1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to consider Ty Lue or JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Sep 15, 2020.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

guys take years to improve and we have a 2-3 year window. we also have a hell of a developmental coach already in John Lucas. what we need is someone who can make some in game adjustments. that wasn't MDA and its not Doc. Although Doc comes with some appeal otherwise. He has the respect of the superstars and can hold them accountable, and he has the gravitas to actually get the national media to change the narrative about our team.

I'd still rank my choices as:

Lue - game management, championship experience
    Silas - mentored by don nelson (small ball), Carlisle (#1 offense), Clifford (JVG defensive disciple)
    Hammon - Pop says her bball IQ is on par with Kerr and Carlisle. National media would love it and root for our team.
    Doc - aforementioned ability to change the national media narrative about us and will garner respect of the stars to hold them accountable.
    JVG - game management and defense, but hasn't coached in the NBA in 13 years

Atkinson and Cassell would be real fall backs. not the right fit for our 2-3 year window. neither is doc as he has similar flaws with in game adjustments and rotations as MDA has, but he also brings some positives in other ways.

Doc and JVG will probably be out of the price range for tilman. Lue might fall into our price range if the clippers and Sixers hire other coaches, but if one of them wants him tilman won't win the bidding war. Hammon, unfortunately wasn't reported to be scheduled for an interview this week. might not be on Morey's list at all. I'd bet Lue is the reach and Silas is the fall back.

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

those quotes are from the owner and the GM who didn't want to work with him. Neither did his assistant coaches, and no one else in the organization either. Steph and clay loved him but there's more to coaching than forming relationships. No one ever takes away that he was a good defensive coach and formed relationships with the players, but at the end of the day the whole organization didn't like him. Why sign up for that here? There are plenty of other good coaches who people like to work with.

3. ball king23

ball king23 Member

Give me Ty Lue back the Brinks truck up give him what he wants

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

#164 J.R., Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    D-rock and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this is big news. Seems that every time there's a vacancy around the league reports say they're interested in JVG but he never schedules an interview.

I'd rather Lue or Atkinson. However, if we can pair JVG with someone like Finch or Cassell as AHC to balance him out I'd be very happy.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  6. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Finally some news on actual interviews and progress

D-rock likes this.
  7. ball king23

ball king23 Member

I would go with Lue anybody that will challenge is my guy

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tyronn Lue is the leading candidate to be offered the Clippers head coaching job, sources said.

The Pelicans have four finalists for their head coaching job, including Stan Van Gundy and Ty Lue who are meeting in New Orleans with team officials this week and are seen as the expected choices to be offered the job. Two more finalists are expected to interview next week, sources said. Sources added Lakers assistant Jason Kidd is not part of the Pelicans’ process right now.

– Shams Charania

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I never thought SVG would be a candidate to head coach again in the NBA.

Just don't give him front office powers ever again. What a disaster that was for the Pistons.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

also is the reason that tim duncan didn't go to the magic

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Wait what? SVG was not the coach at the time when Timmy was going to go to the Magic.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

welp lue to the clippers

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  13. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

14. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Can someone excite me about any of these? I like JVG, but am skeptical about how long he's been out of coaching.

15. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

He has more recent head coaching experience than Silas or John Lucas.

Excited yet?

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

John Lucas’ bid to land the Rockets’ job, which @NYTSports reported last week was gaining steam, has gathered even more momentum, league sources say https://t.co/KBskHELVHk

— Marc Stein (@TheSteinLine) October 15, 2020

Jeff Van Gundy remains a co-finalist in Houston and was still talking to the Rockets today after their initial interview Wednesday

But Lucas, league sources say, has at least three key admirers in the organization: James Harden, Russell Westbrook and new Rockets GM Rafael Stone

— Marc Stein (@TheSteinLine) October 15, 2020

17. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unbelievable. Strap in folks, we're about to hit rock bottom.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

Ty Lue is leading the Clippers to the best ORTG of all-time, literally #1 ever ever ever and Kawhi, George, Bev and Batum are all missing games.

Add this to the long list of **** I’ve been right about on this forum. While the forum has been completely wrong and misled.

Jontro likes this.
  19. riko

riko Member

It couldn’t get any worse then now

20. riko

riko Member

Should have signed lue..