1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pope Voices Support For Same Sex Civil Unions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobrek, Oct 21, 2020.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Of course. I have a problem with morality from 1st century middle eastern men. In fact I find morality on any place on the planet in the 1st century AD to be lagging behind the current times... Well because it was the first century AD.

Is this to assuming that I believe in the Quran or something?

The only thing positive about modern religon is how many people who follow it don't follow it literally.

malakas likes this.
  2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Where in the Bible does it say "thou shalt not allow gay people to have civil unions"?

malakas, Nook and Invisible Fan like this.
  3. fchowd0311

Another annoying part about conservative christians. Their selective memory of Jesus. They know deep down inside that a modern Jesus would despise Trump followers like @cml750. "Despise" is a strog word as the Biblical lore has Jesus not despising people. He would however be disappointed in the modern American Christian ideolgically. It's very selfish and self-serving.

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I find it odd how their being middle eastern matters. Seems a bit bigoted.

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As opposed to Pope Pius XII who looked the other way while Fascism triumphed in Europe and the Holocaust happened. Really? The Pope who says that gays should be happy and are children of God is the worst Pope..

6. fchowd0311

Because that's where the source of the bible comes from? You seem to be stretching here to chum up a narrative.

Yes, 1st century middle eastern morality is extremely outdated.

7. fchowd0311

Defending Nazis is less morally reprehensible than defending the gays. It's the modern evangelical Christian paradigm.

8. cml750

cml750 Member

You might want to reread my original post. I said he is the worst in my lifetime and that I am not familiar with the history but I am sure he ranks up there. The Pope is the head of the Catholic church which is supposed to practice Biblical principles. I hate to break it to you but same sex unions are not Biblical. That is not to say he should condemn same sex unions but he definitely should not condone them. I could not care less what someone else does or who they are with but as a Christian I cannot condone it nor should he.

That being said the worst thing he ever said is that there are multiple ways to Heaven. That is way worse than condoning same sex unions.

9. fchowd0311

Ya, it's bad that the pope believes that people who don't follow a narrow sliver of beliefs don't deserve eternal torture. How crazy of him.

You have a sick and twisted mind.

10. fchowd0311

There are popes in your life time who have been far more protective of child rapists than the current pope.

But hey, condoning child rape is a lesser evil than condoning two consenting adults doing some fun activities together.

11. bobrek

It is also annoying when they pray for Trump ( i have no problem with folks praying for Trump), but want to condemn the Clintons and Pelosi and others they don't politically align with, to hell.

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Sorry i don't know how old you are. I originally mentioned the Popes who sold indulgences and Pope Juilus II who split the World between Spain and Portugal but I'm guessing you're not that old. Pope Pius XII was Pope into the 50's.

Moving on. Where in the Bible does it say anything about civil unions? Also do you believe that gays are children of God?

13. cml750

cml750 Member

Yo
    The path to Heaven is really easy. All it takes is belief in Jesus.

John 14:6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

14. bobrek

Here is what the Pope said regarding an individual atheist and getting to heaven

“Be sure, he is in Heaven with Him”
    This public comment by the Pope was given in the context of a visit paid to a parish in the suburbs of Rome. While meeting kids and responding to their questions, a boy went to him in tears, telling the Pope the story of his recently deceased father and asking whether or not he is now in heaven. The boy made sure to inform the Pope that his father, though wanting his children to be baptized, was himself an atheist.

So what to say to this boy mourning his father and asking for information on his eternal destiny? Here is the answer given by Pope Francis:

“God has the heart of a father, your father was a good man, he is in heaven with Him, be sure. God has a father’s heart and, would God ever abandon a non-believing father who baptizes his children? God was certainly proud of your father, because it is easier to be a believer and have your children baptized than to be a non-believer and have your children baptized. Pray for your father, talk to your father. That is the answer.”

joshuaao, malakas and Nook like this.
  15. conquistador#11

Can you imagine going through life studying and preaching about a Jesus who loves all, the poor, children and the sick but for some reason he would not allow gays into his dope crew. (this includes hardcore Catholic leftists in Latin America who belittle the gay community)
    If the Pope is a communist so is the entire cast of the New Testament, including JC.

joshuaao and FrontRunner like this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm going to note we have many on the Right bashing the Pope the last few days while a week ago many on the Right were defending Catholicism during the Barrett hearings..

joshuaao, Nook, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  17. bobrek

Yes... because the Pope has compassion for the gay community and Barrett was a trustee at a school with anti gay policies.

Nook likes this.
  18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Not really simply middle eastern...it was largely written in greek and infuenced by the writers' education in greece in some cases.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Kind of makes you wonder who speaks for the church. Amy Coney Barrett or his Holy Eminence..

20. cml750

cml750 Member

Of course they are children of God. What they do is between them and God. Neither I not the Pope should judge them. I personally do not care what they do but Biblically I cannot condone it.

As for scripture against same sex unions. God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah for homosexulaity in the Old Testament. As for New Testament scripture:

Matthew 19
    4 “Haven’t you read,” he replied, “that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’? 6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.”

Romans 1
    26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

Corinthians 6
    9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men

Timothy 1
    8 We know that the law is good if one uses it properly. 9 We also know that the law is made not for the righteous but for lawbreakers and rebels, the ungodly and sinful, the unholy and irreligious, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers, 10 for the sexually immoral, for those practicing homosexuality, for slave traders and liars and perjurers—and for whatever else is contrary to the sound doctrine 11 that conforms to the gospel concerning the glory of the blessed God, which he entrusted to me.