1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: JVG at the Forefront

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Is a Rolls Royce a better version of a Nissan?

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

That's my thought too. I mean, why give that up? He's good at it. It's easy. For those who don't remember, JVG looks like DEATH when things go bad. He literally looks like he could die at any moment, the dark bags under the eyes, you know he doesn't sleep. Why would he want to put himself through that again? Hell of a coach though. Love the guy.

3. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

Wanting to win and spending money to win are 2 different things. If he hires JVG then he is spending and wants to win. Silas might be a better option overall but would be cheaper and he can spin it that he wants to win. Lucas is just the cheapest head coach available in the NBA besides me. I'm a realtor and probably make more a year than what he would offer Lucas. Hey Tillman, match what I make a year and I'll coach that team aka let Harden run the offensive.

P.S. I got kicked off my High School team for talking too much S**t when I played. I also was not good enough to talk as much as I did. But it was the only way, I was an above average player. F U Sam Rayburn for cutting me and ruining my dreams of being a fat white version of Jordan who could not jump.

BHannes2BHonest and Ramo$e like this.
  4. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Who ever the coach is, I hope they realize that Russ has to have to ball in his hands now. The traps on Harden have been too effective especially since this offseason will be full of vet minimums.

jacoby likes this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You could say Harden perhaps reached his peak of what he can learn from MDA and another coach needs to *add onto* what Harden already has. Maybe JVG can unlock something new in Harden? Who knows.

6. Nook

Nook Member

No, I think you are completely right. What MDA taught Harden is amazing but Harden is now a master at that. JVG has other strengths that can help make the Rockets and Harden a better team.

I have concerns about JVG’s in game adjustments and he can get so bogged down in every game being a struggle. However his teams are prepared and play hard and usually play smart.

jiggyfly, amaru, Richie_Rich and 5 others like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Whoever runs the Rockets offense has to find a way to get the most out of Westbrook at the most important times. That is why I was excited about Joerger and Silas. They both are skilled and creative. Same with Finch. I am really hoping that SVG let’s Finch go and Finch joins JVG in Houston.

8. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am fine with JVG+Finch.

There was a report that if JVG was hired he would pick Mike Miller from NYK as an assistant.

10. Nook

Nook Member

I tend to harp on the flaws of JVG, but one thing he does as well as any coach in the league is build a great staff. Miller is well thought of and would fit with Jeff. I would like someone really innovative though as well

jiggyfly, TMac'n, Richie_Rich and 7 others like this.
  11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Finally some good news.

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Let me ask you this. If we were to go with Silas, do you have any assistant coach preferences to complete his staff?

Somebody established? Defense oriented? Both?

13. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Can't wait to see JVG dark bags under his eyes.....

Invisible Fan likes this.
  14. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

He can come back to TV if he fails 2.0. Speaking of bags, you should ask that Rays Snell guy.

15. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

16. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Re-hiring a coach that has already been fired from your organization is beyond stupid, and obviously desperate.

17. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Pie-eating contest? Shelbourne

Nook likes this.
  18. DaneB

DaneB Member

Woj wins hands down. Windy is a bag of wind.

19. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Will Tilman pay for the staff he wants?

20. Nook

Nook Member

If Silas was named the HC, he would need an assistant with a strong background with defense. Most the candidates are under contract as assistants so the Rockets would need to pay an assistant well and offer the associate coach title.

The first candidate that jumps to my mind is Unseld. He is very successful defensively and has been for multiple years and stops. He also has a history of leaving a franchise because he wasn’t promoted. So he is a guy that may leave Denver for the Rockets if given a raise and named associate head coach. He would be an exceptional hire.

Others to possibly target and give the associate head coach title to are Michael Longabardi. He has been successful multiple spots and would do a good job. He is one of the ten best in the league defensively. Darren Erman is another candidate. He is prickly but really good defensively and bright.

There are other choices but they are expensive. The Rockets could offer Lionel Hollins the AHC job and pay him a head coaching salary, he may come.

Nate Reinking would be someone I would consider as well... Jama Mahlalela...

As just an assistant I would for sure hire Chase Buford if he would be interested

amaru, Deuce, Rudyc281 and 1 other person like this.