1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Philly in advanced talks to hire Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um....they wait til next week to sign a contract. LOL. They will owe the Rockets nothing.

D-rock likes this.
  2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Any owner with a brain would have not let that happen.

mikol13, Jontro and D-rock like this.
  3. jjc1

jjc1 Member

I think Tillman is happy someone is paying Morey for the next 5 years instead of him. Morey was not going to "step down" and leave that money on the table. I am sure Morey got an offer from Philly after the season ended and Tilly is happy to let him walk as long as he doesn't have to pay Morey for the remaining contract.

4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

man i liked d'antoni. laid back, good system, seemed to keep the team in order and could adapt to the changes on the fly that morey made.

i really liked morey. always innovative, good system, rarely made bad moves.

now they're both gone.

i wonder how morey works with rivers. d'antoni seemed down for the system as is, but also just seems easy going and open to new ideas. but rivers seems to generally think he's the smartest person in any room and has more clout. wonder if they will work as well together. throw in the weird roster, bad cap management, and brand being there and this will be weird.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  5. Fantasma Negro

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Nothing I posted was contradictory. Daryl Morey was a very good GM (top three or top five), but he had flaws that held the Rockets back at times. He did not understand how to value team chemistry in his analytics model, and his loyalty to analytics is why the Rockets never adapted their offense in the playoffs, even if Harden wasn’t getting his usual number of free throws or the Rockets were ice cold from the three-point line.

Morey’s strength was extracting the best possible value in trades when he wasn’t handcuffed by his owner. That ability enabled him to get James Harden, the second best player in franchise history. However, he had plenty of missteps, too. (Signing Ryan Anderson)

#206 DVauthrin, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    Ramo$e likes this.
  7. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

And the truly messed up part is Tilman was using code speak to say he knew it was happening. He kept saying Morey would go back East. How freaking crazy. He ran off great intellectual talent because he thinks he knows more about hiring a coach than Morey.

D-rock, Ramo$e and HP3 like this.
  8. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

And makes Biden look competent

Downtown Sniper, slothy420 and D-rock like this.
  9. macan

macan Member

Morey found a job before we could find a coach...
    what a complete bs summer we are having so far..

10. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Go forth and do well Morey. I think him as a GM and Doc as a coach to take in all the analytics but still say midrange is still okay, will do that franchise well.

I still wanted Morey to go the Knicks and completely rebuild that org and prove that he could do it with a **** owner, just one that was willing to spend.

Jontro, Ramo$e and HP3 like this.
  11. Ankich

Ankich Member

Dolan spends but he still micromanages, and I'll bet that's what rubbed Morey the wrong way here more than anything else. Morey can win on a budget, that's the whole point of his brand of analytics, but he has to be calling the shots.

D-rock likes this.
  12. opticon

opticon Member

Just WOW. This news says so much about how Tilman is running the Rockets. I thought for sure Morey was gone because of China pressure. Turns out it's just because Tilman is a horrible meddling boss. Philly has wanted Morey for a while but he shut them down, I guess the grass in Philly looks way better now.

JoeBarelyCares and D-rock like this.
  13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Tilman couldve traded him and at least gotten something back. Nope. Lets just let him walk and let my entitled ass son run the show.

Jontro and D-rock like this.
  14. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i mean it's possible, if not likely, it was mutual. tilman probably didn't want morey around making $8M a year and costing him china money. morey didn't wanna work for tilman. if tilman wanted a non-compete or a trade, i'm sure morey would've just continued collecting money from tilman.

Ankich likes this.
  15. opticon

opticon Member

Elton is a smart guy and a hard worker. He will admitietly start learning from Morey.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Damn.

Was hoping Rockets steal Shane from Heat.

The rich keep getting richer while Tilly's cheap ass keeps getting cheaper.

Enjoy the Patrick Fertita era Clutchfans.

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Not surprising.

Morey didn’t want to work for Tilman.

Tilman figures he can pay a “Morey clone” for a fraction of the price.

Morey wins. Tilman wins. Rockets fans lose.

And so many of us told all the ani Morey people that he would get a NBA job as soon as he wanted one. He’s that good.

slothy420 and D-rock like this.
  18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I guess Chinese folks in China wont see any Sixer games for the foreseeable future. But maybe the Rockets will be off their ban list.

19. Ankich

Ankich Member

Exactly. Tilman didn't want Morey around and if he gets hired somewhere else that's just buyout money he doesn't have to pay. He wants to be surrounded with a bunch of cheap yes-men not some MIT nerd blabbing about player efficiency ratings.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Morey saw a sinking ship and boarded another before the lower decks were completely flooded. Who would do other wise?