1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[curious] anyone moving out of the country if Trump wins again?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TWS1986, Nov 3, 2020.

?

Would you leave the country if Trump is elected for a 2nd term?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    65.9%
  3. Maybe

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  4. Maybe, maybe no

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. CCorn

CCorn Member

But he still plans on running for another term after this one....

RayRay10 and Ubiquitin like this.
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

That is not how it works. This president isn't the one trying to invent new rules abolishing the electoral college and packing the courts. Yes, he is trying to reform the criminal justice system, but that is a bipartisan objective.

3. malakas

malakas Member

yeah ok..
    I don't put anything past Trump. Including becoming a dictator and starting a nuclear war.

The only good thing about him is that he is old and should bite the dust soon if he hasn't suffered first from dementia.

Imagine if he was younger like Erdogan and Putin when they came to power and you could be looking into 20 years of Trump dictatorship.

Sanctity, Yung-T, RayRay10 and 3 others like this.
  4. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

I might start moving some assets out of the US. And also:

[​IMG]

Nook and TWS1986 like this.
  5. King1

King1 Contributing Member

No. Either candidate winning isn't going to really impact my family's life.

TWS1986 likes this.
  6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

He has shown he doesn't want war. The media portrays him as a dictator but that hasn't been the case. He hasn't been outrageous when compared to the last presidents. The media paints him in a terrible light for the most part. Biden has proven to be more racist.

cmoak1982 and ROXRAN like this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...192-americans-seeking-foreign-visas-in-record

Looks like more and more people are thinking of it.

I think any sane person has to consider it if the election is stolen.

Honestly, the signs then aren't good.

• Trump has threatened political opponents. He does it every day
    • Just recently he's threatened tofire Fauci and his 1776 education reform sounds like starting war against academics. Not a good sign.
    • He encourages his followers to attack others.
    • He's openly willing to cheat to win his election, to outright deny a rebuke of his presidency and stay in power.
    • The man struggles to denounce white supremacy...

All in all, Trump has only been interested in presiding over HIS base. That's not going to change. 4 more years means yes, a 7-2 Supreme Court, absolute power over the majority of the country all while COMPLETELY ignoring the Majority's wishes as if he were given a mandate.

I think people are naive in thinking America can't become a fascist state, that's what people always think of their governments until they do...then it's too late to turn back. I think 4 more years gives Trump and this corrupt version of the GOP 4 years to completely rig the system. Trump might not run for a 3rd term, but one of his children will, and with 4 years of more court-packing, a 7-2 conservative SCOTUS that will ignore voter suppression...I do believe we'll head straight to that, a fascist one party state.

And all the people that warned of it will be saying "I told you so." in another language and in another country.

TWS1986 and RayRay10 like this.
  8. AstrosRockets1818

I would love to see all liberals move out after Trump dominates tonight.

Question tho. Y’all always talk about moving to Canada. Why not Mexico? Is there a problem with Mexico? Racist liberals

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Canada currently has closed its borders with the USA, since we suck so bad at covid. I do not blame Canada for such clear thinking.

TWS1986, Yung-T and RayRay10 like this.
  10. No Worries

I gather if Biden wins that you will move out instead.

Just curious.

Yung-T and RayRay10 like this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

"Hey, *******.... I ordered a large fry, not a small....... now go get me a large fry before I talk to your manager.... I know you need this job, child support doesn't pay itself."

TWS1986, JayGoogle, Yung-T and 2 others like this.
  12. AstrosRockets1818

half the stuff you predict sports wise is wrong... same will be true tonight douche

Pistol Pete likes this.
  13. AstrosRockets1818

no l’ll go to work tomorrow and business as usual. Unlike if Trump wins all your friends will be burning cities

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Im out regardless, but hope America gets better for our family, friends, and all the American people in general.

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They speak the same language in Canada, not so much in Mexico.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. No Worries

You are deluded. But you be you.

JayGoogle and RayRay10 like this.
  17. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

I won't move out but I'll be looking into getting dual citizenship with my parents birth country. Ideally I won't have to escape this country but sad that I have to consider it responsible planning.

JayGoogle and RayRay10 like this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

A prime example of why the "Shy Trump Voter" theory has been a myth all along.

These people LOVE to show their 'patriotism' and it's funny how many of them have come down to the DnD to show their support for their dear leader.

The closer and closer we get to election the louder these people get.

TWS1986, Ubiquitin and RayRay10 like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yep, if Trump wins, he'll be (among) the first presidents to have survived with an overall job approval rating of less than 45%. I tried digging up any new bits about Berlusconi since he's still the corrupt sumbitch Trump is most similar to and found this.

This is not a one and done. Trumpism is a shitstain no one wants to clean up.

International Patterns Show Why Trump Is So Hard to Beat

Many opponents of Donald Trump look upon their country in shame. What does it say about the United States that someone like Trump could not only win a presidential election, but also retain the support of so many Americans despite his evident failings—including his bungled response to the pandemic and his unwillingness to promise that he will accept the outcome of the election?

I feel like that too when I come across yet another callous or racist statement by the president. But as a political scientist who studies the rise of authoritarian populists around the world, I know that Trump’s enduring appeal is closer to the rule than the exception.

Read: The pandemic isn’t a death knell for populism

In recent years, populists—politicians who rail against political elites and refuse to acknowledge limits on the legitimate exercise of their powers—have conquered the highest office in democratic countries around the world, including Narendra Modi in India, Jair Bolsonaro in Brazil, and Rodrigo Duterte in the Philippines. The appeal of all three has proved surprisingly resilient. Modi resoundingly won a second term. Bolsonaro, who is still in his first term, is favored to win again in most polls. And while Duterte is ineligible to run for reelection, he has been much more popular than his predecessors.

The United States is not unique in tolerating a populist president for so long. But it might prove itself exceptional in November: If polls prove accurate, America will be among the rare major democracies in recent memory to throw a populist out of office at the end of his first term.

When Trump was first elected, many of his opponents fantasized that he would leave office long before his term was up. Perhaps he would get bored of his political responsibilities. Perhaps he would be impeached. Or perhaps he would be sent to jail. Whatever the precise form of his demise, a hundred op-eds assured us, this turbulence couldn’t possibly last four full years.

This wishful thinking is typical among opponents of authoritarian populists. But populist presidents and prime ministers, on average, stay in office twice as long as nonpopulist ones: six and a half years compared with three.

As Jordan Kyle and I have shown, this discrepancy becomes especially striking when you examine governments that have been in office for more than 10 years. A populist president or prime minister is five times as likely to remain in office after a decade as a nonpopulist one.

We also found few examples of populists who lost power after just one term. As countries such as Hungary and Turkey demonstrate, voters tend not to recognize their mistake until populist leaders have done serious damage to democratic institutions.

As we approach an election in which democracy is on the ballot in the United States, the enduring popularity of populists elsewhere should serve as an urgent warning.

Even when many pundits have long since counted them out, populists have tended to win reelection. And though many polls show Joe Biden ahead, the most sophisticated models still give Trump a one in five chance of winning. Given what is on the line, those odds are far from comforting.

The international context, moreover, also shows that those few populists who don’t get reelected for a second term tend to retain a significant and damaging presence in their country’s politics. Silvio Berlusconi, for example, first became Italy’s prime minister in 1994. He lost his governing majority within months, then quickly recovered, dominating Italian politics for the next two decades. Poland's Jarosław Kaczyński became prime minister in 2006. He lost power in 2007 and remained in opposition for the following decade. But his party regained power in 2015, and has been subverting the country’s democratic institutions ever since.

Although worries about both the U.S. election and its aftermath are rational, the primary lesson I take from the international context is an inspiring one. After four years in which it felt extremely hard for many Americans to be proud of our country, we might soon defy global trends by throwing a populist out of office at the first available opportunity. And if we do manage to turn Trump into a one-term president, we can lead the international fight against the rising forces of illiberalism.​

20. AstrosRockets1818

You nervous Jay?

Corrosion likes this.