1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

If the price for Springer, based on MLBTR, is 5/125, I'm sure the Astros will offer that. They can probably add a little more as a make good for the service time manipulation and pay it out as deferred money down the line. Not saying he would take it, but it would be a competitive offer.

desihooper, lw17 and everyday eddie like this.
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Did we actually sign pedro leon? How far away is he?

raining threes likes this.
  3. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

From what I’ve read, the international signing period was pushed back to January with an agreement in place

4. Screaming Fist

It's unclear to me how much of an upgrade JBJ would be over Straw. Their offensive projections really aren't that far apart and I think he would be a solidly above average CF (his lackluster UZR is likely SSS noise). Is that worth the additional AAV JBJ would cost? Why not spend that elsewhere if you're not going for a bigger signing than JBJ?

5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I do not understand the Myles Straw love in this forum. He's not a future starting CF. He's got literally one tool, and his speed hasn't even translated into amazing defense or baserunning (above average, sure). He's fine as a bench player, but there's no way his terrible bat should be in any lineup. JBJ is a career 94 OPS+ (slightly below average), while Straw is a 75 (awful).

I'm not saying the Astros have to go after JBJ, but he's at least a competent bat and a good glove. And as a lefty, he'd fit in with a team that might be losing two out of its three lefty bats in the lineup.

6. Nook

Nook Member

MLBTR has Springer getting 5/125 this off season......... but they have guys like Charlie Morton getting 8 million ..... Brantley 2/28..... Bradley 2/16 ..... Hand 2/14.... Melancon 4 million....... Minor 5 million.

MLBTR has usually been fairly accurate, and I agree with them that the top 5 or so guys will still get big money, but guys under than will not.

Theoretically the Astros could get ......... Morton/Bradley/Hand/Archer for the cost of one year of Springer....... That doesn't include going budget shopping for guys like Brantley (2/28) or Profar (7) and others....

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Lets keep in mind that if Reddick, Springer and Brantley are all gone, that is our entire starting outfield. While a JBJ signing may put him in center, we are still 2 guys down. While Tucker will occupy one of those, we still need depth and need backup OF's.

So my guess is, even if we sign JBJ, we will have to sign at least 1 more OF after him. And who that turns out to be will probably determine where Straw fits into things.

8. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know that I would go with JBJ, but I can say that with Bradley you get a guy coming off a season with an OPS over .800 and 3 of the past 6 seasons he has had an OPS north of .800.... he had a terrible start to his career and that weighs down his overall numbers some what.

He does hit better at home for his career, and there are questions if that would hurt him going to MMP.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

It will be interesting to see what the going rate will be for those 2nd tier options and who will be scooping them up.

AznH-TownFan and Nook like this.
  10. Dalton Pence

Dalton Pence Member

I love Springer, but I would be ecstatic if we were able to get those four and Brantley. It’s basically a downgrade in center, but you’re adding a solid starter, top reliever, and a serviceable starter when he’s on

11. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

JBJ is silly given the cost to acquire, hitting production, and the open spots on this team / available budget. If you are going for JBJ, I think at that point you spend more and get Springer and say we're going to have to overspend going forward. If you are being cost-conscious about Springer and thinking aobut how to address team needs, don't overpay a below average hitter like JBJ. I think his name / a couple of hot streaks / Boston status inflate his price more than they should.

Don't get me wrong--he's an amazing defender at a premium position. I'd say pay if this was the '15 team or '17 or '18 if the missing piece was a defender in CF that could fit bottom of the order. But that's not where we're at.

everyday eddie likes this.
  12. raining threes

If this happened would love to get Brantley back (Love the guy) add in CFM and Hand. Then look around at trading for another young OF bat in trade.

Nook likes this.
  13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Never understood the JBJ love affair. For cost vs production, just give me Jakey back.

msn and kaleidosky like this.
  14. Fantasma Negro

I miss Jake's glove but he's as bad as Reddick at the plate

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Springer may cost $100 million more, and is doubtful to happen. I don't think JBJ gets extra for being in Boston unless Boston decides to try to re-sign him.

Options besides Springer and JBJ......Profar, Brett Gardner, Straw, Marisnick and even worse options.

Buck will have a hissy fit if Profar is signed to play center. Bat is probably more solid than JBJ, but not as much upside as JBJ. I'd prefer Profar in right if Astros sign him assuming his arm plays there.

Gardner is old. He's okay defensively. I would not want to see him patrolling CF during a Javier start, though he's still got an okay bat. Arm not good enough for RF if I recall correctly.

Straw...JBJ is better offensively and defensively.

Marisnick....defensively comparable, but no bat.

Assuming Springer doesn't re-sign, JBJ is the next best option in center.

16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Not that far off from bradley jr was the comparison I was trying to make.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

This is why I think Click will avoid free agency when addressing the outfield. The options just aren’t great. There are enough teams with extra OF prospects that he can find one he likes.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Franchy is probably the best available CF by trade unless you count Nimmo...but Nimmo really is just a bat out there that doesn't play the position.

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Yes, exactly this. Deal from pitching or international prospect depth to find someone. Maybe someone who can platoon with Jake as a FA, or Straw, or someone off the scrap heap like Michael Taylor (who could hit lefties well at one point if I remember right). Bring Kike Hernandez back?

I wonder if the Rockies might let Dahl go at reasonable price (probably not). Brett Phillips? Billy Hamilton on a minor league deal?

I think Jake/someone else (likely either a great defender/bad hitter, prospect, or reclamation project) platoon is still a great option. Assuming Dahl isn't available for something we can pay.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I suppose gone are the days where the batting order 1-9 looked formidable. Back to the days where 7-9 kill innings :(