1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020-21: Power Foward and Center Positions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Oct 22, 2020.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Perhaps, but he might take the best possible deal and leave. I did ask BimaThug if Rivers could be involved in a S/ T since he is a asset because he is a young veteran. He said Houston could do that, but BYC issues would arise along with Tilman’s possible reluctance to take back salary and to spend money.

D-rock and Dankstronaut like this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well yes and no. Of course just my opinion, I see Dennis Smith as a version of Russell Westbrook with probably
    less scoring and less assists. Struggling 3-pt shooting.

Like Russ, I believe Dennis would shine.....just that issue of, when in the playoffs, spacing. We traded Capela defender
    clogging up the paint to Westbrook defender clogging up the paint.

I don’t need Westbrook or Dennis Smith to be good at 8 different spots along the 3-point line.....just master one spot
    and be good enough to average (35%) from another spot on the 3-pt line. Then we good.

That Rivers situation is up in the air. At the moment he controls his own destiny. How does he feel about the coaching
    situation? About the departure of Morey? Vented frustrations about small-ball. Could have made more money
    elsewhere before coming back.....probably considering money elsewhere this go-around.

Problem with wants no a big center (not the 3-4 SF/PF playing center) is the resources. Rockets may not have the assets
    to acquire one. Not to vanGundy’s liking. Trading Covington and/or Tucker sets the team back two steps. Just to take
    one step forward? Not sure the Heat or Lakers needed a true center to get to the finals. So I’m not exactly feeling a
    Jeff VanGundy hire, if that is the case. He recently mentioned his team playing a 1-3-1 zone defense....while using a
    Big center near the rim. Just saying.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  3. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Trade Gordon for smaller contracts, whatever you can get.
    Re-sign Hartenstein. He proved that he could play, MDA was just stubborn and was more interested in proving his narrative than winning games.
    Re-sign Jeff Green as a backup 4-5.
    Try to keep House, but if he has to go out with Gordon to get a good starting center, you have to do it.

4. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

This was probably meant as a joke but I honestly think that Hartenstein is the best option for the Rockets. At his price, there is no one on the open market who is as young, skilled or big. I think it was a mistake letting him go for Nwaba and would’ve much rather them have cut Clemons. I really thought Hartenstein was ready for 15-20 mpg and was going to produce at a high level. He showed great potential against some of the better bigs in the league when he got PT last season. I’m pretty sure he had a 20 and 10 game against Jokic.

Hopefully the new coach and GM wont put their players in a tiny box and limit their abilities. One of the big issues I had with MDA was that he is too worried about rhythm and trying to keep the game simple. The Rockets would consistently do the same thing on offense and defense and it became way too predictable. If one of MDA’s top 8 players was completely out of rhythm (Gordon) then he wouldn’t replace them. Instead he would keep playing them in hopes that they would catch their rhythm. If the Rockets mixed things up and were able to play different styles with different players within the same game then it would keep the opposing team off balance. They need to play at least two styles on both ends to be successful.

With a big like Hartenstein they can run pick n pop, pick n roll and have him in the dunker spot as a release for Harden and WB. The problem with him is on the defensive end bc he cannot switch onto the perimeter effectively. The Rockets just have to adjust when he is on the court so Hartenstein can drop when he’s in the action. It’s not that big of an adjustment but will take practice time and the players should have no problem with it. When Hartenstein isn’t on the floor then they can run with RoCo and PJ or Green in the front court so they can switch everything.

I think that the complete reliance on small ball and the refusal from MDA/DM to change caused them to lose the locker room. I don’t think this was the sole reason for them leaving but I think it factored into the equation.

Westbrook/Gordon
    Harden/McLemore
    House/Nwaba
    RoCo/PJ
    Hartenstein/Green

That isn’t a bad starting 5. Idk if it’s championship level but that line up can easily win 55 games.

I’d like for them to be able to bring back Rivers but one of the issues this team has is that there are too many good 6’3 players. Unfortunately there aren’t enough Gaurd minutes to go around and Gordon is forced to play the 3. Ive never liked Gordon playing SF. In a perfect world Gordon, WB and Harden would play all of the guard minutes but McLemore and Rivers are too good to get DNP-CDs every game. At the same time you need a good fourth option for when WB or Gordon are injured bc that is an almost certainty. I love McLemore’s shooting ability but I think Rivers ability to drive and defend makes him a better option as a 4th guard. Unfortunately, he has a player option this offseason and could chose to go somewhere else. I think Rivers is the best tradable asset for the Rockets (maybe House has more value but idk) if he agrees to a S&T but to where and for who?

Rivers to Orlando for Bamba works financially but would the Magic really be willing to do that? Maybe Rivers to The Nets for Allen but would the Nets do that? I think both moves would require draft capital to get them done. Is there anyone else around the 5m mark who make sense for the Rockets and Rivers?

Wow, I got a carried away there.

TLDR: Bring back Hartenstein!

#44 DM'sVP, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am not opposed

Olynic is a dirty player. . . . I just don't like the guy .

Rocket River

6. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Aron Baynes for the TPMLE, Nerlens Noel for the BAE, and Jeff Green for the vet min completely solves our big man depth problem.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'll give you the unlikeliness of it all but 3y/50m isn't a sneeze. I think PJ would fit into the Nets team well too, if they would accept trading us Jarrett Allen lol... attach a 1st? PJ and a 1st for Allen? The flexibility offered in cap room via sign/trade for PJ is very intriguing to me.

Corrosion likes this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree the role of the traditional center has changed. I do like the way Embiid plays. I wish he didn't have a history of injuries. AD is more of a 4 than a 5, but his height, length and quickness was valuable for the Lakers. He is no KG through. KG would have destroyed him, because he was an alpha male. Good points about Dennis Smith. Thanks.

PS: I had no idea that JVG is still thinking about the 80's, but I'm not surprised about it. The days of Hakeem, Ewing, Shaq, Robinson, Mourning and Deke are gone. I'm certain Lucas will be the HC. Our guys will struggle under him.

#48 saleem, Oct 23, 2020
    ApacheWarrior likes this.
  9. bmd

bmd Member

Aron Baynes would be the perfect center for this team. And he’s very getable.

saleem and D-rock like this.
  10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Every PF/C *must* have a 3 ball?

Rocket River

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I mean, if we know that the best version of Russ is one that drives to the basket and removes the 3point shot from his game it would be beneficial for our bigs to be able to stray away from the paint and knock down 3s to keep defenses honest right?

saleem, Rocket River and HP3 like this.
  12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whiteside and Henson

Of course, I'd rather have KLove or Vucevic.

#52 Plowman, Oct 23, 2020
  13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

14. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Lots of options out there:

Paul Millsap
    Aron Baynes
    Marcus/Markieff Morris
    Serge Ibaka
    Meyers Leonard
    Jeff Green
    JaMychal Green

Some of them are going to have to settle for the MLE. A few of them will take the vet minimum.

joshuaao, bmelo and treyk3 like this.
  15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

are you stuck in 2014?

I wouldn’t want any of those guys at their contracts or skill set.

Corrosion, saleem and D-rock like this.
  16. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

Man I miss Capella.

Corrosion and treyk3 like this.
  17. quaczar

quaczar Member

Meyers Leonard 3p% intrigues me. Not sure what kind of contract he's looking for or if he would be a fit defensively.

joshuaao, Corrosion and D-rock like this.
  18. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

It's his own fault, but kind of a shame what happened to Noel. He turned down a big deal contract extension, and has been shuffling around the league on MLE ever since. He's a good player for that money. Not sure why he isn't sticking anywhere.

D-rock and treyk3 like this.
  19. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He would be the definition of Capela light. Honestly? He should theoretically be better than CC here. He’s much more switchable on defense and has never really had a chance to develop real chemistry.

joshuaao and D-rock like this.
  20. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Would you trade Covington and EG for Paul George???? Who says no?