1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Marc Stein) Ty Lue to meet with Rockets early next week

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Oct 10, 2020.

1. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

Why do people think Ty Lue is such a good coach? He had Lebron and Lebron has clearly shown how good a player he is no matter what the squad around him looks like. He got fired the year after they went to the EC Championship (won one too) for 3rd year in a row.

I know Phil had Jordan and Pippen, Shaq and Kobe, but he had a coaching philosophy, implemented the triangle everywhere he went with Tex and really did seem to be "The Zen Master" when it came to getting players to gel together.

Just trying to understand his pedigree and do not want to dig for it!

2. Nook

Nook Member

What is it that you want to know?

If you are asking if his coaching can be boiled down to a simple system like MDA or Phil Jackson; the answer is not really. In fairness to him, he inherited a veteran team and didn’t really have time to develop young players to fit his philosophy.

He has discussed his “truths” before and philosophy. He believes in a faster paced offense with ball movement. He believes players should NOT break from that philosophy unless the coach tells them to. He believes teams can be lured into breaking from their system by defenses (for example open 3’s).

He believes that coaches need to be somewhat selfless and understand that it is a players league, and more specifically a super star league. He believes in being straight forward and approachable with players. He is known to be quiet and observant. He has said the regular season is somewhat practice for the post season.

He is known to respectfully stand up to star players, but also give them lots of rope as long as they run the teams system.

He has a gift for making adjustments and anticipating what an opponent will do. He also has shown he can take pressure and execute. For a team like the Rockets that is invaluable.... he played with Jordan, he played with Shaq and Kobe and he coached LBJ... he won two titles as a player and one as a coach.

BigMaloe, Deuce, Dgn1 and 9 others like this.
  3. 18pbr

18pbr Member

Keep in mind Vogel was trash as hell with the Magic. But clearly he can coach his ass off with the adjustments he made during the 2020 playoffs.Personnel does matter as well.

jiggyfly and amaru like this.
  4. amaru

amaru Member

It definitely feels like this is Lue's job if he wants it.

saleem likes this.
  5. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Lue to interview next week.....

Lol

6. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

True about Morey. We will end up with Lue because he plays Morey style smallball. He does what he did in Cleveland and just rolls the basketball out and lets his stars dictate the action with a small lineup. Perfect coach for Morey. He is basically going to be Biden.....there in person as a figurehead coach as others make the decisions.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It seems like the cons outweigh the pros to me. How can you adjust without having the right personnel?
    The stars have to accept change. Harden is more flexible than Russ. More Moreyball will lead to failure.

amaru likes this.
  8. lionaire

lionaire Member

My guess is that it'll come down to one or the other

Glad this happened.

#68 lionaire, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    HP3, Rudyc281, TheRealAllpro and 2 others like this.
  9. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

I called this when it was announced he would interview. Its a dumb worthless hire so there was no way it wasn't going to be him. I hate this more then MDA.

10. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Maybe being leaked by Lue’s camp to get the Clippers to act sooner? Especially the part about “Houston May make offer before Clippers finish their interviews”

Rudyc281, D-rock and lionaire like this.
  11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I hope so, I really don’t want Lue

xiki and D-rock like this.
  12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he doesn't come in with a dogmatic philosophy. which is a good thing. instead of making players fit into what he believes is best, he tailors his schemes around his personnel to get the best out of them. with the Cavs he ran a lot of Iso and PnR because he had lebron and kyrie. I'm sure he'd do a lot of the same with harden and rus. after kyrie left he ran more off ball motions with lebron as a passer to get open looks for the role players because that was what best fit for that group. I think he's shown to be willing to tailor the offense which morey will like since morey has strong beliefs about offense. his teams always finished top 10 or top 5 in offense. sure he had lebron and kyrie but we have James and rus.

he's also shown an ability to make in game adjustments (subs, strategy, clock management) under pressure. this is one of the most important skills for the rockets next coach since morey/harden run the offense and they want to switch everything on D. so the coach just has to be able to manage the superstars and make in game adjustments. lue has proven very capable at both.

defensively his Cavs teams struggled during the regular season. this was in part because the veteran players were just waiting for the playoffs and also because he was using the regular season to practice for the playoffs. he knew they were going to face the warriors in the finals and he wanted to trap them off screens, so he trapped every screen against every team all regular season weather it worked against them or not. to be fair they did end up making the finals each year so maybe that practice time was worth it. I'd prefer if we hired lue that we had a defensive coordinator to mix things up during the regular season and not only focus on the playoffs. I think our guys are willing to compete all season. not sure those Cavs teams here since they knew they had lebron and were confident in coasting until the finals.

all that being said, what defensive assistant is available if we hire lue? or Silas? I think if we hire Atkinson or JVG we can at least aim to bring in finch or cassell to balance them out with player management and offense. I still think lue is the best overall available but I wonder who the defensive AHC will be.

we know morey likes to pair the HC and AHC. in 2016 he created 2 pairs to present to les. Silas and Hollins or MDA and bzdelik. I think morey will probably do the same this time. I'm sure he likes lue, Atkinson (we heard did well in the interview), and JVG he's wanted to bring back for years. now it comes time to pair them with AHC who can balance them out and cover some weak points. so a deciding factor between the 3 may be which AHCs are available and what everyone's price will be.

#72 smoothie, Oct 13, 2020
    Rudyc281 and lionaire like this.
  13. Juxtaposed Jolt

Nothing against him, but the only star player he's ever had is LeBron James. And it's extremely difficult to be a 'rookie' head coach while also 'telling' the best basketball player (maybe ever), what to do.

I'm not saying he would be a bad coach. But when the sample size is literally LeBron James, it makes it hard to gauge how much of Cleveland's success was because of Lue's coaching and not LeBron's play.

Bringing up the fact that he won titles as both a player and a coach is misleading. In the two titles that he won, he played with early 2000s Shaq and Kobe. Those teams were absolutely fantastic, but he didn't really have anything to do with it.

The title he won as a coach, again, has LeBron James as a variable. One that he won't have, if he becomes the Rockets next HC.

HP3 and lakersuck2 like this.
  14. Juxtaposed Jolt

It's fine to do this in the (L)eastern conference, but the western conference is a whole different ballgame.

A LeBron-led Cavs team could have been seeded anywhere between 1-8 and still reach the Finals, because as you said, they simply just had to make the playoffs healthy.

Can't coast in the West, and you certainly won't have a LeBron James to even try.

D-rock likes this.
  15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

why wouldn't his player management and game management translate to the west? or his willingness to build an offense around what his best players do best?

16. rockets13champs

if this is a bidding war he’s going to stay in LA

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. rocketseagles07

He’s driving the price up. If it’s a choice between us and them the EASY choice is LAC.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Please LA! take Lue and save the Rockets from moving even further backwards

[​IMG]

19. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure this was leaked by Lue. I don't remember Woj having a great relationship with the Rockets to be getting this kind of information. Besides, what advantage do the Rockets gain by leaking this information (be outbid by Clippers lol?).

#79 ElPigto, Oct 13, 2020
    JoeBarelyCares, D-rock and HP3 like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Lue was a key rotation piece with the lakers not true that he nothing to do with those titles.