1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official ALDS] Astros vs. Athletics

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Happy Greinke day!

2. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

I would prefer it. :p

jiggyfly, Surfguy and htwnbandit like this.
  3. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Great news is Astros hit Montas hard on August 29th in a 6-3 win with Grienke on the mound.

4. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I hope they didn't rush him back to start today and he actually feels good to pitch.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

You act like its commonplace to ask a relief pitcher, who's been nothing but shaky all year, to try and go two innings like its normal.... especially a pitcher who hadn't pitched in over 3 weeks. Especially one who was not particularly sharp the inning before, and went on to give up consecutive hits before the eventual HR, and there wasn't much of a plan in place to bring anybody else in (till the **** started hitting the fan).

If you don't want to place blame on the manager for putting him in that position, and you feel its better to blame the pitcher being asked to do something he's not conducive to doing, I guess that's your stance... can't say it makes much sense though.

The fact that Greinke is pitching today also speaks volumes that they feel Javier is certainly better suited to relief right now, with his low stamina. They certainly are being tasked to split the game up today... or Javier could have conceivably taken the end of the game yesterday.

Kim and everyday eddie like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Point of Order: James pitched into a 2nd inning 4 times this year (2 starts, 2 pen) and had last pitched 2 weeks ago (Sept 22)

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  7. SuraGotMadHops

Ok, now that we know Grienke is starting, it makes what happened yesterday make a little more sense in my mind. The plan today will likely be Grienke/Javier tandem, with Paredes and Pressly also available since they did not pitch yesterday. Zach just needs to give us 4 solid, hopefully 5. Then ride Javier as long as you can.

8. Buck Turgidson

This would be ideal. They better win this game, I do not want to see a Game 5 given our pitching options.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Looks like Greinke today, and Reddick.....maybe Javier.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Does this count that time James came out for 9th after pitching the 8th, loading the bases to create a save situation, and Pressly had to come and get 3 outs?

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. Screaming Fist

Even if you agree with sending James back out for the 7th, the fact that Dusty didn't have someone already warming to begin the inning is totally indefensible.

12. Buck Turgidson

Nope, I had blocked that game from my memory. James and Pressly combined for an ugly 9th...iirc the 3rd out was a ball smoked to CF that Springer caught with the tying runs on base.

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wait?

Didn't he just pitch a scoreless inning before that one?

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Never got through the second inning though out of the pen.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't remember the details much except it was ugly. I thought James had walked the last batter before getting yanked. Last night reminded me of that night.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

That's been his MO all year. I was flummoxed at how often someone wasn't ready. I have no idea if that has been his style throughout his managerial career.

17. Buck Turgidson

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Oh well, as Willie says "yesterday is dead and gone". Just win this damn game.

After a Saturday-Tuesday of daydrinking and sportswatching, I went beer-free yesterday, and was seriously regretting it. No way in hell I'm doing that today. Please let me take tomorrow off, Astros.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

ALCS bound after today. Go Stros!

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Never underestimate the heart of a cheating champion! ;)