1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Most likely because if Brantley can’t play defense for whatever reasons, we would have 2 DH on the team. In a perfect situation, uncle Mike and Alvarez would split time at LF but who knows if Alvarez will ever play defense with his bump knees.

2. raining threes

They need to sign uncle Mike and if he gets to where he cant play LF, he can play 1B. He was in IF in the minors.

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  3. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

What's everyone's opinion on Eddie Rosario? Apparently the Twins could shop him but apparently has little to no value and a potential non tender candidate. So Houston could acquire him for dirt cheap but I think he would be projected to make $10 to $12 million which apparently is too much because of the financial uncertainty. Or wait for the Twins to non tender him and go after him in free agency for less money.

4. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I would be very interested in Kris Bryant.

My thought would be new team new player.
    Had a down season on a high contract looking for an extension.
    Hmmm
    What if we could get him. And play him in LF?
    Get a decent extension would it be worth it?

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

It likely wouldn’t even take that much, Bryant will get around 20 million, in this market that uses up any potential excess value he has

I can’t see Astros giving up Abreu and taking on that salary when they wouldn’t even offer Brantley the QO

6. awc713

awc713 Member

First thing that comes to mind is him striking out and getting tossed in the elimination game.;)

I think he would be an excellent addition to the lineup, but he could end up being a tad too expensive, and maybe we end up with a Reddick 2.0 situation. That said, Rosario could slot in a corner OF slot pretty seamlessly. I believe he’s an above average defender. It looks like he’s regressed since 2017 when he performed at an All Star level, but I wouldn’t hate picking him up.

punkoholic likes this.
  7. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I realize that on Bryant's salary but I don't put much stock in last season honestly. He's proven to be a good player. It would be like putting stock in Tuve's regular season. Too many variables.

That's a tough one as our pitching staff is all going to be young after next year provided we don't add a veteran arm at the deadline. I love Abreu but you never know with prospects. Look at Whitley. On Brantley, I think that they wanted to see what the market dictates

Nook and The Beard like this.
  8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Oh I agree that last year can’t be used as a predictor of what Bryant, or anyone, can do. Way too small of a sample size

To me it’s a simple money issue, why give up a legit prospect to add a 20 million dollar player. The free agent market is going to be overflowing with players begging for offers. If we want to spend, we can easily do so without giving up Abreu

9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

The only player the Astros would pay 20 million+ for is Springer. They aren't bringing in any big free agents. It will be quantity over quality because we have several holes that need to be filled.

I expect:
    1. signing either Jackie Bradley Jr or Profar

2. Trading for someone like Corey Dickerson

3. Signing a backup catcher in the 2-4 million dollar range

4. Signing a reclamation project starter for less than 10 million AAV

5. Signing one solid veteran reliever

kaleidosky and Nook like this.
  10. King1

And I agree with that perspective in general but it's so enticing to add Bryant to the lineup that may be without two big bats.

I really wish that the class was stronger as the money is definitely going to be dried up. I'm on the Archer bandwagon even though he talked negatively about us.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

#511 Joe Joe, Nov 4, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
  12. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

They mentioned it on Sportsmap Houston, but how would everyone feel about bringing Morton back? I think he's still got some juice left in the tank.

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

All for it. Love me some CFM.

joshuaao, Nippystix, Nook and 7 others like this.
  14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I suspect that CFM resigns with the Rays, for less (aka the current market rate). I do not see that the Astros and Rays (or any other team) get into a bidding war for CFM.

joshuaao and TWS1986 like this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think those are the only teams he will sign with. Maybe the Marlins. If not a bidding war, what does one call making a lowball offer, but one better than the other lowball offers and trying to be enough that Morton signs?

Nook likes this.
  16. awc713

awc713 Member

I could see Cohen and NYM going after Lindor. Maybe even NYY, too. Lindor trade could take a competitor off the market for Correa.

17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

IMO a team that was voluntarily a bottom 2 payroll for five consecutive years, doesn't get to complain about finances after being a top 10 payroll for two. What were the combined profits in those 5 years? Part of the rebuild was drafting and talent development, but another part should be the spending of that saved money in the years that it means something. And keeping the talent you developed, that played for cheap during the lean years. This is the window. You go cheap in 2012-2016, that's smart and "trusting the process". Going cheap in 2021 is something different.

I'm not going to be happy if the Astros choose to avoid spending to further the collusion the owners appear to be working on this year. Remember years ago when the team refused to spend over-slot for draft picks because Bud Selig pushed teams to do so?

DVauthrin and PuzzledFan like this.
  18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Would he refuse to consider the Astros because of that?

19. King1

I didn't say that he would or wouldn't

20. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I wasn't implying you said so. I was just asking the pertinent follow up question.