1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Gimme Morton, Hand, Zunino, Profar, and a trade for a corner OF prospect of Click’s choosing.

3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    DH Alvarez
    SS Correa
    RF Tucker
    1B Gurriel
    CF Profar
    LF Diaz
    C Maldonado
    Bench: Straw, Zunino, TBD, TBD
    Rotation: Morton, Greinke, McCullers, Valdez, Urquidy
    Bullpen: Pruitt, Smith, Taylor, Raley, Paredes, Javier, Pressly, Hand

Fiah and Htown Legend like this.
  2. awc713

awc713 Member

What’s the infatuation with Profar across this board? I haven’t followed him much since TEX when he was relatively a disappointment. Didn’t seem impressive, versatile, sure, but he’s a guy y'all want pegged into the OF for years to come?

Marteen likes this.
  3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He was once as highly touted as a prospect can possibly be. He rarely strikes out. He walks at a decent clip. He has 2 seasons with 20 HR in the majors. He can play every position except catcher and pitcher. He is still only 27.

Its not that I expect him to be a superstar, but in a market where money is tight, versatile high ceiling/high floor types have a lot of appeal.

raining threes, Nook, msn and 4 others like this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Devenski, Osuna, De Jong, and Garneau were outrighted and chose free agency. Looks like Houston will be in the market for a backup catcher.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Javier, Urquidy, Paredes, and Garcia like to throw their fastballs high in the zone which leads to a lot of flies. As Astros have a lot of fly ball pitchers, guys like Profar will likely be more valuable to the Astros than other teams.

Profar is probably going to sign dirt cheap. He's was good in the OF for Texas. Padres put him there full time, and he did very well out there running down balls in LF like an average CF. He's been hitting the ball well for 3 years now (had some bad luck in 2019).I prefer JBJ, but Profar is the same mold, but likely cheaper. I would put Profar in the class of FA that Reddick was when he signed with Houston (a little less proven, but more likely to have a great year).

Astros get a guy in CF that can run down some flies. I'll be happy. I prefer Springer to be written on the back, but for dirt cheap options...Profar may be the guy due to limited time in OF.

Nook, jim1961, awc713 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

upload_2020-10-30_16-39-4.png
    upload_2020-10-30_16-39-22.png

This is a comparison of hits (in gray, green dot is average starting point) allowed by Reddick and Profar. I prefer Profar's bat and range to Reddick's in RF. Profar doesn't have any web gem type plays. He just moves fast and is always slowing down to make everything look like easy catches by the time the camera switches to him.

#386 Joe Joe, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  7. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

No they have Stubbs. There’s no way they should look at spending on a catcher with four glaring needs. Plus Korey Lee is probably 1 or 2 years away.

8. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Add a third catcher at the deadline if they play a full season. Just a good cheap defensive catcher for a low level prospect

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Stubbs sucks. They will sign a catcher. There’s a handful of guys who will sign for about what Maldy signed for who should be really good. Avila, Castro, Zunino, Ramos, Chirinos, Flowers. Signing one of those guys won’t prevent them from addressing their other needs.

10. htownbball

htownbball Member

I want Kevin Pillar if Springer leaves. Has 20 home run pop and plays a very good CF

11. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This season was the first time in his career he had an OPS higher than .735.

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Damn, Kevin Goldstein was let go from Houstons front office. Seemed like a pretty cool guy.

13. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

I could see the Rays trying to trade Kiermaier, they have other guys who can play CF and Kiermaier makes $11m in 21 and $12m in 22 (team option in 23).

14. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Sports Illustrated had their top 50 free agents and best fit for each player.
    Only 2 players that were the best fit for the Astros were Springer and Jeremy Jeffress.

Bleacher Report predicted Mike Minor and Brantley.

#394 punkoholic, Oct 31, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  15. Nook

Nook Member

That was a big mistake. He was a huge part of the Astros success. He is really good at what he does and he knows it. Kevin wouldn’t agree to a larger travel schedule or to come to Houston far more often to meet with team officials. Luhnow was fine with that, but some were not happy about it. I also think because he was implicated in some of the investigation by MLB that he wasn’t deemed as essential to keep.

Someone forward thinking in the league will give him a job (if he even wants it), but he isn’t leaving DeKalb or his dogs or wife for a job.

Screaming Fist and RayRay10 like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

I don't have a ******* clue. He'd be a fine cheap bench guy.

Diaz-Profar-Tucker is not an MLB OF. Profar has never played CF, Diaz has never really played LF, I don't care if Tucker is Roberto Clemente in right, this is ludicrous talk.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Reading Baltimore’s offseason outlook on Mlbtr, thinking if Crane was willing, Chris Davis’ albatross contract could be used to repair the farm and fill holes:

Orioles get:
    RHP Luis Garcia
    LHP Cionel Perez

Astros get:
    LF Ryan Mountcastle
    LHP DL Hall
    RHP Grayson Rodriguez
    OF Yusniel Diaz
    1B Chris Davis (released)
    $20M

Astros get 3 former 1st round picks, one of which immediately becomes their everyday LF long term, plus another high ceiling OF prospect. Orioles shed Davis’ contract (saving $25M) and get 2 potential long term pitching prospect who are ready to contribute now.

18. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I would do it for less if we nabbed Chris Davis and would take Cobb aswell.
    Js.
    Davis would be cut asap.
    Mountcastle
    And Hall
    Plus Cobb and Davis

For
    GARCIA, PEREZ and two low level guys.
    Mountcastle is a corner stone guy. And he can play OF

19. Major

Major Member

We can't afford Springer or Brantley, but we'd pay $25MM for a player we release? That's going to be a hard sell for the fanbase, no matter what prospects come along in the deal.

20. Buck Turgidson

I see that the offseason prospecterbation has begun in earnest.

Win now. Do everything you can to win in '21/22/23 etc...