1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now that Trump is defeated, how do you defeat Trumpism?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Nov 7, 2020.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I’m still waiting for final number and analysis. There seems to be people jumping at conclusion of progressive vs moderate Dem and who did better or worse. It wouldn’t surprise me if progressive did better locally (district level), but worse elsewhere (state and national level).

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One thing that Biden and the House could do is propose a series of anti-corruption laws that would make much of the grift and nepotism that’s occurred in the Trump White House impossible. He could even frame it as a response to all the rumors surrounding Hunter - something like “I don’t want Americans to ever have to worry whether the integrity of the White House is compromised, so I’m proposing this...” Basically, make all the traditions that were honored up until Trump into law.

As for fighting Trumpism, these would be slogans I would consider:

Effective and efficient government - Emphasize that the goal of the Democrats is not to arbitrarily expand the size and role of government, but to ensure that it does well at what we all expect it do well. Show a willingness to audit government offices and implement changes to make them more efficient and cost-effective. Use this message to counter the “baby and bath water” approach of the GOP and remind them (with specific examples) of the consequences of the GOP’s version of “small and limited” government. Many Trumpers are still under the sway of Reagan’s “government is the problem” messaging, and this is a way to counter that and bring the more reasonable Trumpers.

New Economy for everyone - One thing the Covid pandemic has shown is that many corporate jobs can be done at home and from a distance. So Biden should offer incentives to companies that allow work from home and more importantly, that also hire people living in economically down areas. To further promote this, an infrastructure bill that sets up internet in small towns would make them much more attractive to people who can’t swing big city prices. Trump told people he was going to bring old jobs back, but Biden should emphasize that he’s going to bring them new jobs.

Patience and B-Bob like this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thank you. Came in here to post basically that sentiment.

How to "defeat" Trumpism?
    1. Don't think of it that way.
    2. Listen (which is not to say agree and definitely not coddle or pander).
    3. Create a climate that includes real economic opportunity for non-college-educated white men, (and of course many others).
    4. Take the declining white male lifespan and increasing suicide rates seriously.
    5. If you reverse #4, that would be progress.
    6. Thinking of good spokespeople and role models might help too. Professors lecturing Trump faithful about data and privileges and occam's razor doesn't seem to be making much progress. :oops:

You can do those things while making progress on other items too. (I say that before someone jumps in and says these ideas "abandon" other progressive priorities or more marginalized groups.)

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Most Americans don’t think the environment is a top 3-4 issue when they go into the voting booth. Selling the Green New Deal based on what scientists say isn’t going to win for the democrats. As I said (and you did as well), the only way it is a winner for the Democrats is to sell it on its financial benefits and creation of jobs. Selling it similar to the tech boom.

Space Ghost and RayRay10 like this.
  5. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

What if Andrew Yang is right and telling the truth... automation is coming for a bunch of jobs and it’s not realistic for those people to learn computer coding or some other ridiculous idea? What if the truth is that those people are f-cked?

Casting climate as an economic opportunity for those stuck in retail or those who have lost manufacturing jobs is absolutely the winning message, and Biden needs to make that priority #2 after the covid crisis. Hell, in certain states where people don’t believe that covid is real,perhaps it should be message #1. Because who gives a crap why I’m getting a decent new job that has a future...I just need it to arrive as soon as possible.

RayRay10 and JayZ750 like this.
  6. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Guess this is the best thread for this. Might help

London'sBurning likes this.
  7. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I think the first thing you have to do is defeat Trump. (check)

Next, get him out of the White House. (pending)

After that, he becomes irrelevant. The GOP isn't stupid. They're not going down with the ship. They're jumping on lifeboats. It won't happen overnight, but GOP leaders will start to move on. Some already have and it's only been 2 days. They squeezed everything they needed from him out over the last 4 years. Soon, they won't have much use for him anymore. I feel like many of them are just trying to save face by supporting him now, but will change their tune once he's officially gone.

VooDooPope and RayRay10 like this.
  9. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Free speech means defending someone's right to be wrong. I'm totally stealing material from the guest but the cliff notes is the importance of simply listening and to take seriously people's feelings of righteous indignation on all sides. That isn't to say that you grant that all indignations are equally righteous, but that you grant that people experience their indignations equally righteously. And that at the very least you do that by extending the courtesy of listening intently even if you fundamentally disagree.

These are people with real everyday struggles, and for whatever collection of reasons Trump resonated with them.

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.
  10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Ethics
    Ethics
    Ethics

Every conversation and campaign should ask the questions, Who are you working for? Who does your policy promote? How will they position my children and theirs? What does your religion really say? Are you telling the truth? What have your actions been?

RayRay10 likes this.