1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Silas next Rockets head coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

Agreed with this. It's not like Westbrook was a scrub from season start. In the bubble, he was dealing various injuries, covid, etc. With some rest, he should be back to an MVP level.

pr0wler and treyk3 like this.
  2. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Rather have D'Antoni and Morey. Hoping he is the next Nick Nurse.

Corrosion likes this.
  3. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

Thank god it wasn't Lucas. As much as I loved D'antoni, and he did a great job, his offense got a bit stale in the playoffs and teams were able to adjust. Glad to have a fresh face aboard, hopefully he can bring some new ideas to the table with our unique roster.

joshuaao, groovemachine and saleem like this.
  4. Juxtaposed Jolt

This is some weird shade you're trying to throw. Wood in 2015 was a bonafide scrub. Fast forward even 2 years later? Still putting up bad numbers. Something finally clicked these last two years, and he's suddenly not a scrub anymore.

joshuaao and D-rock like this.
  5. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

The problem with being projected at the MLE is that any team with cap space (or is willing to do an SnT) can offer just a dollar above that and instantly outbids almost all the competition. If that happens there's nothing more we can do to up the offer unless Detroit really wants Eric Gordon.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

I guess Rockets development coach not as good as Silas or Heat's Chris Quinn when it comes to getting young players ready on contending team.

Morey can only find the gems, someone else's job to actually develop these players.

Would include Deanthony Melton, Gary Clark and Bruno Caboclo as well.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Luckily we can get all three of those guys on the team next year without much trouble!

I say bring them all back and get Wood. Return of the undeveloped gems!

[​IMG]

BHannes2BHonest, LFE171 and D-rock like this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Pacers defense is similar to lakers, imo ... containing elements of Will Voigt's relatively new concept of peel switching, tagging the roll man, and x-out weakside switching the corners.

lot of communication, but really helps to have a rim protector.

#208 heypartner, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  9. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I’m not throwing shade at anyone. I’m simply saying that the Rockets under Morey’s leadership were very good at identifying young players with potential, but they were not patient enough to allow them to develop here. Once they finally developed, they became willing to pay expensive costs to reacquire them.

The point is contending teams shouldn’t be too hasty to give up on young players with potential. It’s tempting, but it hurts your organization in the long run. You need to find the right balance of present vs future to extend your competitive window.

D-rock likes this.
  10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I don’t know enough about the Rockets’ player development system to say. I just find it ironic that the Rockets were/are willing to do whatever it takes to reacquire two players they initially had in their organization.

In a lot of ways, it’s similar to a big club in soccer loaning young players out to smaller clubs to get consistent playing time, except in the NBA, you have to acquire the player back via trade or free agency.

D-rock likes this.
  11. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

MDA was overrated imo given his playoff burn outs, this is a good hire.

Dacamel likes this.
  12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I don't see it that way. I think the writing was on the wall when Tilman had to borrow from Alexander (!) to overspend by a good *billion* to buy the franchise. From there, the organization did not have the wherewithal to find a decent replacement for Ariza (until Covington), avoided spending the full MLE for several years and had to attach draft picks and assets to stay under the luxury tax and dicked around with Bzdelik, House and D'Antoni. Les imposed financial limits, but he never prevented Morey's front office and coaching staff from being fully resourced. Tilman has cut back in all of these areas. Morey no more "ran a game" than any other coach, player, or executive does when they move on to a situation they deem better for them.

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Could be a good hire but I'm weary of guys who are satisfied being a #2 for long periods of time.

20+ years as an assistant ?!!

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'd have preferred JVG... but as long as its not Lucas then i'm fine... lol

Dacamel likes this.
  15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

imo , also applied with MDA . Why invest in big guys given that when push comes to shove , MDA will always go small ?

We have to get some bigger guys . skill is important , but offensively Harden should make any big guy servicable ... then the question is how much good is your D ?

16. HP3

HP3 Member

He hasnt played at an MVP level for 3 years, just saying. Even during his hot stretch, he was not giving you MVP level production in terms of being a positive on the floor.

17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

You can’t just be “big” you have to be able to shoot for one and spread the floor. You need some kind of skill. Just having a big out there just cuts down on the room Harden has to operate unless they are skilled.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Congrats Stephen!

There is work ahead of you.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, I might be wrong but the gist of this bubble experience is to integrate front court help.

Let's diversify the Offense, we shouldn't be relying on his speedy layups that much IMO.

20. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

How long before he starts drinking during timeouts like Rudy T did?