1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HELP] I want to make the worlds best salsa

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FishBulb913, Oct 7, 2020.

1. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

Wedding gifts are rolling in and I’m very pumped about the food processor because I am a salsa addict but I’ve never made it myself, please share your wisdom!

Jontro, tmoney1101 and Xerobull like this.
  2. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

What kind of heat you want?

Xerobull likes this.
  3. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I like a good amount of heat but I’m open to anything very flavorful.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Youll need tomatoes, lots of tomatoes.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

in my experience when it comes to salsa, the quality/freshness of the ingredients are far more important than the recipe

rocketsjudoka and Nook like this.
  6. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Best salsa is made with grilled/charred tomato’s &chiles. Add Garlic cloves/garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste.

ditch the food processor and get one of these bad boys lol

[​IMG]

JumpMan, R0ckets03 and donkeypunch like this.
  7. donkeypunch

Yes. Roast everything. Also, a big bowl and the bottom of a pint glass works pretty well too. LOL.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

1. Buy Rotel
    2. Dump Rotel into food processor
    3. Without running the food processor, pour the Rotel out into a bowl
    4. Salsa

RustyHarden, ATXNekko, Blatz and 3 others like this.
  9. donkeypunch

5. Profit

RustyHarden, Blatz and Buck Turgidson like this.
  10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The best salsa to me is usually something simple. Serranos, tomatoes, cilantro, onions, lime juice, salt, maybe some garlic, and possibly some cumin. That's about it. If you want more heat, just add more serranos or go with habaneros. If you're a true chilihead, go with a trinidad scorpion variety or carolina reaper.

I've never made salsa verde, but it's just as simple, but you have to find some good tomatillos.

Nook, tmoney1101 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  11. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

How will you know if it is the world's best?

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Roast tomatillo, serranos, green onions, garlic. Blend with tiny bit of oregano, add salt, and ungodly amounts of oil as its blending.

Taco stand bottle green sauce recipe.

13. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

What this guy said :). Serrano peppers are the ****.

14. Buck Turgidson

A molcajete is the best option, but if you don't have one just use a blender or food processor.

This is pretty much my go to recipe (I double everything), but I add a bit of lime juice. I like a 2:1 combo of serranos and jalapeno. Also, it's hatch chili season, those go great in this, just add 1 to the hot peppers. Another tasty variation to the green sauce is to add a diced avocado and blend it until almost smooth. If you want red salsa, just replace the tomatillos (I like roma tomatoes), often grocery store tomatoes are under-ripe, may have to leave them on the counter for a couple of days.

Lime, salt and heat is pretty much a personal preference, so you'll have to do some tasting and adjusting.

https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/roasted-tomatillo-salsa/

JumpMan and tmoney1101 like this.
  15. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Don’t forget to salt!

16. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

This is exactly right and why bottled salsa is never good.

As others have said, roast or grill the tomatoes ( or tomatillos if you want to go green ), chiles onions, garlic etc. then throw or in molcajete ( or a damned food processor if you must ). Add salt, pepper, lime and cilantro to taste and you will win.

17. droxford

droxford Member

Start with this as a base recipe, and tweak it to your needs.

tochiee22 likes this.
  18. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

*tomatillos. Roast all ingredients and blend.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I second starting with the plethora of Rick Bayless recipes. (Note he recommends both styles of peeled/seeded tomatoes -- for just the meat -- as well as unpeeled tomatoes for rustic salsa.)

Start Simple (as many have said above)

Start simple so you know what ingredients you like. Some people like more garlic, some less cilantro (or none). Some prefer the flavor of roasted jalapenos over serranos, but jalapenos don't control the heat well enough, imo, without putting too many in (which changes the flavor too much). So I'll do charred jalapenos for my prefered flavor and rachet the heat with habaneros.​

Smokey Salsa (a repeat winning style at Austin Hot Sause Festival in early 2000s)

Once you get what you like down, try smoking a portion of your tomatoes/jalapenos in a weber, to create the smokey salsa flavor as a change of pace. Not all of them, though, just some is enough. Chipotle is not needed (nor recommended) to get that "Chipotle" flavor ... it's smoked jalapenos, afterall, you could say "fresh Chipotle."

At a bbq party back in 2002 or so, I once asked Robb Walsh what wins at the Festival. (He's Houston Press award-winning food criique and one of the organizers, long-time judges of the Austin Hot Sause Festival.) He refused to answer, thinking it would be unfair for me to know. But as the party was starting to wind-down we were alone, full and satiated, and he decided to answer the question... "Smokey wins."
    Simmered Salsa (to meld flavors and create a silky finish)

Simmered salsa is also another change of pace. Char only half your tomatoes, and combine with all your charred peppers, onions, garlic (etc) and simmer them to meld the flavors together. (add chicken stock if needed.) Combine with raw tomatoes and cilantro to finish. I then chill before serving, but you don't have too.​

Simmer-then-chill method creates a silky smooth finish to the salsa ... but that requires prepping the raw tomato before adding, imo. You peel and seed your raw tomatoes, salt and let sit to draw all the water out. (Use that water in the simmer step.)​

JumpMan likes this.
  20. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Is that guy related to Skip Bayless?

EDIT: That's his brother. Cool.