1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Not a single word about Morey from a single person within the NBA - China the true reason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Whether you agree or disagree with the NBA for putting Black Lives Matter on their court they showed their true colors by taking it off. Money is more important than anything but they go parading that they care.

fckbandwagons, hajkov, Jontro and 3 others like this.
  2. hakeemthagreat

Not a single word? I guess that's Tilman's fault too!!!

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

One thing I wonder about is if/when Morey will bring this up, now that he doesn't have a job to lose by discussing it. The only reason I can think of that would keep him silent is if he wants another GM job one day.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There was a hidden ban on Sam Heinke.

I don't doubt there's a short one on Murray too.

That's why he should visit Sam in Silly Valley and dabble in that VC money until China's butthole loosens and some desperate owner hands him the keys.

5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Everything goes the way of China.

Morey exiled for a year from the league, Silver bows down to Chinese money, LeMao and China's favorite team Fakers win the title.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Just went to check if Royce White has said anything

more interesting, discovered the dude has 94k followers, but follows 0 people. lulz

[​IMG]

#26 heypartner, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Or they listened to fans who said they had little interest in hearing politics from their past time hobby.

But yes, the NBA is a business, not a charity. Has anyone ever seriously challenged this idea?

NBA Owners: We're here to make money.
    Delusional fan: How dare you! You're showing your true colors! You're no fan, you're just here to make money!
    NBA Owners: ....

Jontro likes this.
  8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

James Harden Adidas Tour in China.

Is quite a big deal, with Airports flooded with Chinese Fans wanting to see Harden.

When Kobe Bryant and Tracy McGrady went to China, the Airport was so crowded.

D-rock and daywalker02 like this.
  9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Morey is not retiring why would people say anything

10. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

This dosen't include one tiny detail: According to Sam Amick's article in the Athletic, Morey made it known to Fertitta after leaving the bubble he was thinking about leaving. Therefore, it's possible Tilman told the Chinese Morey was stepping down and that's why the ban was lifted. Pretty damning, I think.

To be clear, I still think this was Morey's decision. His job has gotten tougher, the China thing weighed on him (although I'm sure he supports Hong Kong I don't think he intended his tweet to blow up like that), and he knew the Rockets future was dark. After the bubble he was like, forget this I'm going to take some time off. Tilman probably took the opportunity to smooth things over with China, delayed the announcement so it wasn't super obvious, but couldn't delay it more without risking alienating coaching candidates who felt like they were lied to.

napalm06 and Invisible Fan like this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The silence is weird. Imagine if Presti or Ujiri stepping down and no official tweets talk about it other than the owner saying some standard appreciation stuff.

DreamShook, Jontro and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think Morey leaving is partly his decision, but wouldn't at all be surprised if there was some sort of pressure from the league for him to take a year or two off.

#32 durvasa, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    DreamShook and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. ilias

ilias Member

This is an NBA decision because of China.
    Morey is not coming back to the NBA.
    They reached a settlement. He will get the full salary for the 4 years remaining in his contract.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

It was time for a change regardless of the reason.

Jontro and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

China Money and Sponsorship are paying off James Harden $43 Million a year Contract along with Russell Westbrook $44 a year Million Dollar Contract.

Daryl Morey biggest Flaw for years was being so Arrogant and Cocky instead of being quiet and improve the team through the Draft in which he never did since 2009.

His last good draft was Carl Landry, Aaron Brooks.

Trading for Kyle Lowry, Goran Dragic, Luis Scola, Donatas Montiejunas, James Harden.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Harden has been active on Twitter in a really long time.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

When was the last time a GM got any recognition upon leaving? I can't remember anything like that ever happening before.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think it's different with GM's like Morey who has(d) the visibility of a coach. There are very few GM's the NBA casual knows - Ujiri (is he a GM?), Ainge, Pelinka, Presti. But yeah, I cant remember there being any recognition for a GM leaving. It's just everyone knew Morey and his analytics movement. Players, fans and Media know who Morey is which makes the silence weird.

Easy likes this.
  20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yes, it's about China.