1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Service time manipulation and likely what he and his agent consider lowball offers combined with the sign stealing scandal... if I had to guess

KePoW and raining threes like this.
  2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In hindsight, the service time manipulations inadvertently created the worst case scenario for Springer in being a FA during a pandemic year.

Had they called him up a year earlier, and he was a FA after last season, far better chance of him getting an extension after 2018 or possibly the Astros working something out after 2019.

Alex Gordon did end up signing with the Royals... can’t say it really worked out for the Royals, but at least they were able to get it done. Then again the Royals weren’t also paying a Verlander, Greinke, Altuve and soon to be paid Bregman.

3. Nook

Nook Member

From someone that works in the organization.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

He has waited for an extension offer for over a year did not get one. This really upset him.

He has complained internally about how he has been treated by fans outside of Houston and how difficult it is.

I don’t know how much the service time issue still bothers him as I haven’t heard anything about that in awhile. Having said that I would speculate at 31 he is aware this is his chance at a money grab.

There are money issues with the Astros and COVID and a GM that wants to retain flexibility financially.

BMoney, RayRay10 and raining threes like this.
  5. elrond

elrond Member

Sigh, reading the last few pages, really does seem like Springer is gone. Just seem to be too many valid reasons. Seems like the only reason why he would stay would depend on how much he likes the camaraderie with his teammates, and the continued postseason success. Of course if he goes to a team like the Yanks/Sox, etc. probably a moot point as well.

On a random tangent, I always have a hard time deciding whether or not to 'like' a post that makes a good point, but is about something that doesn't makes me happy :p

travfrancis, whiskeyred, lw17 and 3 others like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

I can tell you where they come from.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  7. conquistador#11

If Springer is gone like many are here say,
    then my priorities have changed:
    1. Hire Daniela to VP of marketing. (She wants to be an Astro for life. What the wife wants she always gets)
    2. Einstein Visa for Framber's shrink, she now works for the Stros full time.
    3. Sign Brantley
    4. Sign Tyler Bauer, whatever it takes.

(2 years from now, Greinke, Verlander and Yuli come off the books)

Whatever route the Astros take, they will still be one of the top teams.
    Heir Yordan is coming back, y'all.

raining threes likes this.
  8. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

This is not what Boston did

Htown Legend likes this.
  9. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

It’s just hard for me to imagine Springer is going to get the contract he’s looking for. Every single team in baseball took major losses financially this year. He’s 31 years old. At the same time, he’s going to take the best offer available to him. He and Bauer both could be waiting up until January/ February looking for a team to increase their offers. If he truly wants out- it is what it is. Crane spoke about how important George is to this franchise but no one imagined what Covid would do to the entire sports world financially. I like the idea of Click wanting to maintain payroll flexibility and him having a full offseason to plug major holes around our remaining SOLID core. Keep in mind we offered Cole a very competitive offer last season. Ultimately, he was going to the Yankees regardless. With the re-emergence of Altuve in the playoffs, the return of Yordan, the breakouts of Kyle Tucker, Framber, Javier, and Paredes, I’m optimistic about the future. Click has a tall task in front of him but he’s been preparing for this offseason since the moment he was announced as the GM. By opening day- “in Click we trust” will be a thing.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Probably an informed guess based on end of the season projections and watching Framber dominate. Steamer has Framber at 3.7 WAR in 2021 while regressing his BB% about three quarters of the way back to his career numbers. I'm guessing that despite Snake's protests, projections for Framber are either going to be on the high end or better than Fist's estimate. Framber's big improvement was in throwing strikes and his sample size is well past the point that people should be questioning whether it was real or just a fluke.

Edit: Framber is more likely an ace next year than he is to produce less than 3 WAR in a 162-game season without injuries.

#270 Joe Joe, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    raining threes likes this.
  11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I generally am for financial flexibility. I think too many teams sacrifice financial flexibility (i.e., ability to add great players with cash/take on money in trades when team is ready) before they are truly ready to compete for a championship. I think the Astros are at a point where financial flexibility can be sacrificed for the most part (i.e., need a little room for moves at deadline).

Though, I don't know if the Astros have much flexibility at the moment. 2019 was a great money maker. 2020..not so much. Furloughing low paid employees so that a free agent can get an extra million is not cool. I'm hoping that isn't the Astros.

12. Dalton Pence

Dalton Pence Member

Snell didn’t seem too happy with getting pulled last night...time for Mr. Click to give his buddies in Tampa a call ;)

13. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Just a note on #1, Daniela is Correa's wife not Springer's unless I misunderstood the point

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Correa is next up for extension with only 1 year left...so the point is if one gives up on Springer, move to the next target, Correa.

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My wish list:
    1. JBJ and Profar (or other average to above average bats that have a lot of range in the OF) added to the OF.
    2. Hendricks for the pen
    3. Osuna cut.
    4. Get a guy that can be a swing man between the rotation and bullpen.
    5. Health.
    6. Vaccine.
    7. Maybe another reliever.
    8. Correa extended.
    1,435,895. Don't extend Baker again.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I am anxiously awaiting items 9-1,435,894. :)

Nippystix and desihooper like this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Those are the things that will actually happen good for the Stros, stupid things the Rangers, Angels, and Mariners do, and A's being really cheap that matter more than the manager. Not sure if I left enough room for stupid Ranger moves.

#277 Joe Joe, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    bobrek likes this.
  18. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I think - and hope - that the reason won't go full-in on signing Springer, is to have all the flexibility to sign Correa to an healthy extension.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I would guess Click would work to extend Alvarez, Tucker, Valdez, and maybe Urquidy rather than Correa. Click thinks long term and surplus value and unless Correa takes a big hometown discount I will be surprised if Correa gets extended.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While Click has an eye on the future, I think he is quite capable of doing multiple things at the same time such that it isn't mutually exclusive to which players he tries to extend. Based on timing, Correa is more likely to be willing to discuss an extension than Alvarez and Tucker. If Alvarez and Tucker are willing to talk extension, Click should discuss.

I suspect Correa doesn't get extended because it will be a lot of money tied to one player with back problems...and I'm not sure Crane has much money he's willing to spend until there is a vaccine. Even then, doubtful.

No Worries likes this.