1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020: Police Stories

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rocket River, Oct 30, 2020.

?

Have you ever called 911 or requested assistance from the Police?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Do you have a personal Police story?

I have never in my adult life initiated a police interaction.
    I cannot recall ever calling 911 or had to have the come to my aid.
    (I mean I have spoken to cops etc etc . . . chit chat type thing)

The last time I recall needed Police help was when my mom's car was stolen in the last century
    The result was it was found abandoned like 3 weeks later with hella damage.
    That was it.

This is not to bash cops but generally what has been your experience in a professional sense
    i.e. When you called them not when they came up on you (Tickets and cops rousting you are never happy)

1. Why did you call/request their assistance?
    2. What was the interaction like?
    3. What is the result?

Rocket River

Deckard, Buck Turgidson and TWS1986 like this.
  2. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I live in a community that has police nearby and they are known for being responsive. I’ve called when a neighbor found a bunch of liquid mar1juana left next to their house, and the cops came quickly and were great. We called them once when our daughter thought there was a car tailing her into our neighborhood and she didn’t want to pull into the driveway and get trapped. She drove to the police department office and that was the end of it, and the cops were extra nice. My experience is likely not representative of things because the police are super responsive and one of the reasons people choose to live here.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I've called when I saw a domestic dispute going down in the middle of a street. Woman tried to run out of the car, guy grabbed her threw her back in, and sped off. I proceeded to follow while on the phone with the cops. They eventually caught up to us in a parking lot as the guy was chasing the girl around the car.

Cops were cool. I felt like I made a difference. Oh, and their three year old was watching me as we were driving down the road (meaning he wasn't buckled).

Another time, I called 911 with a road rage incident in the snow. Guy tried to fight we on the interstate. Guy sped off, they said they'd try to find him. Doubt they did.

Another time, I called 911 because I saw who I thought was an escape convict (who ended up replacing Warren Jeffs on the Top 10 most wanted list). Still pretty sure it was him. Almost positive. It was 2 in the morning. He was hanging out by a cemetery, waiting for a ride. I don't think they believed me and they probably never looked for him. Sadly, he shot two of their own, killing one, a few months later.

I think those are the only times I've called them. Had them called on me (I guess you could say) twice, with mixed results. I've posted about it here before (possibly about these other stores too, to be honest). Basically a cop tried to frame me for a hit and run (just damage to a car), and almost got away with it.

gatsby, FrontRunner and Rocket River like this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I got arrested this week actually. I beat down a guy I met in person from a message board named jiggyfly. It felt nice letting out some frustrations out on the poor guy.

bumbum09 and TWS1986 like this.
  5. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Was it because he was a Dodgers fan?

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Nice!

Thanks for the story.
    Happy to hear they good endings.

Rocket River

7. Buck Turgidson

Caught a crazy b!tch slashing my tires last Monday. First time I've ever had a problem with anyone in this town.

Have fuzzy license plate pic, so no real proof, they looked for her truck to no avail. If I ever see her around here again...

Kim likes this.
  8. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I've never had to call 911. I've had several close calls accidentally hitting the emergency call option from the lock screen, but never actually hit the right sequence to actually make the call. Until today. Was out getting some exercise, podcast cut out, pulled my phone out of my pocket and found it was making the call to emergency services. Cancelled it but not in time, got a call back about 30 seconds later and had to tell them it was an accidental pocket dial. :(

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I called my friend who is a cop when a classic car of mine was stolen. They recovered it after a high speed chase about 2 days later. It was totaled after that lulz.

10. CrazyJoeDavola

My first and only experience with police:

When i was in my teens, i got a fake ID so i could by alcohol for a party my friends and i were going to that evening. When I got to the store i got nervous and when it came time to checkout i thought the clerk was going to bust me. I started talking about hops like a ****ing idiot. Anyway she looked at my ID and then some dude slugged me out of nowhere and tried to rob the clerk. Of course, as my luck would have it, the cops showed up and questioned everyone there, including me. My friends who were waiting outside took off like a couple of p*****s. Anyway, turns out the cops had no clue my ID was fake. They even gave me props for being an organ donor. Not only did i get away with using the fake ID to buy all that alcohol, the cops even gave me a ride to the party. A couple of things happened along the way that were ****ing cool but I digress.

ROCKSS and htownrox1 like this.
  11. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Thread title is contrary to question in first post.

Is it ever or 2020?

I have stories from before 2020

12. conquistador#11

First experience had to be December 1995 listening to Steve Mcnair's rookie debut. You couldn't catch the game on TV, blocked out locally. My dad interrupts me that my cousins(21 and 11) had been pulled over. I assume my little cousin used the pay phone to call. My reaction was great I'm going to miss the rest of the game. Dad wanted me to go to translate. When we got there(close by) they were still questioning him. Cousin knew only a few words of English. He hadn't been in the Country for more than 2 years. We were trying to cross the street. I was like dad this is not a good idea but dad was worried for them. As we were approaching the cop, cop says stay back. Dad is telling me to tell them we're family. In 2020 we all get shot, Like in the "Good The Bad And The Weird" but the cop was extremely friendly about it. Cousin's stickers were expired.

I might have also called the cops when I was in 1st grade. Why would they tell you a phone number and expect you not to call it? My teen yr sister handled that situation. I had no interaction with them.

Another one, My compadre and I were throwing the foosball around when we get the " we will call the cops if you continue to play." This was Oak Forrest Aparments on Westview when it was hoodafied. The white lady really called the cops on us and accused us of "breaking" her window. Even a 12 yr old me, knew it was caused by a stray 9mm bullet. Cops were nice,threw the football with us. The landlord lady suggested we play in the park. My compadre says we don't like syringe needles. Man, I miss the early 90s.

Deckard likes this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Nothing recent. I've had to call an ambulance before, more than once, but not a cop. I had several interactions with Houston cops back in the 1960's and '70's, and have mentioned one or two of them here in the past, but that's not the thread topic. I didn't call them. You might say that they "called" me.

Good topic, by the way.

Xerobull likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I thought so
    I am finding alot of people don't call the cops
    more people have the cops called on them

Generally people can handle most of their business without cop involvement

"HOUSTON – As the city of Houston works to grow the number of police officers, manpower limitations continue to create challenges for a department that received 1.1 million 911 calls last year. Priority 1 calls are those involving an “imminent threat to life.” According to HPD records, the department received 28,321 of these calls in 2018."

"HPD officials would not comment on exactly how many officers are assigned to patrol, but Houston Police Officers Union president Joe Gamaldi said the department has between 2,100 and 2,200 officers tasked with responding to an average of more than 3,000 911 calls a day.Feb 18, 2019" - https://www.click2houston.com/news/...cials would not comment,3,000 911 calls a day.

Interesting to say the least

Rocket River

Deckard likes this.
  15. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Mostly just for car accidents. My most recent one apparently they don't give a **** anymore or they are spread too thin? About a week ago I called the cops to come out to an accident I was involved in, but they just told me to go to a police station. I filled out some lame ass Drivers Crash Report and that was it. Luckily the other driver admitted it was their fault. Couldn't count on the cops to say that. Grrr.

Rocket River likes this.
  16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Saw some cops loitering around a bowling alley parking lot recently. Told them to move along.

TWS1986 likes this.
  17. Roscoe Arbuckle

Thanks for reminding me. I just called West U PD because they have a PI report on me that pops up #6 on anyone who does a name search.

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Pretty dangerous to be throwing a foosball table around.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It seems people generally don't like to call the cops
    Don't really do it that often.

I wonder how any calls are repeat callers. . . .. people that just like to exert unearned or unnecessary authority

28,321 Life and Death Calls
    versus
    1.1 million total calls.

2.5% of all calls.

The rest is probably reports for car accidents, moving some late tenents out, after the fact crimes (reports for robberies or what ever where the criminal is long gone)
    Being a cop is probably pretty boring like 85% of the time.

Rocket River

20. Aware

Aware Member

once my little sister was being followed by some car on her way to the bus stop. called the cops and they had a patrol out for a few days. thats the only time, i think.

i came close to calling them when i caught some homeless guy breaking into my car. he was working on pulling out my stereo when i caught him. roughed him up a lil but decided to let him go. happened years ago and i probably would call the cops now but back then i was on that whole i'll handle my own business vibe.

TWS1986 likes this.