1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 finalists are Stephen Silas, Jeff Van Gundy & John Lucas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Oct 16, 2020.

1. fattz

fattz Member

Random though

Hire all 3 of them

They look like they could all fit as one and balance each other out.
    Each having a key role with the team.

Offense / Defense / Development

Instead of the branches of government we now have the branches of Rocket’s Basketball. This way the ******* owner is the head coach —> he is in the spot (Smart person in the room) then the other 3 are the highest upper level associates —> fall guys.

#41 fattz, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    D-rock, KelvinCato13, 18pbr and 2 others like this.
  2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...ornets-nba-assistant-coach-how-practices-work

After reading up on Stephen Silas, I really like him. Detail oriented, fast tempo offensive philosophy and players think highly of him and love working with him. With 20 so years experience as a scout and asst coach he seems like he just need that one big break. Reminder he was instrumental in development of lebron in his first 2 years as well as doncics first two years. I would love to see him get a chance.

Jayzers_100, D-rock, Deuce and 7 others like this.
  3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Remember Steve Kerr did not have any coaching experience. I mean none when he took the Warriors to win the title in 2015. Silas has 20 plus years as a scout and asst coach with interim coach mixed in. Either you take a chance with a young bright basketball mind or get an old veteran head coach who may have already reached the apex of his career and plateaued or is obsolete. I would gamble just as warriors gambled with kerr. But in your defense this is a different situation than warriors with 2 stars at their prime unlike the young upstart warriors 6 years ago. I think the rockets liked JVG from the beginning and i think that’s where he will be ultimately. Unfortunately. His style is just not conducive to this team unless he has gone through drastic philosophical changes. Either way im intrigued with next season. Go rockets!

D-rock and Lawlruschang like this.
  4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

You are absolutely right on Silas. I think he could be. And Silas has been both a scout and as an assistant he has more years than Nurse. But both are relatable to players, bright, and has a great feel for the game. Like I said either take a Chance like what toronto and warriors did with first year coaches or hire an old plateaued coach that may or may not have changed his offensive philosophy.

5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

yeah I really like this guy. Well versed, grew up around the game, has scouting and coaching experience. Just needs a chance the way nick nurse and steve kerr had.

6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And Steph...he’s the one who started the two ball dribbling exercise with Curry he still does before every game.

ball king23, D-rock, fattz and 2 others like this.
  7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

yeah i agree here. Its up to management I suppose. The players I’m hearing has input as well and especially these days the players voice is very important in hiring decisions. Silas is bright, relatable, and experienced. Players love him and have described him as being a mentor and leader etc. Nick Nurse and Steve Kerr got their big breaks and Silas could very well be in this mold of young bright up and coming head coaches.

D-rock, Rudyc281 and Lawlruschang like this.
  8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

How do you know Silas or Lucas wouldn’t do that? And remember its not just about pushing players but how you do it in a way to empower, motivate, and challenge them to be better. Can JVG relate to this generation? Do the stars accept his system and philosophy? Does his style work with this roster? These are some things taken into account in these hiring moves I am sure.

D-rock and fattz like this.
  9. Caesar

Caesar Member

Silas is my pick but im not going to be upset with JVG. If his usual loyalty to his assistants weren't already in higher positions now- Thibs in NY. Ewing at Georgetown. Mark Jackson at ESPN and only leaving for head coach position. SVG still interviewing for hc positions and got his tnt job. Steve Clifford with Orlando. Greer joined thibs in NY. Who else was there? Charlie Ward? Lol. Very curious to see who JVG would want on his staff and if he'd let the new GM pick the assistants.

D-rock, Stephen_A and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I don’t think JVG is going to allow the GM to pick his assistants. He likes control too much.

D-rock, Rudyc281 and Caesar like this.
  11. Caesar

Caesar Member

which is why it's odd that apparently JVG was Moreys guy and Tilman doesn't want him. You'd think JVG's approach lines up more with Tilman's. Although of course that's from a guy named Bra Bra on twitter so...yeah...

D-rock likes this.
  12. Caesar

Caesar Member

Who was on JVG's USA staff?

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Yesterday they were saying the opposite that JVG was Tilmans guy and Morey wanted Ty Lue... Its all people throwing crap at a wall and seeing what sticks.

D-rock and Caesar like this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Just either Silas or Lucas

daywalker02 and fckbandwagons like this.
  15. blackistan

blackistan Member

The cheapest option shall be selected....'save money live better' Tillmans motto

16. Buzzlite

Buzzlite Member

I’ve been all for Silas since the interview process started. You’ve gotta give these talented assistants a shot to be the next top head coach in the league. I’d rather have a “Spoelstra” esque hire than a coach we’ve already seen in the past.

Caesar likes this.
  17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

If the next step is to consult the players, it’s John Lucas. What a ****ing joke...

bballjunkie and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. fattz

fattz Member

Does Lucas leave if he is not selected?

19. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

20. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Exactly. Tilman doesn't care about winning nor the fans. Only his pocket.