1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Being locked in the Bubble took a toll on NBA players

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GreatOne1978, Oct 14, 2020.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I didn’t read the article but in general it is ok for NBA players to complain. They are still people. I’ll b**** to my wife if traffic makes me get home 8 minutes later. It doesn’t mean I thought it was comparable to getting Covid. So yeah I bet staying locked in a hotel for a couple months kind of sucks. It’s ok to b**** a little about that so long as you keep perspective when doing it.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

“It’s probably been the most challenging thing I’ve ever done as far as a professional". Stuck in a luxury resort with his besties for 2 1/2 months making millions of dollars is 'the most challenging thing' in his career.

And some of you actually think this guy is the GOAT.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Do you think he is keeping perspective?

As for the wife story, I'm pretty sure if she heard that and also found out you won $100,000 listening to the radio while you were stuck in traffic would make complaining about it ring a little hollow to her. :)

4. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

People think being a pro athlete is easy lol...

5. PhiSlammaJamma

The Rockets bought the eazy pass. It's faster and cheaper.

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

Tell us where he's wrong. Seriously. Point out the inaccuracy in his statement.

That's like a neurosurgeon saying "man, that 12 hour surgery to repair a brain aneurysm was the hardest thing I've done as a professional" and you challenging that statement by saying "well, you make like $600k a year, so quit b****ing."

LeBron isn't saying other people have it easier than he did. He's also putting it in the context of himself only, comparing the bubble to other things he's done in his career.

Being mad about what LeBron said in this particular instance, is just so weird.

JayGoogle likes this.
  7. Juxtaposed Jolt

All regular people see is the money earned and the lavish lifestyle. They don't take into account that there's about 450 or so of these "professional player in the NBA" jobs.

JayGoogle likes this.
  8. Space Ghost

I dont think Jordan or Kobe would be stupid enough to make that comment. Im pretty sure Jordan and Kobe both have had more challenging situations in their career than to sit in a luxury resort for 10 weeks. Maybe this has legit been LeBrons most challenging moment, which if true, is really sad.

If LeBron had any significant intelligence, he would have said something along the lines that that it not easy to be locked up for him and all the players and left it at that. Instead he came across as a self centered spoiled b**** bemoaning this is the worst thing that has ever happened in his career. Nobody is forcing him to stay and he certainly isn't out of a job if he left.

And I am not sure why you're comparing a doctor saving a life to some tool whos only existence is to entertain, not to mention the lowest rated finals in decades.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Stuff like this is low man. That's a full grown man with a wife and kids and you think he exists only to entertain you. With that perspective, no wonder you find something wrong with his comment.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Like I posted earlier, the title is misleading. "The hardest thing as a professional" is not the same as "taking a toll." Taking a toll usually means a very negative thing that has been done to you due to extremely difficult circumstances, like a healthcare professional took a toll working overtime caring for the COVID patients. A surgeon doing a 12-hour surgery might be professionally challenging but not taking a toll on him. If he was doing that for 7 days straight because the hospital is overwhelmed by disasters, then it would be more fit to say it took a toll on him physically and emotionally.

We cannot imagine living in a resort hotel, being able to do all those recreational things, and playing basketball making millions of dollars as taking a toll to someone who is emotionally healthy.

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not mad. People complain. I mean, if a reporter asked a question, they are going to answer it truthfully. Nothing wrong with that. These guys are spoiled as well, they've had money to do whatever the hell they want to do, so it's natural that something like the bubble would present some challenges to their mental well being. After all, money can't buy spending time with your family and friends if rules were restricting it. It's not as if all these guys are BFFs and most just have work colleague relationships.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

One, LeBron is talking about his own experiences as a professional NBA player. Not Kobe's experiences. Not Jordan's. His own. There's no need to bring up Jordan or Kobe. I'm willing to bet that the BLM movement and Covid played a part in his experiences, as well.

Two, I'm not comparing the roles of a doctor and a basketball player. I'm just saying, just because a person makes a lot of money, that doesn't mean we should immediately dismiss their opinions of hardship.

Three, all the parts from your comment I bolded? You're calling this person a spoiled, self-centered low IQ b**** who exists solely to entertain people. Let that marinate for a second. You seem overly angry about someone who has no impact on your life. It's really weird.

Four, if this is the worst thing that's happened to him in his career, that's actually a good thing. With NBA players, you might see problems with money, problems with family, problems with the law, etc. Even before they're out of the league. And iirc, he said it was the hardest thing he's had to endure - not the worst thing. Sometimes that's one and the same, sometimes it's not. In this case, I think it's not.

Five, going back to the "worst thing" topic - do you actually want him to have had a hard life or something? Why is it sad that LeBron hasn't gone through 'hardships?' You bring up Jordan and Kobe, so let's use those two as examples. Do you want him to be accused of rape like Kobe was, or have his mom murdered like Jordan's dad was murdered? These are both hardships. Does it make LeBron less of a man or something, that he hasn't endured these two particular instances?

I mean, I just don't get the animosity you have towards LeBron. I don't.

JayGoogle likes this.
  13. Space Ghost

You just compared spending 10 weeks inside a resort with your besties making millions to rape and murder. Someone needs a reality check.

FYI. I dont think this was LeBrons most challenging (or whatever word salad you want to use) time in his career. He is just a talented basketball diva.

14. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Probably at least one 3 hour workout a day, a team meeting, definitely need some massage or something to stay right, upholding a strict diet, maintaining a truly elite level of ability (hoping nothing ever happens like, hayward-ing your leg), under media and public scrutiny for a variety of reasons and oh yeah, you can't leave this hotel for 100 days where you are just seeing your coworkers and bosses like you normally see your family.

BuT tHe HoTeL iS nIcE

JayGoogle likes this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

There is a reason a lot of celebs and famous people have mental issues. It's a ton of pressure and oh yeah, everyone is evaluating your job. The regular joe isn't being scrutinized at his desk job every day, and being told his only reason to live is to work at that desk job, and his every word isn't being dissected. Nor is he expected to do anything but work.

Some people treat them more than human but that's all they are, human. Some people would be wise to remember that.

Dankstronaut likes this.
  16. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Wait til you see what soldiers have to go through on a daily basis when they're deployed.

Yawn.

Yeah sorry but when LeBron reminded us we're all suckas who aren't millionaires playing in the NBA, and have to wake up tomorrow morning and live the same lives we live, he reminded us he's not the average person.

17. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I saw Carl Landry eating breakfast one time. I left him alone because he was eating breakfast. I barely like the waiter to talk to me at breakfast lol...

Not to mention all the testing and stuff they were doing. Trying to be a symbol of hope and change with their platform...in a completely unprecedented event, basically an experiment to begin with... Hey idk if anyone noticed but might be the case that a lot of these fellows just abstained from sex for like 2 months. Sad bois are sad. You know what else? All but one team went to go do this **** and only one team got to win lol

Sounds like a barrel of laughs. Maniacal laughs but laughter nonetheless.

JayGoogle likes this.
  18. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

lol uh...

Dear left field, we've received your submission regarding the military in the middle of this examination of basketball players. As we are not sure of your point, we've decided instead to confirm your intended jab...indeed, Lebron James is a little above average.

Signed,
    Us

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Using this logic means you can't ever complain about anything.

Someone always has it rougher than you. Someone has it rougher than those soldiers, some woman who is born in a country where the only right she has is how many babies she can have and not even that. Where getting raped could mean death for her.

Someone always has it worse and someone always has it better. It doesn't invalidate any complaints.

20. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

For all the anglers that helped Lebron and the Lakers, the man still has some cold stone, 100% credit to him, moves. He's taught himself to slow down his heart and nerves and make shots that only the elite have made in the POs and Finals under enormous pressure. You can't hate him for that.