1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Can we put a fork into the "it's china's fault" and "it's not Tilman's fault" takes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by napalm06, Oct 28, 2020.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If China was the reason Morey was fired - it's reasonable to assume that the rest of the league wouldn't be keen to have him back.

If Morey was really just 'stepping away from the game', he wouldn't already be in contract negotations.

If Morey was at fault for ruining the team, he wouldn't be getting calls within hours of his departure.

This was all very transparent. I hope even the Tilman truthers are processing this information.

EDIT: I wasn't clear in this OP. I think "the China incident" and sponsorships played a role. But I don't think China itself directly pushed Morey out of the Rockets and that's why players are being quiet about it, etc. This pretty much resolves that line of thinking.

#1 napalm06, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    s3ts, Ramo$e, Richie_Rich and 18 others like this.
  2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

People want to buy into conspiracy theories. Look at the world.

The truth is clear and it's in the open. Quit looking for monsters under your bed, they are right in front of your ****ing face.

split41, amaru, HP3 and 3 others like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

cf's comes up with some of the most silly theories. That are utterly stupid.

anyone with a decent brain can dissect what's really going on with the rockets orgnization

D-rock, HP3, Reeko and 2 others like this.
  4. Josh Smith

Josh Smith Member

Tilman sucks

Things were better with Les

Clutch City1993 and Jayzers_100 like this.
  5. TheSource

TheSource Member

Dark times ahead for the rockets

6. IBTL

IBTL Member

they could get hinkie and a good coach.
    make some good moves and still be a thorn. the issue is that even with improvements in coach..gm..roster ..the lakers still win. and of course now you will have all these free agents going to la.
    so the issue isnt as much dark as that the light isnt much better than wcf.

you can say same for any other team including philly and i dont see the lakers losing next year. in that sense it almost doesnt matter what you do..it will be curious and if we let harden go to philly for a bag of beans i will be done with rockets until forseeable future.

tilman is what many of us thought. we have eaten at landrys and see the boarded up joes crab shack

7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

No team in the league had Chinese sponsorships like the Houston Rockets did. They lost all of those.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Clucth...this is a nightmare.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If there was a list of the "world leaders" most sensitive to criticism of any kind, Xi would certainly be in the top 5. He has a lot of competition.

daywalker02 and HP3 like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

People truly believed it was because of China? Lol, really? Morey wasn’t with the fckery and decided to leave.

YOLO, D-rock and HP3 like this.
  11. napalm06

100%. But are you of the opinion that Morey was fired parted with for that reason? Sort of a 'doubling down on sunk costs' type of decision making, if true.

I'm of the opinion that the China thing was a black mark and a source of irritation between Morey and Tilman but that it was the decreasing freedom of analytical decision making (culminating in the Westbrook trade) that probably took out whatever joy was left for him.

DonkeyMagic and HP3 like this.
  12. napalm06

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

This x 1000.

Morey and the Rockets parted ways because of his tweet regarding the issues in China. If TF did it when it came up, it would not only go against SIlver's position but also draw backfire from fans/others. If they announced this is the actual reason when Morey left, they would still get backfire. The safest way was to for him to "step down." The idea that the rest of the league had an issue with what Morey said and wouldn't fire him back is absurd because the literal NBA commissioner supported him.

At the end of the day, TF is not a good owner. It really just comes down to that, imho.

14. napalm06

This makes sense; but then it doesn't. But I guess that would fit Tilman's M.O.

I should be clear that I am in no way defending the medieval thought police culture that is China. I just think it was more Morey's decision.

solodolo11 likes this.
  15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It could be that the Rockets and Morey decided to part ways, and the relationship between China and the Rockets was a factor. That doesn't mean that another team, less dependent on China sponsorships, wouldn't still want Morey.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Sad, but true.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

covid losses and new debt had more affect on Tilman ... the bigger effect on spending can't be ignored.

And from Morey's eyes, no corporate issues would matter, if he sought better Basketball opportunities
    ... as we see in his Twitter profile

[​IMG]

daywalker02 and D-rock like this.
  18. Handles

Handles Member

The two are very much related. Tilman relies on China money. He needs the China money.

They're both at fault and so is Morey. Though if you ask me, Morey is better off for escaping Tilman's org. He got to stand up for what he believed in and he's still employed with the NBA. I'm excited to see what he does in Philly.

napalm06 and D-rock like this.
  19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Tilman is broke he needs that China money badly. Morey stepping down could be a result of both China and Morey not wanting to deal with Tilman.

s3ts and napalm06 like this.
  20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

many of the stories were about the NBA playing a part in forcing him out. Those have been squashed for sure, now that he was immediately called and hired; unless we are going to further splash around in the speculative ponds of opine-ville saying that NBA and China could have made a deal that Morey only needs to be fired from the Rockets, yet can still get another, even more prominent, position.

And those last drippings of speculation go down the drain if China sanctions the Sixers now.

D-rock likes this.