1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official ALDS] Astros vs. Athletics

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 5, 2020.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

2. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

He who must not be named?

CheezeyBoy22 and raining threes like this.
  3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Urquidy for 5 and Javier for 4.

shut them down!

4. raining threes

If they dont win today, this series will come down to how well Dusty manages his pitching staff.

If say Urquidy gives then 6 innings and the Stros have a 2 run lead, do you let Javier pitch the 7th/8th, or do you save him for a possible game 4 start?

I pitch Javier today and worry about if he fails the consequences of that later. Go for it and hopefully get some time off for the staff to rest.

CheezeyBoy22 and Tomstro like this.
  5. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Greinke's arm is "structurally sound "

6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I really enjoy giving the middlle finger to every single astro hater out there. It’s a lot of fun and, well, I’m just really hoping I can keep doing it.

wholesome baseball fun.

7. Major

Major Member

You keep Javier for tomorrow in this scenario. To win a WS, the bullpen is going to have go come through at a few different moments - this would be one of them. The upgrade from Taylor/Paredes to Javier is small and isn't worth the damage you do to a potential game 4 or game 5 by wasting Javier in a situation where you only get 2-3 innings out of him.

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I don't care who wins that series, but yes, the Rays are the legit scarier team. Charlie Morton was like their 4th or 5th best starter this year, and their pen is nasty good. I also remember from last post season how difficult it was to score against the Rays, and the Astros needing their dual Aces to be great to win that series.

CheezeyBoy22, RayRay10 and desihooper like this.
  9. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

I miss uncle Charlie. Which pen was statistically better this year? Oakland or TB?

CheezeyBoy22 and RayRay10 like this.
  10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And Verlander actually wasn't that great. It was all Cole, and them figuring out how Glasnow was tipping his pitches (which got very obvious in game 5).

11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JV was nails in G1 (7 IP, 1H, 0 Runs, 8 Ks, 3 BBs). Bringing him back on short rest for G4 (3.2 IP, 7H, 4 ER, 5 Ks, 3 BBs) was the stinker.... wish they didn't try and force that one.

12. dannah

dannah Member

On top of being a snitching rat, he's a coward...

CheezeyBoy22 and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

A's gave up less runs per inning, but Ray's pen pitched a lot more innings. Rays were probably jumping for joy when they saw the ALDS and ALCS without off days.

CheezeyBoy22 and Clutch City1993 like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

This is all true........ but I will just add that the performance this post season is just more reason that Hinch and Luhnow should be brought back. These are Luhnow drafted and developed guys that were not highly touted that are emerging in the rotation and pen.... the track record for Luhnow is unquestioned at this point.

Also, the Red Sox are going to bring back Joey Cora...... the Astros should bring back Luhnow and Hinch.... they won't, but they should.

16. phasors28

phasors28 Member

I'm interested in hearing what Luhnow has to say about the scandal in Ben Reiter's upcoming podcast. From the preview, it sounds like he's not taking any responsibility. If he blames AJ directly or indirectly, I don't see those two working together again.

raining threes, CheezeyBoy22 and Nook like this.
  17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Clicks other team is doing pretty good too though. I would love Luhnow back and I would take him over Click, but whats done is done and with a marriage that you know wont work, you just have to move forward.

raining threes, CheezeyBoy22 and Nook like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Nah.... I have a 2 run lead after 6, I am going to Javier to finish it.... go for the win and let everyone rest if you pull it off.... we really need Greinke to come back healthy. He hasn't been healthy for a month, but before that he was one of the best pitchers in the AL......

I can go with Valdez, Greinke, Urquidy at the top with how they are pitching so far... then you have Javier, Paredes and possibly McCullers as well ready to go for relief with Taylor and Pressly capable of giving an inning each sometimes.

raining threes and CheezeyBoy22 like this.
  19. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

I want a blowout. Get it going in the 1st.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Listen to the lady you bunch of cowards!