1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Eyes of Texas Problem

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by don grahamleone, Oct 23, 2020.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The Eyes of Texas Problem

“Ye shall know the Truth and the Truth will set you free”.

This is the statement written on The Tower I walked by almost every time I stepped onto the campus at The University of Texas as a student. I believed it then and I believe it now. In fact, I believe it now more than ever.

What Starts Here, Changes The World. This is the slogan I’ve heard time and time again. And I believe it now more than ever. What starts with the University of Texas, changes the world.

I recently heard that ‘The Eyes of Texas’ song was a problem. When I heard that, my initial reaction was to think about whether that’s true or not. It was being said that ‘the eyes of texas’ was somehow a racist song and that was something I didn’t want to believe was true. The lyrics don’t seem to indicate this in any way. I didn’t want to believe it was a racist song because I abhor racism. But my belief, when in the face of Truth because of my education.. can be shaken. My belief IS shaken.

The word was getting around that Texas Longhorn football players were saying the song had racist overtones. Maybe they were undertones, it matters not but somehow racism and the song were linked. I still wanted that to be false because of how proudly I sang the song so many times in so many places I found myself. I no longer feel proud of this song and I no longer feel proud singing it. In fact, I plan on never singing the song ever again, the song that brought me so much joy. Why? Because it brings up deep sadness for my black brothers and black sisters who have dug deep and found out an answer of where it came from. No one should be forced to be reminded by a crowd of people that this was their ancestor’s Truth. Slavery and a history of Racism.

Over the years the players discovered that the eyes of texas is sung to the tune of ‘I’ve Been Working on the Railroad’ and they informed one another. They all know it now. I’ve always known that was the case. It wasn’t a secret. What I didn’t know was that ‘i’ve been working on the railroad’ was a song originally inspired by Robert E. Lee’s existence, the general of the Confederate Army. The students researched this. This is the general that fought in an attempt to continue the practice of Slavery. I abhor the idea of Slavery and I imagine you do too. Committing our fellow human to such an act as Slavery is and was inhumane and we’re all in a place where we know this to be a fundamental Truth of life. Nothing will ever change that. Slavery was wrong. Humanity will forever know that Slavery is wrong and no song, image or tradition is above that.

The students of The University of Texas have done their research. These kids aren’t stupid. They got into Texas just like we did, through hard work and being the top thinkers of this country and world. They did their research and they know that this tune was played by minstrel shows that traveled the country after Slavery ended and by doing this traveling show, they preached a white superiority to our fellow black citizens through song and show. They were doing this minstrel show in black-face. It’s the same tune that has been sung in Darrell K. Royal Memorial Stadium for decades.

The foundation of The University of Texas is the students. It’s not rich alumni that try to tell them how the world is with the sway of their money. The students at Texas are bigger than the money that goes into the University. The students are bigger than the buildings or the education. Each student that goes through and graduates knows this in their heart. They know that they'll become bigger than their education they've worked for. The students are the school, the school is and will always be the students.

The time to listen to the school is now. The school is the students. The players now are not staying on the field to listen to ‘the eyes of texas’ that pains their hearts, the students in the band refuse to play that song that causes pain. They, the students and student players, are speaking and they know that: What Starts Here, Changes the World. They know that: Ye Shall KNOW the Truth and the Truth Will Set You Free. Those fundamentals are bigger than alumni who want to keep tradition. We alumni are not as important as the students and they have spoken. Listen to them. Listen not just to the simple idea, but the Truths that surround those ideas. This is what makes Texas the best University in the country: the voice of the students. If you believe in who Texas is, back them. It’s just a song and it won’t hurt you to stop singing it. In fact, it very well might make you a better person.

Hook’em. Texas Fight. Texas Fight the good fight.

Follow the student’s lead.

(Anyone else backing the anti-Eyes movement?)

K mf G, REEKO_HTOWN and Major like this.
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Seems fine to me. Songs aren't important. This isn't choir it's football. Perspective.

In before a perfectly grown suburban adult that didn't go to UT comes in here slinging "CANCEL-CULTURE" - lulz.

UTSA2step likes this.
  3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

**** the eyes. All these dumb old white ride or die Eyes fans can't see how badly this is going to blow up in their faces. Like worse case scenario players up their feelings about it and talk about transfers and good high school black players say they are boycotting the school. I mean, how could so many smart people not see this coming from a mile away?

4. Buck Turgidson

The boosters need to shut up. The players and coaches should run the show.

ETA: Apologies to the OP, but I did not read the article. There's been about 2 every single day in the Statesman that I also skip...I just think this is an incredibly tone-deaf and idiotic conversation to have.

#4 Buck Turgidson, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Major likes this.
  5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

If you dig far enough in to the history of any tradition you will find some behavior associated with it that isn’t acceptable today.

How about instead of canceling everything, use common sense, instead.

6. Buck Turgidson

Whose common sense should we use?

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Someone’s who realizes singing that song isn’t paying homage to Robert E.Lee or slavery or whatever the argument is.

pantherheat1022 and Duke Fan like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

What if the senses of the coaches and players and recruits are a different type of common?

don grahamleone and Brando2101 like this.
  9. T for 3

T for 3 Member

They are entitled to whatever different beliefs they want. They aren’t common sense though. Common sense says: even though a historical connection can be drawn, im going to look at the thousands of people around me singing this song right now and understand there is nothing racist about what they are doing.

Duke Fan likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

This is exactly what Oxford, Mississippi says. Or until recently, any number of schools.

But hey: if the kids who make the multi-millions of money that allow the "thousands of people" to gather together and sing songs don't like it...well, why should their opinions matter?

11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

They shouldn't.

Duke Fan likes this.
  12. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't bothered to understand the other side.
    Doesn't really matter, my mind is made up.

13. T for 3

T for 3 Member

If the other side’s argument was something different than the general tone of this ongoing debate I would understand your point, but it’s not. I don’t support the confederate statue toppling either. Although I think that has more ground to stand on than this.. (no pun intended)

#13 T for 3, Oct 24, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Duke Fan likes this.
  14. Major

Major Member

It's interesting that the opinions of the people who are being forced to sing the song shouldn't matter, while a bunch of random irrelevent people's opinions should. Why not just let everyone - players, band members, alumni, all do what's best for themselves?

15. T for 3

T for 3 Member

If the players don’t want to be present for it, or the band doesn’t want to play it—fine. But they should be replaced with band members who will play it. Why should their opinion be given more weight than the majority of people, or the school administrators? In my opinion, it shouldn’t.

Duke Fan and raining threes like this.
  16. raining threes

Nice war and peace moment

I will continue to be proud of our state universities school song and continue singing it at the top of my lungs

Screw the snowflake generations feelings.

The best way to repeat history is to eliminate history which is what the snowflakes are attempting to do. Idiots

#16 raining threes, Oct 24, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  17. Buck Turgidson

Look away, look away, look away, Dixieland.

18. Buck Turgidson

Why should yours?

don grahamleone likes this.
  19. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Alright then.

[​IMG]

20. T for 3

T for 3 Member

It doesn’t. But it should, because it’s right. ;)

Duke Fan and Buck Turgidson like this.