1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need to be allowed to rebuild...NOW.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 4, 2020.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

What's going to happen to all the teams way above the cap including our Rockets? Will they have to dump salary to meet the cap numbers?
    @BimaThug

2. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

This will give him a reason to sell the team... Haha we don't want him anyways!

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No, they'll just have to pay more luxury tax than they had otherwise planned/hoped to pay. Or they can dump more salary to avoid/mitigate the tax.

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I know nothing is really released publicly but I'd imagine the league is helping with this by reducing luxury tax penalties in the modified CBA. I feel there will be other remedies to help owners. They don't want owners dumping contracts in droves because the economy is trash and the stadiums aren't at capacity. Not just for now as COVID is bound to be a major issue for the next 6+ months but also in the aftermath when the job market still hasn't rebounded fully.

Tilman is 1 / 30 owners and he is one of the more well known billionaires in America who have seen their wealth shrink (at least publicly) versus grow. Tilman clearly has some pull as we heard rumors of gambling being implemented in someway for revenue opportunities. I think he knows he's going to be in the tax because of the new estimations and there is no way realistic way to avoid it with Russ and James here.

#84 treyk3, Nov 6, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wb demanding a trade would be hilarious after only 1 year.

You have no right to call the shots but every right to be traded.

6. Le$$

Le$$ Member

I think it be funny if he went up to James and said we are freinds and all but i have better freind in Paul Bye Felicia. lol

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I have told @lloyde8 this multiple times and he doesn’t care. He’s either in denial or is the fake insider himself.

@Lloyd Estacio he has two accounts too I guess.

D-rock likes this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Thanks a lot.

9. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

The Clippers end of that where they ship out Paul George and Patbev to get Westbrook and Kanter is...interesting.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Only Magic would need picks maybe, every other team in this trade is vastly improved.

PHI: Chris Paul & Paul George > Simmons & Harris - Embiid, CP3, PG13, Thybulle, Horford

LAC: Russ > Playoff P (Bev has to go to make $ work) - Russ, Kawhi, Shamet, Zubac, Scott/Diallo

OKC: Tobias, Richardson, Ross > CP3 salary - SGA, Schroder, Richardson/Ross, Tobias, Adams

And WB is undervalued in CF, that does not make this a reality for rest of NBA.

Several elite teams are showing interest in Russ: LAC, MIA, BOS

As well as several not so elite teams: ORL, DET, NYK

11. dmoneybangbang

I agree with the premise of the OP. Although getting fair value Harden will be nearly impossible, I feel Ben Simmons would be realistic and worthy headliner in a package.

Simmons isn't an elite offensive scorer but I think he can be an elite offensive playmaker and an elite defensive presence. He's young enough that we we can almost reset the window and not have to panic trade Russ immediately. We could have a goal of making the playoffs for the next two seasons while we try and reset our cap/roster to build around Simmons's strengths and weakness.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Going to trade Russ before Harden.

Harden is the 2nd greatest player in Rockets history.

And that is saying something considering the legacy of great Rockets players.

No way you just let him go in his prime. That is more than repugnant, it is criminally irresponsible.

Astrodome likes this.
  13. dmoneybangbang

Which would only shuffle the decks and still take a season or two to get out from under whatever we had to swallow with Russ.

And sometimes things don't work out how we'd like.

It wouldn't be "just" letting him go obviously.

What is more repugnant and criminally irresponsible is wasting Harden's prime under a cheap owner and bad contracts we get from a russ/ego trade.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

I've been around long enough that I've heard this familiar refrain.

Happened after Moses won his 1st MVP and when Dream was hurt/demanding contract extension.

Rockets fans are delusional sometimes.

15. dmoneybangbang

I'd be happy if Harden won a championship in Philly with Embiid because he won't win one here. I think some Rocket fans are delusional about our current hospitality reliant NBA owner and our situation.

16. Audioout

Audioout Member

I don't understand the people who act like last season was the best this team can do. Gordon was injured all season. Westbrook spent half the season shooting 3's like he was Curry and sat every other game on back to backs. We lost to a lot of easy to beat teams while beating more high seed teams than anyone but the Bucks.

Yeah, we can be injured again next season. But so can Anthony Davis, Curry, Lebron, Kawhi or anyone else trying to win it all. Much less we trading Harden who barely misses games for Simmons or Embiid who miss tons of games every season.

And lastly, those of you who see us having a bad owner and a weak GM...why would you trade the one sure thing you have for picks when you think the ones who will use those picks don't know what they're doing?

Also, reminder that Olajuwon hadn't won a championship until Harden's age either.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

None of the Fertittas play on the court.

I am not a fan of cutting off my own nose to spite my face.

Players like Moses, Hakeem and Harden are generational talents, you are not going to find them in THIS draft or even the next few.

Unlike you I'd rather not spend the next decade, if we are lucky, looking for the next Harden. I will enjoy having a top 3 player on my team for as long as possible.

Trading away Harden in his prime, especially while he still wants to be a Rocket, is a horrible precedent to set for future players.

Houston is already considered a tertiary destination in the NBA.

rockets1995 likes this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Embiid hasn't shown that he is ready or above anyone. Not yet.

Other than Lakers' odds, he isn't getting a guaranteed ship soon. GSW could be there.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Trading Russ makes sense (except if he is your franchise player's best friend) and in addition to bringing more talent as well as roster depth, this trade would also provide financial relief (not taking back as much salary as you sent out) to avoid LT shenanigans.

But I would love to build around both Harden and Russ the right way (beginning of the season instead of towards the end) as Morey/MDA originally intended then seeing what a healthy Russ and Harden combo (with the proper role players and depth) could really do in postseason.

At least one more season because that Russ vs. Lakers was not the same Russ pre-covid and quad injury.

https://clutchcitycontrolroom.com/2...s-should-not-even-consider-trading-westbrook/

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would love simmons next to Harden since he can create and also play the capella role.

D-rock likes this.