1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who inherits the Republican Party?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Oct 23, 2020.

1. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

This thread assumes Trumpism isn’t EXACTLY what the Republican Party is in 2020. I beg to differ. To wit, here’s link to summary of a book published in 2012 defending the Tea Party movement: https://www.loc.gov/item/2011040843/

“Foley sees the Tea Party as a movement of principles over politics. She identifies three "core principles" of American constitutional law that bind the decentralized, wide-ranging movement: limited government [second amendment], unapologetic U.S. sovereignty [America First], and constitutional originalism [White Nationalism].”

Trump’s genius is recognizing the dog whistle that was clearly embedded in the movement. Like all cults, the recruiting effort is masqueraded by a respectable front (fiscal conservatism, HA!), but once they lure you into the tent, the true colors come out.

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Fighting within the Democratic Party is business as usual, unfortunately. If it wasn't, Mr trump wouldn't be the occasional resident of the White House and Ms Clinton would be running for a second term. I'll add that I don't like seeing the assumptions some have that trump is going to lose. Everyone should assume that it'll be close and vote for Biden, come hell or high water. Like your life depended on it.

I don't think the republic can withstand another 4 years of this madman. Not without permanent damage to the fabric that holds the country together. I experienced the political and social upheaval of the 1960's that led to Nixon and eventually to Reagan in reaction. The divisiveness then, driven by the draft and the tragic lunacy of the Vietnam War, doesn't hold a candle to the national divisiveness I'm seeing today. A national divide deliberately encouraged not just by trump, but also by an extreme Republican majority in the Senate and a minority in the House complicit in every bit of it.

Those few who still see themselves as "moderate" Republicans meekly stay silent and vote the way McConnell wants them to vote. Even Mitt Romney has said he will vote for Barrett's confirmation. This as we see more and more information coming out that Barrett withheld from the Senate before and during her hearing. Information proving that this 48 year old judge, a judge of less than 3 years experience, is completely out of the mainstream of American society.

In fact, that Barrett is coming from the fringe with views on social issues that a large majority of Americans very much disagree with. Yet she is being rushed through literally days before the election, something without precedent, so she can spend the next several decades attempting to impose her extreme ideas on that majority. We have far more to worry about than future Democratic Party infighting. We will have 6-3 majority on the Supreme Court that doesn't reflect the will of the American people.

3. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Who inherits the Republican Party? Satan?

Deckard and T_Man like this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Speaking of divisions..
    https://thehill.com/homenews/media/...ham-i-dont-know-why-anyone-would-vote-for-him
    Lou Dobbs goes after Lindsey Graham: 'I don't know why anyone' would vote for him

Fox Business host Lou Dobbs on Friday went after Sen. Lindsey Graham (S.C.), asking why anyone would vote for the Republican lawmaker just weeks before his hotly contested election.

Dobbs lashed out at the Senate Judiciary Committee chairman for “not subpoenaing the left-wing heads of the censorships Twitter and Facebook until after the election.”

“I don’t know why anyone in the great state of South Carolina would ever vote for Lindsey Graham. It’s just outrageous,” Dobbs said. “This is the guy who keeps saying, ‘Stay tuned.’ He said he would get to the bottom of Obamagate with the Judiciary Committee, which has been a year and a half, actually longer, of absolute inert response to these pressing issues of our day.”

Dobbs noted how Graham, now one of President Trump’s most vocal supporters, was criticized by the then-Republican presidential candidate during the 2016 election.

Trump called Graham “one of the dumbest human beings I’ve ever seen” and said the senator, who was running against him at the time in the GOP primary, “is a nut job.”

“I believe that the president’s words about the senator then apply today,” Dobbs said.

“Graham has betrayed President Trump at almost every turn,” Dobbs pressed. “He has betrayed the American people and his oath of office. He’s done absolutely nothing to investigate Obamagate except to tell everyone, ‘Stay tuned,’ time and time again. Stay tuned. Senator Graham needs to be tuned out in South Carolina.”

The fierce condemnation comes after the Senate Judiciary Committee this week voted to subpoena the chief executives of Facebook and Twitter a week after both platforms limited the spread of a controversial article about Hunter Biden, Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden's son.

Conservatives have argued the social media platforms' actions are indicative of alleged anti-conservative bias.

The panel voted 12-0 to compel the testimony of Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey. The Democrats on the committee had boycotted the hearing over the Supreme Court nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett.

Graham had said he was considering holding the hearing in November, “which I think would be a great time to do it. See how the election went.”

Dobbs’s scathing segment went viral on social media, garnering more than 2 million views on Twitter.

It also attracted praise from the anti-Trump GOP group The Lincoln Project.

“The Lincoln Project rarely agrees with Lou Dobbs, but today we join in his sentiments that South Carolinians should not re-elect the spineless, do-nothing dead weight Senator Lindsey Graham,” the group wrote in a statement. “Lindsey Graham is a weak man with a weak character. While we hate to give Lou Dobbs any credibility, when he’s right, he’s right and should be commended for calling out Graham for being the pathetic swamp rat he is.”

The four-term senator is currently locked in a heated reelection battle against Democrat Jaime Harrison, who raked in more than $22 million in the first two weeks of October.

Recent polling shows a tight race in South Carolina. A survey from Morning Consult released on Thursday found Harrison leading Graham by a 2-point margin, while a poll from The New York Times and Siena College out last week showed Graham ahead by 6 points.

Dubious, Deckard and RayRay10 like this.
  5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The thing is, say they lose Texas? No amount of cheating or suppression can hide their fate. The Electoral college is the only reason they have the power they do, once that turns against them, there's nothing they can do but change their platform. It's harder to suppress votes when you don't have the local power to do so. It's harder to cheat when you can't force through your judges. It's harder to ignore the will of the people when you don't even have the power to do that. A dominant 2020 win by democrats can strip a lot of that power away, and if they lose big WHILE cheating, what does doubling down on it achieve?

If the polls are correct, they are going to get slaughtered and you can't get dismembered and go 'Tis but a scratch' and expect to win moving forward.

Sure, deep red states will continue to send radicals to congress and senate, but the power of these radicals will lessen. They might even vote for Don Jr. to win the primary, but he won't win the general.

RayRay10 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

At @Roscoe Arbuckle is a social dinosaur. It is as if he was frozen in the year 1995 and was recently thawed out.

I am always shocked how someone can be so oblivious to the world around them for such an extended period of time... then one day it gets awkward.

The world is changing, you either pay attention and adapt or you get left behind.

Dubious and RayRay10 like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Yes the way to express seething racism in 2020 for white men... under state ones accomplishments and qualifications while dismissing their ideas as foolish and not realistic.

It’s not as direct or satisfying as keeping women out of polling booths, arresting Mexicans, beating a homosexual to death or wrapping a dead black boy in chains and an engine block and depositing him in the bottom of a lake for smiling at a white woman... but it’s what they have left to work with.

mdrowe00, Dubious, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  9. cml750

cml750 Member

Bob there is a ton of "gaslighting" going on, there is no doubt about that, however we will disagree which side it is coming from. We do share something in common though. The anti-democracy rhetoric coming from the left has had me and mrs. cml750 involved in this election both financially and voluntarily like never before.

10. HROZ

HROZ Member

There's two main wings of the Republican party imo.
    Evangelical & QAnon.
    They'll fight over the next nominee.

The McCain's of the party don't really have much of a home anymore.

FrontRunner likes this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

B-Bob, RayRay10 and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  12. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This is what I never understand about the concept of those terrible blue states. Um where do you think the taxes and jobs are created? Red states are where the welfare goes.

Dubious, JayGoogle and Deckard like this.
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Republican party has gone full QAnon.

Even the right-wing posters here are coming around to being fans

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

If the Republicans lose Texas, I'm running down the street butt ass naked....

Losing Texas would send the ultimate message...

T_Man

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

"Anti-democracy?" I certainly respect your opinion, but I cannot understand why you would say such a thing and honestly find it more than a little insulting. Who is doing everything in their power to suppress the vote? It's perfectly obvious here in Texas. The Republican Party. It's obvious around the rest of the country, as well. There is no "voter fraud" worth mentioning. The vanishingly few instances come from both sides, not one. The trumpeting claims of "the danger of fraud" are an excuse for the Republican Party's attempt to prevent Americans from exercising that most precious right, our right to vote, the foundation of democracy.

Rest assured of one thing. We have sent more money to support Democratic candidates than we ever have before, and we are not through. We're considered to be at high risk from the virus, so while we can't do the amount of "hands on" volunteering we had intended to do before Covid-19 arrived to disrupt our lives (and the lives of everyone else), it hasn't affected our donations to the state and national Democratic campaigns.

We will outspend the two of you!
    ;-)

joshuaao, JayGoogle, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  16. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

The republican party is treating this election like an existential threat, and they're right, but not for the reasons they think.

They think it's an existential threat because if the democrats gain control of the executive branch and both houses of congress, they will be just as sh*tty stewards of democracy as they were. Merciless, power-hungry, hypocritical, ignoring or destroying democratic norms to cement power. And who knows? Maybe they'll be awful. But that's not why this election is an existential threat to the republican brand.

The cult of personality of Donald J Trump is the republican brand.

If Donald isn't on the ticket, what would happen to republican voter enthusiasm? We all know.

If Donald joined or created his own cable news network in direct competition with FOX, where would the viewers go? We all know.

With him removed from power, the republicans will have a canyon to fill.

joshuaao, Dubious and RayRay10 like this.
  17. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We've donated far more to multiple state campaigns and to the presidential campaign than ever before. My wife has taken a week off of work and is packing right now to leave for Nevada to help get out the vote. She's never volunteered for anything political before. I've done some political volunteering in the past, but never for a campaign. This year I've been working with Postcards to Voters. This is not a normal presidential election.

superfob, joshuaao, Dubious and 5 others like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

No you don't, and frankly nobody should.

19. Buck Turgidson

Well sure, this was laid out in no uncertain terms at the Convention when they declared their Party platform was "whatever he wants to do"

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm trying to be polite. Most of the guys in that crowd are a lot worse than he is. You're right, though. No, I don't respect his opinion. Not that one.

Lou Dobbs just might have cost Swamp Rat Graham his seat in the Senate. O revenge, thou art sweet indeed.

#140 Deckard, Oct 24, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    AleksandarN likes this.