1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Will U of H ever get into a power 5?

2. Buck Turgidson

You should be asking if UH will ever play a game

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Never, Houston football talent and broadcast ratings are like oil and uranium in a sub-Saharan country, everyone else will a get piece before we do, the leaders will run and shoot to Kling to power without taking us any Ware special.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The best bet was probably going independent right after the SWC split, getting some Enron exec to buy us a coach and a lease at Reliant Stadium the same time UT fired Mackovic, and just scheduling top programs all season long to up our strength of schedule and maybe eventually win.

5. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Team looks much better than last year.

6. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Coogs look a lot better! Part of it is just numbers. Last year we were in every gave at halftime, then got thumped in the second half. Feels like we actually have some depth now. That last Navy TD was against second string. Wish the second unit was better, but playing will get you there.

I'm not convinced yet, but am starting to think/hope Holgorsen is a good coach.

7. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Defense is better but the secondary has given up too many big plays. Run defense is stout and the pass rush has been good so far.

Offense has been more explosive this year, and DH has seemed to be more willing to open it up this year since he has more faith in the defensive depth this year.

The biggest negative has been the bonehead penalties if they clean that up they will upset a team or 2 down the stretch.

raining threes and lost_elephant like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

He is a very good coach. He's a great coach for UH-level.

He's also a madman, or used to be, keep an eye out.

9. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I don't think UH makes the next step from being mediocre to good until Tune is gone. He looks the part good size, strong arm, but he makes horrible decisions, and holds the ball too long at times, We haven't beat any team worth **** in any game he has started and I don't see it happening if he finishes this season out.

10. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Scratching my head about Holgerson being a great coach. I see the madman and would probably see it more if I watched a game in person. A great coach recruits, teaches, and inspires their players to be the best they can be. With all the new training facilities complete, a freshly renovated stadium, and a nice run of success under Herman, Holgerson was not left empty cupboards. Instead as evidenced by many of the players leaving the program it makes you question his leadership.

What s it that makes Holgerson a great coach? Maybe I am missing something. I really don't look forward to watching the games anymore. It seems to me that Holgerson has transformed our program from outstanding to mediocre.

11. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't forget there was a coach between Herman and Holgrerson.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I see flashes of what we should be. But they're infrequent and often spaced between some egregiously undisciplined and sloppy play.

I want to be patient here, but 2019 was the year for Dana to flush the turds and start building his own team.

Giving him a mulligan in 2020 seems unfair. The season is salvageable, but 2021 better be a breakout year at this rate.

13. Poloshirtbandit

Applewhite's recruiting class was very meh.

raining threes likes this.
  14. Poloshirtbandit

15. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Again, why all the love for Holgerson? I remember quite a few on here felt the same way for quite a while about Applewhite. I am going to hold my nose and watch he game on Sat but on the road against the #6 team in the country and our best receiver out honestly I am not expecting much. So far, IMO Holgerson is just an older, grouchier version of Applewhite. Nothing he has brought to the program inspires me to look forward to watching the games.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

17. Poloshirtbandit

I'll give him a chance. With Applewhite, we were told he had a good relationship with Texas high school coaches, but his recruiting class was not good. Levine
    I'm willing to give him a couple years under more normal circumstances. As long as he doesn't lose to UTSA or Texas State he's ok in my book.

Pat likes this.
  18. Aware

Aware Member

the whole "redshirt" year **** from last season was dumb and not a good look for the school but this year gets a legit pass.

with the amount of games that they had cancelled, they never really had a shot at developing any identity. i'm not as high on him as i was before, but i'm ok with him.. plus, we're a basketball school again. applewhite was levine 2.0

i hope we can be competitive at cinci but i'm expecting a blowout.

19. GradyMcTracy

GradyMcTracy Member

BIG Game on National TV!
    vs #6 and its only CIN -12.5, I'll take it, Coogs can get up for big games and we're looking pretty good this year.
    LETS GOO COOGS! \m/

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Just get ready for the draft.