and Order even accept a pardon when everything he has ever done has been the best anyone has ever done?

No Worries and RayRay10 like this.
  7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Whichever option makes him irrelevant quicker.

8. edwardc

edwardc Member

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I was just thinking that what might be as satisfying as seeing Trump do a perp walk is to see him like Henry Hill at the end of Goodfellas. A nobody remembering when he used to be a big shot.

It would be very fitting for Trump to end up like a character out of a Scorcese movie. Rising to the top and then ending up bitter and irrelevant as their past catches up with them.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I wish he goes away quietly, but I just don't see it. Not only because of his personality -- the media also loves to cover him and that's not changing.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Pardon after a conviction. I don't need him spending time in jail, but I don't see a benefit to just writing off any wrongdoing without examining it.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...as long as we're going through the trouble of having these national presidential election results haggled over (maybe) in court...

...why not examine any evidence of wrongdoing by the outgoing administration?

...in the interests of compromise and good will and love-thy-neighbor and stuff, I mean...:p;)

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Trump literally cannot be charged with anything due to DOJ guidelines on sitting presidents. Hence why he's deathly afraid of leaving office.

vlaurelio and No Worries like this.
  14. dobro1229

Guidelines that were written by the Nixon DOJ mind you. Guidelines that have no basis in law, and actually there is precedent to Presidents being charged with crimes while sitting in office. Ulysses S. Grant was arrested while he was a sitting president. It was a misdemeanor, but still that's still a crime, and he still was arrested. A felony or "High Crime"... well that's never been tested, but there is NOTHING in the Constitution that says presidents have blanket immunity. Nothing.

The next attorney general needs to reform those guidelines which are paper thin. If Republicans wants impeachment to be the only remedy then they should take it to a constitutional convention. I'm sure the Democrats in the House would LOVE to rethink the limits of the President so they can have more power in the process.

RayRay10, VooDooPope and fchowd0311 like this.
  15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

#1 I can't imagine what that deal would look like, what would be the language, what would be the remedies
    #2 A deal with Trump? Sure Lucy won't pull that football away this time.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Trump cannot do jail time, period. There will be 3000 heavily armed and organized militia going to break him out while daring the Federal government to stop them.

I believe that Trump deserves to rot, and that he is one of the most despicable humans ever to walk this earth for what it's worth, but putting him in jail would be disastrous to this county.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You have it backwards.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

One other reason to go after Trump is...we are seeing it now.

He's not going to lie down.

Now remember, when Trump took office, if Obama so much as coughed you'd have Fox and other rightwing outlets go "Tsk tsk, former presidents are not supposed to criticize and speak too much on their successors!" Which I agree with. It just adds to whatever divide there is. Obama mostly kept Trump's name out of his mouth until election time came and if you have a 2 term beloved former president you're going to use it.

Trump? Ooooh, Trump will still do rallies. You're crazy if you think he won't. He loves that attention and adoration and he's going to rail on every thing Biden does. He's going to be ever present unless you scare him away with his legal issues. Otherwise? He's going to be on TV as much as possible, he's going to still hold his rallies, and he's going to ramp up for 2024 because he has no shame. None.

I knew he would never concede but it is still shocking to see this. I sorely miss the Dubya, and McCain, and thankful for Romney. It feels like the GOP has just lost complete respect for their peers and complete respect for this nation.

RayRay10 and updawg like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

So****ing weird at the thought Ex-Con Trump doing rallies, earning 300k per joint...A similar amount Hillary or Barack earns by doing a "speech" in front of crusty old bankers.

You wonder why he populist and the party he's against isn't...that's one datapoint.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. dobro1229

The way the GOP, Senators, Bill Barr, etc. are acting to undermine democracy they are earning my approval to have Biden appoint an attack dog of a AG who will clean house on their a$$es. Seriously F these autocratic corrupt thugs. I’m ready for a restoration of the rule of law.

RayRay10 likes this.